Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to have a kit that I can grab right out of the safe quickly should this stuff come to my neighborhood. This is just to protect my home and I don't plan on going out into crowds.

How would you all suggest I hold extra magazines? I'm guessing a flashlight and a first aid kit would also be good to have? Maybe some zip ties and a knife? What do I buy to hold all these items for easy access? I've thought about a bag, but I'm not sure that would work well with a pistol being on my hip as well.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Not following your train of thought here. Truthfully.

Do your pants not have pockets? Start there. Take a class maybe?

·
MortarMaggot
3,280 Posts
1st, don't lock the stuff you may need to save your life in a safe. Wear pants with pockets (carpenter, painter pants & the like work well) then get a belt that can hold flashlight & mag carriers. If that's not enough, add a vest that can hold a few more mags & maybe a radio.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st, don't lock the stuff you may need to save your life in a safe. Wear pants with pockets (carpenter, painter pants & the like work well) then get a belt that can hold flashlight & mag carriers. If that's not enough, add a vest that can hold a few more mags & maybe a radio.
What kind of a vest would you buy? That was my first thought. Pants would work, but I'd feel better if everything is together. If we have to evacuate I can grab it along with my rifle, toss it in our vehicle (I don't have to wear it), and bet out in a matter of seconds. With pants I'd be taking the time to shove them into pockets, they could fall out in a rush, etc.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A combat shotgun and a cartridge bag like clay bird shooters use. Toss on crossed bandoleers for the visual effect.
I have those already, so that would work as well for a shotgun option. Thank you! I just need to nail down the AR one now.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Most homes have a garage in the front,keep everything there.If you are just protecting your home and not going into a crowd like you posted,you will be at your front door/porch/yard..not very complicated.Make sure you have fire extingushers and a cell phone.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
What kind of a vest would you buy? That was my first thought. Pants would work, but I'd feel better if everything is together. If we have to evacuate I can grab it along with my rifle, toss it in our vehicle (I don't have to wear it), and bet out in a matter of seconds. With pants I'd be taking the time to shove them into pockets, they could fall out in a rush, etc.
Still not following you here.

1st, do you know how to use your rifle? Truly use it? If not, then take a class, or the time to teach yourself.

It’s not a gosh darned role playing game.

Reactions: ksmedman

·
MortarMaggot
3,280 Posts
What kind of a vest would you buy?

That was my first thought.
One that fits, one that you like & can afford.

Pants would work, but I'd feel better if everything is together. If we have to evacuate I can grab it along with my rifle, toss it in our vehicle (I don't have to wear it), and bet out in a matter of seconds. With pants I'd be taking the time to shove them into pockets, they could fall out in a rush, etc.
That is called a BOB or GOOD bag. Wouldn't seem necessary to take one of those if all you're planning on doing is protecting your home as you said in your OP.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
13,397 Posts
Well, if you're in a location prone to rioting and violence, that's the first problem. Move if you can.

Otherwise, let's see:

* Self defense range tool of choice
* charged phone to call 911
* Camera and video cameras to document the aggression, ideally recording the event
* A aerial drone with video camera to record events for your defense against prosecution
* Many ABC fire extinguishers to put out fires
* Long water hose connected ready to put out fires
* Buckets of sand and a shovel to put out fires
* Full body armor including vest, helmet, and even groin, neck, leg protection against stabs and gun shots
* A scope or binoculars
* Radios, walkie talkie, etc.
* Neighborhood watch to unite
* Self defense insurance in case you are prosecuted, and a number to a lawyer you've previously engaged and retained

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One that fits, one that you like & can afford.

That is called a BOB or GOOD bag. Wouldn't seem necessary to take one of those if all you're planning on doing is protecting your home as you said in your OP.
Which I have, but isn't there something to be said about multiples being a good thing? My BOB has some mags and ammo, but I'd have to dig for them. The primary function would be to defend my home, but having another kit to grab on the way out doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

Can I get a decent vest and mag pouches for $100-$150?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still not following you here.

1st, do you know how to use your rifle? Truly use it? If not, then take a class, or the time to teach yourself.

It’s not a gosh darned role playing game.
Yes. Being comfortable and having training from various LEOs on the range is different than tactical classes though.

Not sure why you think I'm imagining it being a role playing game. I'm not looking to go into a crowd, but also realize that I'd like to have multiple magazines and equipment that I don't have to put a lot of thought into at a moments notice.

I've wanted to take classes for a while, but circumstances delayed that. Covid makes it harder, but this won't last forever. I'll take some, but would like to be prepared in the meantime. Some of the classes require a vest anyway, so getting one now probably won't be a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Pretty deep subject for a single thread, but I’ll add a few remarks.

First comment is get some good training! A good instructor will iron out issues you’re not even aware of!

For quick there is nothing like a shoulder bag! Mine holds 4 mags and has a front dump pouch for the empties and partials.

An AR or AR pistol with a light and red dot (green dot for older eyes) or a low powered illuminated scope to go with the above bag! The sling should be Ranger banded to the stock so it doesn’t get hung up on something while you’re moving through your house!

Pistol, mags, knife etc stay on yesterday’s pants hung up beside the bed ready to step into. Shoes should be there or step into farm boots by the door. All pocket stuff stays in place unless you need to charge your phone!

Pistol should be a common high quality weapon in a common caliber such as a Glock 17 or 19! Holster and mag carrier should be high quality with a good gun belt! Neither holster or mag carrier should jamb up with a little dirt, gravel or sand ground into them from ground fighting! Those stupid push button holders will get you killed!

Shotgun is a good old fashion riot tool! An older 870 is likely of higher quality! Add a light, night sights and a sling.

A bag works here too, but I prefer a neoprene duck hunter’s shell belt. Neoprene will out last the elastic on bandoliers 10-1.

Research old police riot shotgun thought as they did things that are not likely common knowledge today with the shotgun that is likely needed information with these latest riots!

Not everyone will be able to use a shotgun! All pistols and rifles should share common mags if there is more than one defender! A box or bag some place convenient with 10 or so each AR and Glock 17 mags and several boxes of buckshot is a lot better than running around trying to remember where you left the ammo!

Walk your house and property during the day and at night to see what can be seen from where! Pay attention to moving through your house and property at night without back lighting yourself! Get familiar with where the deep shadows are and where you can hide and watch!

Get your security lights up and pointed where they should be now! In a new house they would all turn on from the master bedroom as well as the traditional places.

Get a fence and locking gates set up! In many places them breaking down a locked gate gives you another level of protection when you have to explain it in court!

They will burn you out if close enough to throw and hit your house! Be prepared to fight fire too!

If you’re up on a second story balcony it’s harder for them to get into your face or to try and club you!

SD

·
MortarMaggot
3,280 Posts
Which I have, but isn't there something to be said about multiples being a good thing? My BOB has some mags and ammo, but I'd have to dig for them. The primary function would be to defend my home, but having another kit to grab on the way out doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

Can I get a decent vest and mag pouches for $100-$150?
https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=tactical vest for under $150

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pretty deep subject for a single thread, but I’ll add a few remarks.

First comment is get some good training! A good instructor will iron out issues you’re not even aware of!

For quick there is nothing like a shoulder bag! Mine holds 4 mags and has a front dump pouch for the empties and partials.

An AR or AR pistol with a light and red dot (green dot for older eyes) or a low powered illuminated scope to go with the above bag! The sling should be Ranger banded to the stock so it doesn’t get hung up on something while you’re moving through your house!

Pistol, mags, knife etc stay on yesterday’s pants hung up beside the bed ready to step into. Shoes should be there or step into farm boots by the door. All pocket stuff stays in place unless you need to charge your phone!

Pistol should be a common high quality weapon in a common caliber such as a Glock 17 or 19! Holster and mag carrier should be high quality with a good gun belt! Neither holster or mag carrier should jamb up with a little dirt, gravel or sand ground into them from ground fighting! Those stupid push button holders will get you killed!

Shotgun is a good old fashion riot tool! An older 870 is likely of higher quality! Add a light, night sights and a sling.

A bag works here too, but I prefer a neoprene duck hunter’s shell belt. Neoprene will out last the elastic on bandoliers 10-1.

Research old police riot shotgun thought as they did things that are not likely common knowledge today with the shotgun that is likely needed information with these latest riots!

Not everyone will be able to use a shotgun! All pistols and rifles should share common mags if there is more than one defender! A box or bag some place convenient with 10 or so each AR and Glock 17 mags and several boxes of buckshot is a lot better than running around trying to remember where you left the ammo!

Walk your house and property during the day and at night to see what can be seen from where! Pay attention to moving through your house and property at night without back lighting yourself! Get familiar with where the deep shadows are and where you can hide and watch!

Get your security lights up and pointed where they should be now! In a new house they would all turn on from the master bedroom as well as the traditional places.

Get a fence and locking gates set up! In many places them breaking down a locked gate gives you another level of protection when you have to explain it in court!

They will burn you out if close enough to throw and hit your house! Be prepared to fight fire too!

If you’re up on a second story balcony it’s harder for them to get into your face or to try and club you!

SD
Some great advice thank you for taking the time to help me.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yes. Being comfortable and having training from various LEOs on the range is different than tactical classes though.

Not sure why you think I'm imagining it being a role playing game. I'm not looking to go into a crowd, but also realize that I'd like to have multiple magazines and equipment that I don't have to put a lot of thought into at a moments notice.

I've wanted to take classes for a while, but circumstances delayed that. Covid makes it harder, but this won't last forever. I'll take some, but would like to be prepared in the meantime. Some of the classes require a vest anyway, so getting one now probably won't be a bad thing.
Ok. I was being a “Richard”. Plain & simple.

Lotsa LARP’ing going on at the moment across multiple websites.

Honestly, something along the lines of Midway USA’s bailout bags might work for you. Initially. Inexpensive enough to give a try.

Currently on sale & they have a “free shipping” deal if you bump your order up over $49. Super easy to bump your order up too. Just with spare parts for “whatever” firearms you use most.

Bag:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939579089

They’re pretty decent, have a few.

This can solve your concern out rite & done, to your door.

Or you can use it as a bridge while you look into load bearing gear (belt, belt & vest, vest only etc) & find what may work well for you (or not) & work with it. This takes time.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts