Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Procrastinate Now
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Home heating with fireplace heat exchanger

Every winter we use the fireplace a lot. We burn about 7 chord of wood. After a few winters of really expensive heating bills I was looking for a way to harness the heat from the fireplace and better heat the house.

I have included photos of the heating system I have made for my fireplace. The total cost was about $200. The pipe was $140 total and the blower was about $60.

The heating system works even with the blower turned off, just not as effectively. I live in the city, so we purchase the cut firewood. It has been running about $150 a chord. In an EOTWAWKI crisis I think I will be able to trade for cut firewood.

What are you doing to heat your home in the winter when a long term power outage occurs?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,567 Posts
Great idea to get more heat out of your fireplace. Most of the heat goes right out the chimny.

Diddo on the insert.

We have a large fireplace in our living room and it doesnt come anywhere close to heating like our wood stoves do. Buying and installing a wood stove, or insert can be expensive, but its a great investment thats worth the initial pay out imo.

·
What would Mal do
4,781 Posts
good job...good start....used to have something very similar years ago in our first lil rental house..1100 sq ft...ran one leg of the blower through a dryer hose into the hallway that all 3 bedrooms and bath clustered around...it kept things cozy and neighbor and I would go out to woods of friends and cut trees.split it ourselves..and stock it up for the season.

home I have no..have a big woodstove insert...sucker will run you out of the house it gets so hot!

·
Banned
1,567 Posts
To the op.

Find you some friends with a significant amount of land and most will let you pick up all the dead wood and downed trees that you want. Plus you dont have to worry about seasoning the wood.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,887 Posts
No fireplace here. We have a large wood stove in the center of our house. It has a secondary combustion chamber above it, where I put a 50-foot copper tube coiled up. We use it to heat the water that circs through our radiant floor system.

·
Procrastinate Now
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No fireplace here. We have a large wood stove in the center of our house. It has a secondary combustion chamber above it, where I put a 50-foot copper tube coiled up. We use it to heat the water that circs through our radiant floor system.
It must get quite cold in Maine to have heating in the floor. In East Texas cold equals highs in the 70 lows in the 40s.

·
-------Look, I'm grey---^
405 Posts
In an EOTWAWKI crisis I think I will be able to trade for cut firewood.
Are you sure about that, if your trading for wood, they know you will need it for heat, making it suddenly very expensive. And if you live in town, what would you have to trade(don't have to answer that, just think about it). Unless your sitting on a small gold/silver/diamond mine, whatever you have to trade will run out quick and leave you with nothing else.

You might want to get you a truck and a saw and get rights to cut wood somewhere. Stock up now and have the tools to support yourself later. Don't think for a second traders will be fair, especially if the realize you need it to survive.

Oh, and that is using your head, nice design.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Got a heat exh=changer in our place and believe me it WILL heat the whole house and have me sweating like a $5 whore who just heard the fleet was in

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
the myth that stoves are ineficient and lose most of their heat out the chimney and suck in cold air is getting annoying. i can hold my hand over a chimney for a good while without getting burned try holding it 1ft away from the stove. i agree that finding ways to make it more efficient is good but you do not lose "most" of the heat out the chimney

·
Registered
361 Posts
So what are you going to barter with for Electricity to run the blower when SHTF?

When SHTF you would be better served with a Fireplace insert, it's just way more efficient.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,887 Posts
So what are you going to barter with for Electricity to run the blower when SHTF?
If you are not generating your own electricity then clearly relying on electricity is kind of dumb.

... When SHTF you would be better served with a Fireplace insert, it's just way more efficient.
However just because you do not rely on electricity does not make a stone or brick fireplace 'efficient'.

IF a fireplace is on an external wall, 50% of your heat goes outside.

'Efficient' starts when the hearth is inside the house. Fully inside so as radiated heat flows out in all directions, all directions are inside your house

Then efficiency continuous when all volatile gasses are secondary combusted within the unit.

Then efficiency continuous further when the exhausting gases are cool to the touch.

'Efficient' is when 100% of the energy is released from the fuel; when 100% of the energy is put into your home, and when 100% of that heat is held by your home.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Let me clarify what I didn't say,

"Airtight" Fireplace inserts are more efficient because they are more controlable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
not so sure

We all know fire needs oxygen to keep going. I do like your blower idea, but, as the fire needs oxygen, it is sucking all that nice warm air right back into it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts