Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a home invasion in my apartment complex the other day that didn't appear to be drug related and more of a random act. This prompted me to keep 3 in my 870 mag but none in the chamber. Am I overreacting? I'm also thinking about purchasing a small handgun 38 revolver or 380 so my girlfriend has something she can comfortably shoot. She's shot the shot gun but its a bit much for her even with the low recoil 2.75 ammo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There was a home invasion in my apartment complex the other day that didn't appear to be drug related and more of a random act. This prompted me to keep 3 in my 870 mag but none in the chamber. Am I overreacting? I'm also thinking about purchasing a small handgun 38 revolver or 380 so my girlfriend has something she can comfortably shoot. She's shot the shot gun but its a bit much for her even with the low recoil 2.75 ammo.
Absolutely not, as always it's better to be prepared for nothing than unprepared for something.

·
American Infidel
2,670 Posts
If you feel you need it then no it is not overreacting. That is my whole problem with the anti's and gun grabbers. No one should decide what I need and can use to protect me and mine but me.... I gave my girlfriend a sig sauer .380 and taught her to use it. I feel much better when I'm away because of that... and the 75lbs doberman helps to lol.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I keep my 870 with four in the tube...when i get an extintion i'll have six in the tube. once i get my hand gun it wil be loaded with a mag in it and a round chambered, two extra in the night stand. I also have a ka-Bar boot knife in the night stand with a AA LED maglight. you can NEVER be too carfull, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Its your life and YOU have a right to defend it. When i get the money i'll also have a .38 S&W snub for her.

the way its set up now the shotty is on my side and the night stand on hers so she'll have the handgun and me the shotty. the place is small and a window in the bedroom would allow us to escape if need be, we could also see the perps runing to the parking lot so we hopfully could get an ID on them and the vehicle.

A few mornings ago as i left for work I noticed scratch marks on my dead bolt and the door handel was broken, i wa home at the time and didnt hear anything so i went to homedepot and got one of the door alarms. it was about $15 and sticks to the door, atleast it would alert me so i'd have time to get to my guns.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Home invasions are on the increase so you are NOT being paranoid. They are a part of reality any more. If an apartment in your complex was hit, you can bet your bottom dollar that sooner or later the home invaders WILL return to your area. Why not plan to meet them and be ready for them? It would be a smart move on your part. I would plan to teach the girlfriend how to use a pistol of some sort, a carbine or small bore rifle and, last but not least, a sharp knife kept near the bed and kind of hidden away. One of the things to consider might be her being able to use something like a .30 caliber M-1 carbine or maybe a Ruger 10-22 carbine in .22 long rifle. The Ruger could be loaded, if your state laws allow, with a 50 round capacity magazine. Imagine that. Do you think that anybody would want to try to wade through 50 shots fired out of a Ruger 10-22? You can even get higher capacity magazines and drums for the 10-22 if you want. Her pistol should probably be something like a .380 semi-automatic or maybe a good .357 magnum revolver loaded with .38 special target loads. You should teach her to use the rifle first, the handgun next or in case the rifle jams and the knife as a last resort of defense. You want to layer your defense plan so she and you have a series of options available to you two.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
I bought my wife a Hi Point 995 9mm carbine. Put a red dot sight on it. It barely kicks, and is plenty accurate. It is easier to aim than a pistol.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I keep a shot gun in my bedroom and I have the tube loaded, I don't know about you but the sound of a pump shot gun racking a shell into the action is a sound I don't want to hear in the darkness of a armed home owner protecting their family! and that is exactly what one would hear if they kicked my door in.

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
YOU ARE NOT OVER REACTING

I have been home invaded myself I live in the country I started haveing weapons stashed areound the house when my neighbors homes where broken into I keep one in the chamber at all times

YOU NEVER NO when it could happen to you my homeinvasion was also a random act and not drug related

there is nothing wrong with being ready

·
Registered
5 Posts
A semi auto .380 sounds good. Defidently make sure she is familiar and comfortable with it. My cousins girlfriend ran inside their apartment once after a couple creeps were bothering her. She grabbed my cousins M9 but had no idea how to use it. Luckily she didnt need to, but it made her feel better.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts

You are not.

She'd be better off even with Low recoil shotgun ammo.

I would recomend getting her a pistol OTHER than a Snubbie .38 (Don't know if you ment to get her a snubby or not)

Take her to a place which rents firearms and let her try several.

-I recomend a Safety class. If nothing else the NRA should have one in your area.

-I'd advise you to find out the LEGAL ramifications of shooting someone. Different states force differing responsabilities upon the homeowner (Duty to flee etc)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Not overreacting at all.

Have my Ruger P90 45ACP and AR-15, both with full magazines and empty chambers, next to the bed (p90 on nightstand). Every night, 365 days a year, along with my bullet resistant vest, a flashlight, and my cellphone.

When something seems to be up I lay a couple of extra magazines on the night stand as well.

Oh, and I live in a castle doctrine state, shoot em and call the cops to haul away the bodies.

·
Banned
630 Posts
My farm is in a very rural area, the sherrffs dept is woefully undermanned, After having some farm implements stolen from my property,I talked to the sherrif and he basically told me, I would have to take care of myself in the short order....so as trekker so aptly put it, I will call for them to pick up the bodies.....In my area , there have been quite a few home invasions this year...my beedside weapons are Rem 870, Colt 1911 and an AR 15 with aimpoints and night vision on both my wife's AR and mine...She has a sig 228 on her side and a rem 870 as well....

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
You are not over reacting at all. Robberies have hit an all time high in my town. The local paper stated the following: "Citizens should carry a cell phone, whistle and something that could be used as weapon." In my town they are hitting people as they go to their car with an armful of groceries or they follow them home and hit them as they get out of the car. Those of you who live in states with a CCW are lucky. I do not have that option here. The best I can do is let my pit mix and german shepherd out on the side porch and then unload the groceries from the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Overreacting what’s that. No my friend you’re not, if anything your under reacting. Check to see if your girlfriend can handle a pistol small .380, in my opinion a pistol is far better than a revolver. Always carry your weapon and keep one in the chamber, that second to make ready could be your life. When you’re in your home keep the gun with you, when you sleep keep it under your pillow. Normally they don’t smash in to your house and make noise from hell so you can run and get your gun, their quite and catch you unaware. Three years ago my wife didn’t like me carrying my pistol or having it by the bed, when they entered they got us asleep with my gun one meter away in the cabinet. Today it’s a different story she wants me armed always and the gun is under the pillow at night. And the last thing training, keep your training up. Military statistics show that a soldier or police officer that is 90 to 95 % efficient on the range or on exercise drops to 20 to 25 % efficiency (With shooting accuracy) in combat or confrontation. Imagine if you didn’t train regularly.

·
Cover your Six!!
450 Posts
I guess everybody agrees, you must protect yourself. I have had two attempted B & E in my home while we were home sleeping. I keep the 12 ga loaded w/ 3 in the tube and one in the chamber, in the closet by the front door. Glock 21 fully loaded everynight on my night stand next to my Bible. My wifes hand gun fully loaded in her dresser. When I go to the bathroom, I bring my carry gun with me.

Home invasions are on the rise here in Central FLA, and with unemployment increasing and the recession getting deeper,....
I am afraid that crime in general will just get worse.
Remember, Gun in Hand, is far better that a phone in hand with the police on the other end.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
I bought my wife a Hi Point 995 9mm carbine. Put a red dot sight on it. It barely kicks, and is plenty accurate. It is easier to aim than a pistol.
thats exactly what my woman has near her when she sleeps. and like others here i have my mossberg 500 with 3 in the tube and 3 on the stock. 2 sitting on the nightstand. knife sticking out from between the mattresses on both sides. flashlights on nightstands.

home invasions and robberies are going up fast, and will continue to do so as the economy crumbles. i keep telling people this and they dont seem to care, oh well.

my house is small, if someone kicked the door in one try, and charged to the bedroom they would be on top of me before i could even open my eyes. i have plans to shore up the doors and put in a driveway alarm that will tell me if anyone comes up the driveway.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I don't know a sweeter sound than the AK bolt being jerked back and slammed home. As loud as a shotgun but a much different sort of sound. One that means it a bit more serious than anyone may have suspected.

Home invasions are nothing to play around with. The shotgun is just fine. Avoid overkill with the banana mags and semis. Juries won't like them. And you may have to explain them in court.

Jury's like wheel guns and shot guns.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
home invasions and robberies are going up fast, and will continue to do so as the economy crumbles. i keep telling people this and they dont seem to care, oh well.
Pay attention to this. Almost happened to me in stepford land. It will happen much more in the future as all of the good hold up sites are covered with cameras now. They know most homes are not.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts