Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squirrel870 posted a thread titled "It only took 26 minutes" that describes how fast things can get ugly when major roadways are blocked. It doesn't take much to think how things would get with more time than that and on a much larger scale.

Another scary reality of living in an urban, even a sub-urban area is the highly increased chance of a home invasion. The longer the catastrophic event the higher the chances. Be it for straight up looting purposes or desperate scavenging.

Living in a small town in quiet Western MA where nothing ever seems to happen my sister and her family was a victim of home invasion. A man and a few friends of her fiance came knocking one night. They let the men in because one of them was her fiance's cousin. Well this cousin pulled a gun and demanded money. Held them hostage for over 4hrs. Threatened to shoot their 8 & 4 year olds - holding a gun to their head. My sisters fiance was shot 8 times defending his children. Turns out his cousin was just released from jail and wanted money to get out of town. He took $400 cash but was still not satisfied.

This is just an example of how desperate people can easily turn on those they know. People take risks they wouldn't normally take because either the lack of consequence (won't get caught or heck there is no law enforcement because shtf) and morals change and adapt for their own survival.

Another example: A downing man will grab onto another human being - even his beloved wife and potentially drown her by grabbing on and trying to use that person as a flotation device. It is raw survival instinct.

Just things to think about. How do you see your survival playing out?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another example: A downing man will grab onto another human being - even his beloved wife and potentially drown her by grabbing on and trying to use that person as a flotation device. It is raw survival instinct.

kind of like that group of teenagers down south a few weeks ago. never try and help a drowning person without being tied off, with no flotation device you will be drown. sorry to hear about your sister people are animals and i think most people have been taught the lesson dont trust anyone as far as you can throw em ANYONE!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Not looking for sympathy. (Sister and kids are ok. Her now ex-fiance lived and unfortunately didn't make a better life with the second chance at life he was given)

Just thinking back on that situation makes me wonder about urban survival. It makes me even more irritated with the MA gun laws. On top of it all even if, in that situation my sister had a gun, it doesn't mean the situation would have ended any better.

First problem was that they were able to get into the house!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
We had a home invasion in our neighborhood just a couple of weeks ago. Two teenage boys. One of the boys was from our neighborhood and the other was from one close by. They weren't very bright and they did get caught. Our neighborhood isn't the ritz, but its above average for income levels. The boys did the crime for no other reason than the thrill. A 14 year old girl home by herself in the day time opened the door when the boys knocked. One of the boys produced a pistol. The girl managed to hide her cell phone in her clothing before the boys locked her in a closet. Naturally, she called the police. The boys were arrested minutes after they left the house. Unfortunately, they ditched the gun and the police were unable to find it. If found, the gun would have meant a bigger felony. The boys, 17 and 18 years old, will go to trial as adults.

What's to point? Some percentage of the population is already feral. No catastrophe necessary. If that isn't scary enough, I wonder what it will be like if there really was a shortage of gas, food, water, or whatever. It won't take long for order to completely break down.

KLR

·
Registered
701 Posts
Fact is no place will be safe after a wide spread disaster. FEMA and those charged with management of large scale disasters simply do not have the capacity to handle regional disasters. So when it all goes down, in most areas there will be only local support. In some places that means a lot. In many others it means next to nothing. IMHO a large scale extended disaster or series of disasters will ultimately mean hoarding. This will give way to the "every man for himself" effect and there will be no place that is safe after that. This is what I prep for and encourage others to do the same.

·
Governmentally Challenged
390 Posts
That is an awful situation and I'm glad that your family is okay and she ditched that idiot with those kind of relatives..

It's becoming more and more apparent that:

there are no "safe" urban, suburban, rural, remote places

you simply have to be better perpared and more willing to survive than your attackers may be

desparate idiotic freaks can show up anywhere and at anytime

be prepared once the SHTF and make an example of the first few morons that decide your house is a good pick.

Hell - if I didn't know their faces, I'd shoot Bear, Les, Cody & Dave, etc. I might shoot them anyway PSHTF.

Imagine scoping for a place to hit and seeing a skull on a stick in the front yard - you'll probably keep moving and search for easier prey. Unless they're really hungry and thinking brain-kabob.

·
Combat Veteran
2,275 Posts
When you surround yourself with questionable people with poor morals it definately ups your chances of a SHTF situation even when things are calm all around you. I hope several lessons were learned and people that allowed to get close to your family and friends are screened much better.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I live in the suburbs of eastern MA. . A few years ago there was a home invasion in the house behind me . A couple of years ago there was a gang related murder in a well known state park often used by familys and dog walkers . This is a quiet , middle-upper class area .
No place is safe and if/when things get really bad it will be MUCH worse .

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have had one home invasion by a drunk and one attempted home invasion at 3am which I stopped. On our scanner I hear numerous burglaries, shots fired, robberies, etc everyday. At the store I work at, pepper spray is a big seller, especially for college co-eds. I'm armed 24/7 except where prohibited. Due to the increased lawlessness, I'm rarely out after dark for anything and on orange alert all day. That's how it is these days.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I grew up in a small town and we never had to lock the doors. Now I live in another, smaller town, and ALWAYS lock every door. We don't even leave the cars unlocked over night.
One night, a few years ago, a young man came to our front door at about 2 in the morning. We hadn't yet begun "prepping" and didn't even own one weapon at the time. (Except for a baseball bat and a golf club)
My husband stood behind the front door and I went to the window to see what this guy wanted. He said he wanted to use our phone to call someone because he broke down. Always being suspicious of everyone, we did not open the door, but asked him for the name and number for his friend and we would call. He did give a number, we called and his friend was going to come and get him, the story seemed legit.
We never did open the door, and I would probably handle it the same way next time; but next time my husband will be standing behind the door with his 45 and my son with the shot gun.
Sad and sorry state of affairs these days. I even feel I have to watch my back if I go out in the yard to hang the laundry.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Squirrel870 posted a thread titled "It only took 26 minutes" that describes how fast things can get ugly when major roadways are blocked. It doesn't take much to think how things would get with more time than that and on a much larger scale.

Another scary reality of living in an urban, even a sub-urban area is the highly increased chance of a home invasion. The longer the catastrophic event the higher the chances. Be it for straight up looting purposes or desperate scavenging.

Living in a small town in quiet Western MA where nothing ever seems to happen my sister and her family was a victim of home invasion. A man and a few friends of her fiance came knocking one night. They let the men in because one of them was her fiance's cousin. Well this cousin pulled a gun and demanded money. Held them hostage for over 4hrs. Threatened to shoot their 8 & 4 year olds - holding a gun to their head. My sisters fiance was shot 8 times defending his children. Turns out his cousin was just released from jail and wanted money to get out of town. He took $400 cash but was still not satisfied.

This is just an example of how desperate people can easily turn on those they know. People take risks they wouldn't normally take because either the lack of consequence (won't get caught or heck there is no law enforcement because shtf) and morals change and adapt for their own survival.

What happen to the good old days where kids would vandalize property.It seems all the rejects go on home invasion sprees.After Chesire C.T. has become more shoot the invader friendly.There was not a week that went by where someone isn't beated or shot in a home invasion..First and for most anyone who would shoot there own family has some uncurable mental problems.
Shoot them and they might stop breaking into houses.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some percentage of the population is already feral. No catastrophe necessary. If that isn't scary enough, I wonder what it will be like if there really was a shortage of gas, food, water, or whatever. It won't take long for order to completely break down.

KLR
Wow! That makes you think! I don't have a BOL. I likely wont for financial reasons. I know I am not alone and many will have to bug in like me. But situations like you mention sure make me wish I did. :eek: This makes a good argument on the side of bugging out if you can. The problem would still be getting there. We may not have a lot of warning before a disaster strikes.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Multiple causes for "feral" nature in young people. In an ordinary functioning society, young people will get these things from within prescribed routes within the culture. When things break down, resources or parental attention becomes scarcer, then they get it from outside the society's norms. Then you've got feral behavior.

I imagine that having a home near a major freeway would be a disaster waiting to happen in a TSHTF evacuation scenario. Freeway gets jammed with tens of thousands of cars, people getting angry, hungry, tired, irritable, irrational. Your home might suddenly become a target -- and not a random one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts