Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
No home short of Ft Knox is completely secure. Outdoor lights, dead bolts, Firearm locked and loaded, vigilant caring neighbors and their dog, "Buzz Saw".

One day my neighbor locked her keys inside the house. She used the button lock on the door knob. In about 20 seconds I had the door open using a plastic card.
"oh you saved me!.....but that's kind of disconserting"
Use the dead bolt when you leave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've cleared most of the debris, bushes and other items from areas that block my view of my home's parameter. I've installed cameras on three sides of my home, along with motion sensitive lights. I have a huge, loud dog. Oh, and over 20 very, very large snakes inside my home and a sign saying so on my front door (I run a reptile rescue). And I leave some very large snake skins right outside my door, like they're running around in the bushes. That keeps a large majority of the local population from being too interested in getting in my home. <grin>

·
Registered
772 Posts
Fending off the meth heads

I thought the movie Twilight should have been made with meth heads somewhere in the plot to make the Forks, WA area a little more realistic in the movie, at least to the locals.

I bought my house five years ago and on the first evening in our current house I had a knock at the door at about 2100. I'm not a paranoid type but after fifteen years as a cop and at that time, five years working in a prison, it wasn't a lot of sociology lessons that learned me that the guy standing on my porch was a meth-head. Trying to bum an old wood stove I had in front of the house. After sending him on the way and knowing I'd be going back to work in a few days I got Diego to accompany our aging pound dog shepherd.

Then we got Cheyenne

Cheyenne had ten pups

So like the impulsive animal loving fools we are we kept two pups so now we have four European German Shepherds and a Chihuahua who makes sure the big dogs are doing their job.

Oh, plus I have guns all over the place and my wife and daughter know full well the difference between cover and concealment.

I wanted a six foot chain link fence in the front of the house but my wife thought it was too anti-social (which I am) so we got a four footer. I can have a perimeter around the house when we're gone with dogs all the way around.

I know that's not fool proof but there are enough dog free houses around that the dirtbags would likely go there and skip us.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No home short of Ft Knox is completely secure. Outdoor lights, dead bolts, Firearm locked and loaded, vigilant caring neighbors and their dog, "Buzz Saw".

One day my neighbor locked her keys inside the house. She used the button lock on the door knob. In about 20 seconds I had the door open using a plastic card.
"oh you saved me!.....but that's kind of disconserting"
Use the dead bolt when you leave.
Absolutely true! Although these modern locking systems make life easier, old is gold. Dead bolt is the way to go but as you pointed... you are never too safe..just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
What have been steps that you have taken to make ur home more secure and protected.
ur?

What I have now and what I will have then are two different things. For day to day life, I've tried to make my home secure enough to discourage burglars. For the SHTF I want to keep intruders as far away for as long as possible.

Right now I have a high security chain link fence (as opposed to low strength residential chain link) around the property. I have bars on windows and doors. Solid doors with high end locks and a security system. I also have area lights that go on after dark and some motion sensor lights.

I don't live in a crime prone area, so this is more than enough to send wannabe smash and grab types down the road looking for an easier target. Bars are such a common sight in this city as to be considered jewelry for houses, so it doesn't stand out at all.

When the SHTF, the fence will be reinforced with razor ribbon and tanglefoot will be laid down inside the fence line. I have these stored away already and have practiced installing both. This will help slow intrusions and make it easier to eliminate them with rifles. I'm also pretty adept at constructing various types of "force multipliers" and "area denial devices" which will be put into place then also.

What I'm hoping to have installed before then is a perimeter vehicle barrier made of concrete filled pipe set into the ground with aircraft cable strung between them. I have a prepper friend up the street who installed a system like that but disguised it as a decorative fence/planter system.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
1. I have replaced standard door lock, deadbolt strike plates with 6''long 3/32steel plates,longer,heavier screws...Can't kick my doors in with a foot.
2. Planted big rose bushes under windows.
3. Have motion lights on 2 sides of house.
4. Have plans to build heavy yet, pretty working storm shutters(that secure on inside too)

It's basics, mainly feel secure knowing my whole family, is trained and efficient with the firearms that are located everywhere in home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks im gettin some good ideas....see i live right in a pretty rural town but the problem is that we also have the second biggest party school in the east right here and a couple weekends ago some one tried to shake down my door luckily my ex roomie followed me down with his mean machine(.357 mag) and i with my 870 rem and noone was there i swept the property no one soo now that i live alone and my gf is not arms trained im lil more precautious.Hopefully this summer she will be all the d*** guns in the world cant help if you dont know how to use them.I had another idea has anyone made like a roll down window covering its sound crazy but iwas thinkn just for night like some chicken wire or something idk?
And thanx Gurthy still dont know who you are or where your from or if thats ur real name lol just askin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.