Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also posted this in the farming & food section, but I thought this would also be a good place to put this- since I think this forum gets more traffic.

My first batch was used up during Ike- (and I squandered a fair number for lunches beforehand), but now that I have a cellphone with a camera- I thought to put it to use showing how I make my own MREs.

I studied the nutritional information given with regular MREs, which I attempted to duplicate. I didn't want to mess with more factors than that- so I tossed in packets of vitamin suppliments which can be added to your food.

This MRE is actually atypical. Since it's one of the top ones I made last- it doesn't have a packet of trail mix, so I added an extra pack of crackers. poor substitute for nuts and raisins, but you get the idea.

there is no single way to pack the bag. you'll have to try for yourself and see which way you prefer. I managed to almost duplicate the volume of a typical MRE pouch, but mine is somewhat heavier because of the aluminum cans. these can be heater over direct fire or hot rocks- and the big can makes a good vessel for boiling water.

The 1 gallon pouch MAY be viable for carrying water- but most of the time, the duct tape I use to keep the shape tears the bag when I try to open it. If you use a knife you may have better luck, or you may just nix the tape altogether.

Without actually figured the costs- and just shopping at walmart- the dollar store, and reusing items obtained elsewhere- I figure someone with a sam's club or costco card could make these for 1/5th to 1/6th the cost of an actual MRE.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the idea. It looks like you have all the bases covered. I probably would also swap out some trail mix for one of the packages of crackers.

This setup / idea lets you customize your calorie sources to your particular needs or tastes in a cost efficient manner.

I need preps for a family of four, so the cost issue is always present.:thumb:

·
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, that MRE had a bit of excess junk food, but again, that was because I had run out of trail mix. you might also have power bars, granola bars, ceral bars, fruit roll ups, jerky- as long as you pay attention to caloric intake, you should be pretty good to go no matter what you get.

and all the cans have pop tops.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I like Dwinds idea. Snacks can be eaten on the move so they do have a place in your meal. With the price of MRE's going to discount food stores Aldi and Dollar Tree you can save some real money buying no name brand items for your home made MRE's. If you don't use them they will always make a nice lunch for work and make a good way to rotate your stock.

·
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
reminds me of Private Pyle's canteen full of M&Ms from FMJ :D:

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
a knife will do....lol
Obviously your a strong N' nimble young man, but son, why are you bringing all this extra crap along to weight you down. The goverment issued you a multiuse insturment that can open cans much faster. It's called M-4 can opener you just point it at you next meal. Flip the opening seting from SAFE to AUTO, and pull on the little button near that funny grip and whala lunch. And after lunch a psychological doctors visit. Thats how it worked for me anyhow. Got out of the cold or hot for a while.:D::D::D::upsidedown::upsidedown:

Reality was when I enter Civil Air Patrol at the begining of the first Gulf War, I had both the very last of the C- Rats and the "new" MRE's. We tryed to keep as many in supply as squadron funds would allow, but then I bought some when I could to supplement.

Later on as I learned what I liked and what I didn't and how to cut down on bulk/weight I learned to open up the pouchs and take only the entrees, side dishes, and desserts I liked and leave the "John Wayne" crackers n' cheese/peanut butter at base.

I would also bring other cannned/dryed/ ready to eat food to supplement.

Later as I left CAP and the law was changed to outlaw fresh mil-spec rations off the market, and stolen ones were the only available ones next to the lousy fakes, I started making my own.

I'd get small boxes, the ones that house the bulk packages of Ketchup from resturant supply stores or you could buy at a packaging supply store.

I tape a P-38 from the mil surplus store on the top of everyone and then I put in a days worth of rations. So 1 box, equals one day when going out for camping, working for the EOC, or say go back in to the Auxiliary.

The great thing is is the amount of food available is only limited by your imagination when shopping at the supper market. There can food that can be eaten cold or hot. Theres the Hormel compeats which are as close to civilian MRE's as one can get. Rasians/dryed fruit, fruit in can and sealed disposable plastic cups. Canned meats and fish, pouched meats and fish. Pouched 60 Uncle Bens and Zaterans rice dishes, ready to eat pasta, ect.ect

I also put in powdered drink mixes or noodle or oat dishes and hunger bars as dessert. Again a walk up and down the isle will set you up on what can be put in your meals.

If you don't carry them on you a fork/spoon and other condiments should be added also.

To keep track of the the contents and expiration dates I tape a 3x5 index card to the box. I check the boxes every three months. The expired or about ready to expire goes to lunches and the very next trip to the grocery store means the replacments are purchased.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dwind, a super idea

I also posted this in the farming & food section, but I thought this would also be a good place to put this- since I think this forum gets more traffic.

My first batch was used up during Ike- (and I squandered a fair number for lunches beforehand), but now that I have a cellphone with a camera- I thought to put it to use showing how I make my own MREs.

I studied the nutritional information given with regular MREs, which I attempted to duplicate. I didn't want to mess with more factors than that- so I tossed in packets of vitamin suppliments which can be added to your food.

This MRE is actually atypical. Since it's one of the top ones I made last- it doesn't have a packet of trail mix, so I added an extra pack of crackers. poor substitute for nuts and raisins, but you get the idea.

there is no single way to pack the bag. you'll have to try for yourself and see which way you prefer. I managed to almost duplicate the volume of a typical MRE pouch, but mine is somewhat heavier because of the aluminum cans. these can be heater over direct fire or hot rocks- and the big can makes a good vessel for boiling water.

The 1 gallon pouch MAY be viable for carrying water- but most of the time, the duct tape I use to keep the shape tears the bag when I try to open it. If you use a knife you may have better luck, or you may just nix the tape altogether.

Without actually figured the costs- and just shopping at walmart- the dollar store, and reusing items obtained elsewhere- I figure someone with a sam's club or costco card could make these for 1/5th to 1/6th the cost of an actual MRE.
Your idea on home-made MREs really get me to thinking and I began making 2 person MREs (for me & the Mrs.) from supplies we already have. Also, since I had bought the pre-packaged MREs before, several individual meals were opened already from when we went camping last summer. I took portions from the opened ones and recombined them into the new 2 person packs. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm gonna' be makin' one like this soon.:thumb: You could throw in some of those free condiments and spreads/sauces! Great Idea.:D:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Anyone know where to find the old military style solid fuel heat tabs for warming food? I have a several new canteen cup stoves but have not seen any heat tabs in a long while.

·
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
85 Posts
nice!

Hey Larry- throw in an 8 hour emergency candle and you have a suvivalists candlielight dinner for 2 :D:

yeah red, CTD usually has Trioxane tabs. I don't see them listed here but they're in the catalog.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=295
actually, dwind, I was considering a chemical light stick per MRE, ONE space blanket (to share, of course, in a SHTF world as we will know it) and a couple of SOS water pouches. This could be endless 'fun' with a little imagination.

Thanks again

·
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hehehehe, you scalawag :D:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts