Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been awhile since I posted these videos, and to be honest. I forgot where I even posted them at. So here they are again.

This is one of the first videos I ever made. When I started filming, I was a little nervous about talking. Notice the watermark software logo in the corner. I had downloaded the free version and was trying it out before I bought the full version. 300+ videos later and I rarely water my videos anymore.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've heard that You can soak Cotton String in Borax water then dry it on a
clothes line to make Your own wick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i cant help but to wonder where you'd go to find the ingredients.the wax,sense,and the colors.it seemed that they were'nt items u could just pick up at the 5& dime store.i'd be interested in learning more about the proccess

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know that you can get Parifin wax blocks at any crafts store like AC Moore or Michael's and I am sure you can get the scents and colors there as well. It doesn't look as hard as I always thought it would be. Maybe something I can do with my kids some weekend to make gifts for people through the year.
Thanks, great videos!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've got a bunch of rendered deer fat in my freezer that I am going to try and make candles and soap with. The borax soaked cotton solves my problem of how to make my own wicks. I was goning to try a few different natural fibers and see which worked best. I'll make one with the cotton fiber.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i cant help but to wonder where you'd go to find the ingredients.the wax,sense,and the colors.it seemed that they were'nt items u could just pick up at the 5& dime store.i'd be interested in learning more about the proccess
I get my stuff from http://www.wellingtonfragrance.com/index.cfm.

My wife and made candles as a hobby for about 6 years now. Now that I am becoming more aware about survival, I figure candles will make a great barter item. We keep a few hundred pounds of wax around.

We use a multicooker/steamer to melt wax. It can be set to the appropriate temp to melt the wax, but not exceed its flash point.

Candles also make great gifts for friends and family members. They are inexpensive, last a long time, and personal.

As a side note, I wouldn't bother with the pillar candles. Too much effort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
wow great info. I never even thought about maybe having some wax around to create candles if the power goes out for extended amounts of time.

this is really cool

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've been stocking up on Paraffin (spelling?) since I first saw this video. I get it at the thrift shop for next to nothing. At our local craft store it's super expensive.

·
Student/Teacher
164 Posts
I just finished refilling some glass candles my daughter got as a gift. I just soak cotton string in wax for the wicks.

Used to be that you could get all the makings at the local hardware store now they only get the stuff in special order. Most candle wax I see any more is three bucks a pound. I always check the yard sales sometimes you can pickup a couple pounds of old candles for next to nothing.

I also make fire starters using old egg cartons and snuff cans filled with saw dust and a strip of cloth for a wick with melted wax pored in, or saw dust and wax in a tuna fish can for a quick camp stove. Wax is a great item to have around.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I get a TON of candles @ garage sales.
Funny.. down here in the heat, one simply cannot store them in the garage or attic... DOH !
Lotsa gals find that out too late, and offer the resultant messes for just about free.
I simply melt the wax down, and retain those (often never used) wicks for the Mason jars.
Great video, thanks !!

·
Registered
16 Posts
perafine <sic> is pretty easy to find, you can get it at wal mart, and food dye is easy to get, probably at wal mart again....but as for scents...... im not to sure where to find them, but i have never looked either

·
Mom of 2 Soldiers
533 Posts
I've made some basic emergency candles with the boxed paraffin that you get at the grocery store. Since they come with 4 little slabs, I sandwich a wick into the middle, just melt a little on one side and slap em together. Then I put it back into the box for easy storage.

I love that video! I'm going to try that too!

·
Registered
201 Posts
This last batch of melting and repouring scrap candles, I've run into a confusing problem. :eek:
Granted this isn't fresh paraffin, but can someone guide me as to why this happened ??
I'd poured them after dinner, set the jars aside, and they looked like this in the morning !
Every single one had a 2" depression around the wick !! :xeye:
I've done this for years, but this is a first !!
Did they cool too quickly or something ?? Jars were warm-ish so they wouldn't crack, but that's normal for my usual process. Sigh.
What to do about it now, and how to avoid it in the future ???
HELP !! :zombie

·
Student/Teacher
164 Posts
This last batch of melting and repouring scrap candles, I've run into a confusing problem. :eek:
Granted this isn't fresh paraffin, but can someone guide me as to why this happened ??
This is not uncommon unless you use single pour container wax. Paraffin with out adders will do this naturally if you bring down the heat slowly it helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts