Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a play around in the garden and made a small wood burning camp stove out of some old junk i had laying around. it worked out quite well so thought id take some pics and put them up in case any one wanted to have a go.......

I started of with a cleaned out dog food tin and a baked bean tin...

Then i cut a small section of the bigger dog food tin out just below where i wanted the bottom of the other tin to sit........

I used an old wire coat hanger to make a platform to rest the other tin on, so i made 4 holes, 2 at the front and 2 at the back and pushed the wire through......

To see how well it worked i got some dry wood shavings and got them started with a cotton wool ball soaked in vaseline. The water i boiled had a slightly metalic taste but the stove worked brilliantly. It only took me about 5 minutes to make and didnt cost a thing....

·
Registered
439 Posts
Very elegant and simple design! Looks like it works well. The only minor thing I would adjust would be to cut the wood hole just a little bit higher so that it would be less likely for embers to fall out onto the ground in front of the stove and to prevent surrounding grass etc. from catching fire. Not trying to poopoo your idea! I think it's great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yer i found when i was using it that the grass in front of the wood hole got a little bit burnt, i think that was mainly cos i didnt brake the twigs up small enough and they didnt fit inside the tin properly.

·
Looking upward
211 Posts
At first i was expecting to see something soldered or welded, what a clever idea! It wouldn't take a fella much to lay down a base of rock/gravel/sand instead of the grass...
infact Only reason I'd worry about the grass is leaving a trace and/or if it was dry enough to catch fire. Thanks for sharing!

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
I tried making one of these but i found the tin i used wasn't big enough.
So i might try to find some bigger tins to use.
Maybe a paint tin would work.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Great idea!! Do you think having another hole opposite the one you put fuel into would help in keeping fuel centered and burning, while not diminishing the heat ? Maybe allowing more air in, too? I'll build one, and get back.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i spose you could make it better by cutting the hole in the lid of the big tin only slighty bigger then the small one to keep more heat in. you dont have to use a small tin for cooking, you could use anything thats heat proof and would fit in the hole i guess.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts