Survivalist Forum banner

Home Defense Ammo - PDX1 vs 00 Buckshot

12K views 137 replies 35 participants last post by  Rural Buckeye Guy 
This is nothing more than what our Colonials used against the British in our war of Independence. It was a buck and ball load. They loaded a patched round ball into a smoothbore and dropped in three .00 or similar buck shot pellets. The load was then topped off with some form of wadding that varied from cotton to wasp nest material. Very effective in those times and the British protested vehemently as they thought it was against their rules of warfare.

The significance to all this is not much has changed. Were still using .12 ga slugs that was very common several hundred years ago. Were still adding the extra surprise of a few buckshot. A lot of folks think this is some new genius idea. It is, just from several hundred years ago from some very bright Patriots. They figured out how to level the playing field against what was at the time the most powerful Army and Navy on the planet and sent them packing licking their wounds.

While I'm not one who uses birdshot as a combat load, I agree it can certainly is effective in the confines of a home or around it. It does have it's drawbacks but so does using slugs or buckshot. When people speak of "Birdshot" there is a whole lot of latitude in shot size and weights. Add into the mix the powder charge and shot cup. You can quickly come up with a load that is very lethal even at decent ranges that hold a very tight group.

I believe the best way to deal with much of this is a lot of quality training with your shotgun and making sure you know what and where your target is. That video was interesting to watch. The thing I wish they did is better simulate a wall. The addition of plaster over the drywall and insulation in the middle to better simulate most American stick built homes would have certainly yielded different results.

Well, you keep using phrases like "of little consequence" "going to be harmless" "shrug it off" "how ineffective it is" "you need a death laser to end an attack" "I must use death rays at all times" as if these are things people have been asserting.

Who are you even arguing?

I don't recall anyone using those words that you appear to be associating with those who have valid criticisms of what you're espousing. Those of us who prefer a minimum adequate penetration to reach vitals at distances commonly found in the home asserted none of those things about birdshot; in fact I acknowledged that birdshot wounds can absolutely be lethal and make nasty wounds as a caveat prior to explaining the rationale behind my personal preference.

You have quite the straw man built up in your head, but not all rejections of your conclusion are that straw man.

Others have laid out their cases, some agree with you, some do not, so what else is there to say? Assertiveness doesn't make up for flawed reasoning, and we know your stance by now, so there's no point going circular with the argument. You do you. Personally, I prefer an AR-15 for home defense. 😱 😉
I don't subscribe to the bird shot doctrine. It can be very effective within parameters. I don't think it is the best choice to use for some different reasons that has been discussed Ad Nauseum in this thread. What I do not agree with is an AR-15 in CQB unless you are going into it fully equipped. Torch off 3 or 4 rounds in a bedroom with unprotected hearing after you were just startled out of bed produces about the same effect as a flash bang grenade.

People type a lot of things on these boards. Some of it is good and some isn't. Some of it works very well but the outcome might disorient you enough to not be able to engage the next threat. The people that think there is just one threat that goes along with a bump in the night that can be quickly dealt with may have very well never engaged a issue in a real life or death situation especially when he has buddies coming up behind him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.