Survivalist Forum banner

Are Home Invasions On The Rise or Decline In Your Area?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed in the last 6-8 months that home invasions appear to be on the rise in the United States, including my city of Atlanta.

This latest home invasion was very brazen in a very wealthy area of Atlanta called Buckhead last night. Door kicked in, home-owner (a female physician) cowering in her upstairs bedroom (she called police) while he/it ransacked the place downstairs and sole everything that was valuable and portable.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/Police_Look_for_Home_Invasion_Suspect_121609

I suggest our posting similar home invasion stories from around the USA and the world in this threadso we can gain some insight into what security measures work, which don't and how homeowner's reaction affect the outcome.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
There seems to be an increase here too. Also bank robberies and retail store robberies are a daily occurrance. Probably predictable as unemployment rises. And it IS rising, despite the 'green shoots' garbage the media spews. We here on the streets can SEE what is happening. I see the increasing number of For Sale signs on homes and businesses. We're not blind out here.
I'm never unarmed, .. never. Nor is my wife and son.

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
I've never had a break in, thank God.

I've lived here all my life and I don't believe my neighbors houses have ever been broken into.

My neighborhood is generally safe for a typical suburban setting. Once in a while you might get a domestic disturbance call, but that's about it.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
In Richmond County, Georgia (Augusta) home invasions happen daily. I moved out of the city but they still happen. Even in the country.

·
3 more years of this?
2,856 Posts
There up in my area due to the meth problem. God help the pricks that try to invade my home. A few rounds of buckshot will reduce the crime rate. Just make sure to place one in the chest and put a knife in their cold dead hands before the cops get there 20 minutes later.

·
Thanks
4,749 Posts
I am interested when the 2009 statistics get released. Our largest town in the state currently has something like 14 murder suicides (family & kids too) on record, and it seems like all I hear about is break ins.

I bet crime has sky rocketed.

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
Last one that happened around here was when some stoned kid broke into a house that he "thought" was his own.
It didn't end well for the kid. Got shot dead by the home owner.

·
Burner
668 Posts
Retail Fraud (shoplifting) is really up in my area. Another new trend is that perps are scoping out parking lots at restaurants and theaters for gps devices in "upscale" autos. They then break into the car, take the gps and the garage door opener. Once in their own car they activate the gps and if the home owner has programmed home into it, either the address or as a "waypoint" the perps navigate to the home, open the garage with the opener and go in through the garage door into the house and ransack it.

How lovely, 2 crimes for a citizen for the price of 1.

So, if you use these gps devices, hide them when your out on the town, just in case.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all of your for your excellent detailed posts.

I and my family have never experienced a home invasion, thank God. Nor have we encountered a home or auto burglary.

I HAVE been robbed at gunpoint once, about 25 years ago in Ft. Myers, Florida.

Thanks again and keep posting your excellent insight into this important issue as our economy (and society) degrades.

·
Just a rock & spear guy
1,333 Posts
HAd one happen about four houses down from where we used to live, and we moved there from a worse neighborhood !

We've moved since and have had two happen in our new neighborhood in the last year !

Fortunatly we have a strong castle doctrine here and are well armed.
Heck even my 11 year old has a gun safe in his own room.

I pity the fool stupid enough to break in here. </mrT>

·
high on truck stop coffee
15,984 Posts
A friend in a nearby city (suburban Detroit) had two young homies come to his door...posing a book sale.They quickly determined he was alone (his wife was at work) so they pushed their way into the house...beat him severely,were about to shoot him when the cheap gun they had mis-fired,one of them tried to jack another round into the chamber but the magazine fell out...& he then kicked it under the couch.So,they thumped him again,they then focused on stealing about $20K worth of electronic equipment.He had no dog...He's lucky to have survived the attack from these thugs.Not one of them was ever brought to justice...so they're still out there somewhere.

When I answer the door I have a .38 in my pocket..I'm 6'3'' 240 lbs.& ready for anything. :cool:

·
Watchman
982 Posts
Dogs can be defeated with laced hamburger. Large dogs are not necessary.......I don't want my dog to guard, I want my dog to warn me.
I disagree (at least when it comes to my dog). My German Shepherd is from a police line, and she likes five people in this world and no more (I'm her favorite, heh). I had one of my friends come over because I wanted to get her used to him, so I had him take some food and stand back, then toss the food to her from a distance. She looked at him, looked at the food, looked back up at him and growled. She wouldn't eat it unless I picked it up and gave it to her or unless I pointed at it and touched it.

She's very smart, and if she's in the back yard she'll bark if she hears anything getting too close to the fence that she doesn't recognize. But when she's inside, she just goes into alert mode if she hears anything and she lets out a low subtle growl (much like she does if someone she doesn't know gets too close to me). She once attacked the vacum cleaner because she thought it was attacking me, lol.

I've got two other GSDs (males) and one is a big baby (115 lbs) and very friendly (I have seen him get upset when something he doesn't like is going on though) as I can take him anywhere, and the other is literally a baby (4 months old) and just goes with the flow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts