Survivalist Forum banner

what to use for hogs???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
357 Mag, sex for the hand
439 Posts
My first shell is the winchester platnuim tip sabot slug which is 400 grains. Looks similar to the old black talon pistol ammo that was banned. Being home defense I shoot it through the smooth bore. For performance, wow, its simply devastaing agianst old firewood I shot it at. At $15 a box of 5, its not fun ammo. The other four after the sabot are 00bk.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0016697216447a.shtml

The shotty I use (not mine, but exactly the same)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Buckshot are limited to 20-40 yards range depending on how they pattern in your gun. Slugs are 50-75 yard rangr accurate- some guns will allow 100+.

Buckshot may not penetrate deeply enough in the cartilage shield of feral hogs, and might not stop one quickly enough, especially if you shoot at 20+ yards.

Slugs simply seem more likely to do the job, IF you can shoot well enough to hit with them.

GrayOne

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
I really use both, but that was not a pick... so I have the 00 buck in first, then the slug

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just don't understand why you'd want to use a slug for this at all; 00 buck seems the way to go.

I'd worry that, on the chance I'd miss, I'd have wall penetration in a lot more brutal way with the slugs.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You are probably only shooting down a hallway probably no more than 20'. I think 6 shot out of 20" barrel would hav a pretty lethal spread and you wouldn't have to worry about it going through the side of your house and taking out the neighbor that loans you tools.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are probably only shooting down a hallway probably no more than 20'. I think 6 shot out of 20" barrel would hav a pretty lethal spread and you wouldn't have to worry about it going through the side of your house and taking out the neighbor that loans you tools.
I would think the spread on a 20" shotty with No. 6 at 20 ft. would be around a 12" spread and around other homes/people that's a better option.

Neither slugs nor buckshot is suitable for home defense unless you live a fair distance away from other homes/people. Seeing how most people live around other people, neither of these would be a good choice.

The number 6, or better yet, No. 2 shot, would be a MUCH better choice. Reason being 00 buckshot is 36 cal round balls being fired at roughly 1500 fps, depending on brand and other factors. If you think a 9mm moving at 1200 fps will go through a person, and it will, then what do you think making the round smaller and move it faster will do? Its REALLY going to over penetrate. Even if you go with a 000 buckshot, its still a 32 cal and its still moving at around 1500, it's still going to go through a person.

The No. 2 or the No. 6 shot is too light to overpenetrate yet it is moving fast enough to get good penetration INTO the target.

The whole premise of home defense rounds/ammo is to provide the most effective stopping power possible while limiting penetrative ability, to ensure innocent's safety. A slug nor buckshot does this. Poor choices for this application.

·
Registered
645 Posts
buck shot----slug-----buck shot----mag buck----mag buck

Thats my combo right now but I don't keep one in the tube because I hate the safety on mine. Mix it up in my oppinion, I used to keep a rock salt for #1 in the tube, but I figuered why bother, that's what that shick-shick sound it for. Know what you want to do and plan your load acordingly, I live in a brick building with steel doors so I don't worry about holding back.

Depending on what's going on I can pop in my choice before the magnums, but they are there for that extreme need.... one-two-three...reload.....or the all the way aproach.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.