Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am exploring home canning over a wood fire.

It is always too hot in the summer to can inside the house so theoretically canning outside over a rocket stove would be a good idea.

Has anyone tried this?

The thing I like about the rocket stove is the small amount of fuel that you need to run it, even twigs work!!

·
Grumpy old man
145 Posts
I can only speak to canning with a pressure canner. Once the weight starts jiggling, it doesn't matter what you are using as a heat source, as long as the temperature doesn't drop enough to let the pressure go away. Controlling the wood fire to keep it on the boil will be the trick.
vorpal

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we use a wood fired cook top to can with . Works well. Dont see why a grill over a flame wouldnt work in same way

I dunno bout a rocket stove and canning. Wouldnt it be rather hard to put a canner on top of one of them?
There are plans to make bigger ones.

There are also plans to make a rocket bread oven...

·
Registered
108 Posts
my wife and I built a rocket stove out of bricks think hollow column with a little inginuity.
she cans primarily on it during the hotter months, she uses little longer and thicker than twigs to keep heat going longer without steady monitoring just push in stick for more heat pull out for less....... little trial and error will get and keep you going......
~poka~

·
Registered
101 Posts
There are plans to make bigger ones.

There are also plans to make a rocket bread oven...
Can you post a link to the rocket stove bread oven? I would be very interested in that one. Thanks

BTW: I'm making my first Rocket Stove for camping purpose. I just need to eat a couple more cans of beans and I put the rest together.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
You need a windbreak screen of some sort. Even light breezes can change your pressure.

Full pots of canning jars are HEAVY. Make sure your set up can support the weight.

Temp adjustments are made with a combination of shifting the pot, and nudging the hot coals. Again, the heavy pot makes it easier to adjust the fire, pushing coals to the edge or pulling them back, so you need enough room in a firepit to do that or the ability to push and nudge your rocket stove beneath the pot.

Jars should be removed from the pot in the house if you don't have a good windbreak. Hot jars newly out of the pot sitting on something outside are easy to break if a breeze comes up. If you must unload the jars while outside, cover them with a light blanket or tablecloth, or something to make sure they don't try to cool down too quickly.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts

Board member in Alaska no food thread
(All American PC)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts