Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been growing some hot peppers and dehydration the extras and grinding into powder. This year I am going to try making my own hot sauce. I have a couple different varieties of peppers so hopefully all will go well.

If anyone has a recipe I will gladly try it and I will try to post my creations.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
4,524 Posts
While I have made great sauce from ground/dried peppers, for a long while now,I prefer fermenting them whole (just the stem ends removed) with plenty of garlic and making the hot sauce that way. This is how the better hot sauces are (mostly?) made. Yes it takes longer but like many things it Is worth the time IMHO at least. Some will remove some (or all) the seeds/membrane to help reduce the heat.

As for recipes, that is IMO "tricky" as tastes vary and getting the vinegar/sauce ratio right for say me may not be what you want/like? Some like to add sweets(like mango/pineapple etc. etc.) others do not . I make dozens of bottles every year and they don't last long with a couple granddaughters who love it, and some grandsons who do as well.

Reactions: MTShawn

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. If I have enough left over I am going to have to try fermenting. I already make wine and beer so a few more jars in the basement won't be a big deal

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
I'm not crazy about the vinegar type hot sauce like tabasco. I do get their chipotle sauce which is great on eggs.
Fresh Pico de gallo is so good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts