Survivalist Forum banner

Home Security System help

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  arjunsingh 
#1 ·
I am planning on installing a home security system for my home in the suburbs of NJ. I do not want to pay a monthly monitoring fee. I would like a system with an audible siren, window and door triggers, a motion sensor or two, and a few cameras. I would like to receive an alert on my iPhone when the alarm is tripped and ideally have the ability to view the camera feed. I have done some research and my head is already spinning. I have a very good wireless router which provides a strong wifi signal throughout the house and front and backyard. I would love the convenience of using it but I have already run cat 5 and cable wire in the house so fishing wire won't be a problem for me. I like the simplicity of the Simplisafe system but it doesn't have a camera and it has a $15.00 monthly monitoring fee. I know dogs are the best security but our German Shepherd passed away last year and we aren't quite ready to get another big dog. Any input (equipment names, websites, etc) or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
Look into a DSC alarm system and you can monitor all signals just like a Central Station does with Connect 2 Go...It is a module that connects tot eh panel and your ethernet (hard wired) and will alert your iPhone on ANY signal you set up...Openings/Closing/alarms/ user activity just about anything the panel can transmit...With Connect 2 Go you can have 1 free account I think it might allow you more...I just have one for my house. GREAT feature!! You can actually log in and arm and disarm your system as well! :thumb:
There are solutions for CCTV also, just depends on how much money you want to spend!

If you have storage problems (computer files and such) look into Synology NAS which can also do CCTV and it will remote over the internet to your iPhone as well...Lots of options just depends on how deep you want to dig into your pocket!

#7 ·
Oddly enough I went to a party at a friend's brother's house and he showed me a Lorex 4 camera DVR system which he had hooked up for remote monitoring on his IPhone. I have been doing a lot of research and have almost completely decided on a Zmodo system. I am leaning toward an 8 channel DVR with 4 cameras for the ability to add more cameras in the future. The cameras have motion detection and the system will email a snap shot of the triggered zone to my iPhone. The budget system with 4 cameras is only around $150 bucks but it does not come with a hard drive. I think I'll splurge for one with a built in drive for a little more.

#8 ·
I decided on a 4 ch Zmodo POE camera and NVR system with a 1 TB hard drive for a little over 300 bucks. It is the newer model which powers the cameras over an Ethernet cable and also provides an HD image and video. The cameras also have motion sensing and will send me an email alert with a snap shot from the camera which was triggered. I will also be able to view the live feed on my iphone. I could have gotten a 4 or even 8 camera set up from Zmodo for around 200 bucks but this newer model is supposedly much easier to set up for remote viewing on a smart phone by simply installing their app and scanning a QR code on the NVR. I also decided on an Ismart alarm which is totally wireless. You just plug in the base cube to an AC outlet and connect it to your router via an Ethernet cable and the rest of the door/window sensors and motion sensor connect to the base cube wirelessly. The system also has a siren in the base cube. The base system costs 200 bucks but only comes with the base cube, 1 motion detector, 2 window/door sensors, and 2 keychain remotes. I spent a little under a hundred more bucks for 3 additional window/door sensors. The system will send any smart phone a push notification alerting you which sensor was activated if triggered. I purchased all the equipment already and will post how they work once it gets delivered and I get it all installed.

#10 ·
I have the ISmart alarm up and running and am very pleased with it. It took a total of 30 min to install 4 door sensors and 1 motion detector and get the entire system up and running. The audible siren is very quiet but loud enough that I would hear it upstairs in my bedroom if it went off in the middle of the night. The push notifications are instant and you even receive a phone call with a pre recorded message when the alarm is tripped. The iPhone app is great as well. I would recommend it as a basic alarm system for anyone who doesn't want to pay for monthly monitoring. As for my Zmodo camera system I have the nvr unit wired up and the Ethernet cables run to the general areas where the cams are going but have not mounted the cams yet. With work and 2 kids I barely had the time to do that. I do a little bit here and will update this thread once it is done.

#12 ·
I just got a siren to go outside in addition to the interior siren. Would you say your siren is just a little louder than a smoke detector?
This new siren is goining up on a utility pole. Got a stick of 1/2" conduit to run the wires. Got to pick up a 12v dc relay to switch on the siren.
I got to eliminate a few false alarms before I introduce the neighbors to this bad boy siren! This is a Selectone has about 40 different tones. Going to pick the one that sounds the most like a cop car.

#14 ·
I finally got the Zmodo POE security camera system up and running... Well 3 of the 4 cameras anyway. I haven't decided where to put the last cam yet. I finished running the Ethernet wires, installed the cameras, 2 in the front of the house and 1 on the back. I installed the free app on my iPhone, plugged in the NVR and once it booted up I scanned the QR code on the bottom of the NVR and the 3 camera feeds instantly popped up on my phone screen, it was that simple. I also installed the app on my wife's iphone and our IPad and it works great on them as well. The picture quality on the mobile devices is decent but I was blown away by the HD feed on the 42" LCD in our bedroom. I had to drop a VGA cable in the wall down to where the LCD is wall mounted because that is the only video output provided on the NVR but it was well worth it, the picture quality is phenomenal. It's great that all we have to do is hit the input button on the tv remote to watch all the cam feeds on the big screen. The night vision is pretty good and i had read reviews that lights wash out the night vision picture but i havent had any problems. The best feature is being able to watch a live video feed on my iPhone from anywhere. I feel the house is much more secure with the combination of the ismart alarm and the Zmodo cam system when we aren't home. The ismart alarm will send me an instant push notification if the alarm trips and I can open the Zmodo app and watch the live feeds in seconds. Sorry to go on and on but I am just very happy with both these products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.