Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taste-tested some pressure canned chicken drumsticks from June of 2017. Lid was tight, hissed inward when I opened it, smelled perfectly fine ... basically like canned chicken.

We'll see in a few hours if I turn into a zombie :D:

Tasted fine but it was very greasy, and literally fell away from the bone. That was the thing ... the small thin bone that sits next to the big drumstick bone would break up easily into pieces that almost couldn't be detected in my mouth, and even the big bone would snap easily, gripped in two fingers. I've heard that eating any kind of bones is bad for humans because our digestive system isn't set up for it. However I can't imagine the small amount I ingested is going to cause me any trouble.

Not sure how much I should worry about a choking hazard, but ... an older person, or little kids?

Think from now on I'm going to just stick to pints of white meat chunks. (I don't can quarts anymore)

·
Forum Administrator
5,839 Posts
Puling the bones is pretty easy. And as we all know, dark meat has amazing flavor that is magnified by home canning.
I do half of mine skinless but, it is personal thing. Greasy sucks but, fat is needed.....
Fat has always been an LTS nightmare. Our number 10 cans of food have no fat in them. This means that half of the vitamins in there cannot be absorbed and we get sick and die, if relied upon for a lengthy period of time. Pressure canned meats seem to be one of the best ways to preserve fat for the long term. period.

·
Registered
34,377 Posts
I've never canned on the bone except the odd bit here or there.
Why waste the space.

I cut off what's easy, boil the bone and can the shredded bird meat separately.

Bout time I get a few turkeys and do just that.

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
I pressure can a lot of seasoned chicken thighs, bone in.
The dogs get the bones.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,404 Posts
Debone the leg and sink it in chicken stock made from the bones.

Here is a very fast vid on just deboning the leg:

But I will can thighs with the central round bone in. I just trim the flat socket bone out because it gets sloppy and mushy after sitting in the canning jar for a while.

·
Shade Tree Gynecologist
3,681 Posts
Taste-tested some pressure canned chicken drumsticks from June of 2017. Lid was tight, hissed inward when I opened it, smelled perfectly fine ... basically like canned chicken.

We'll see in a few hours if I turn into a zombie :D:

Tasted fine but it was very greasy, and literally fell away from the bone. That was the thing ... the small thin bone that sits next to the big drumstick bone would break up easily into pieces that almost couldn't be detected in my mouth, and even the big bone would snap easily, gripped in two fingers. I've heard that eating any kind of bones is bad for humans because our digestive system isn't set up for it. However I can't imagine the small amount I ingested is going to cause me any trouble.

Not sure how much I should worry about a choking hazard, but ... an older person, or little kids?

Think from now on I'm going to just stick to pints of white meat chunks. (I don't can quarts anymore)
I opened a can of chicken wings in BBQ sauce I put up back in 2013 and had them for lunch yesterday.
I aint dead or a zombie yet.

·
Registered
34,377 Posts
I opened a can of chicken wings in BBQ sauce I put up back in 2013 and had them for lunch yesterday.
I aint dead or a zombie yet.
Interesting..

I took a pack of wings out the freezer a little while ago, I'll fry them tomorrow, roll them in sweet baby that's (HFCS, but I can't help it.) Add ranch and eat.

How does it do out the can? Do you fry them after? How's it go?

·
Shade Tree Gynecologist
3,681 Posts
Interesting..

I took a pack of wings out the freezer a little while ago, I'll fry them tomorrow, roll them in sweet baby that's (HFCS, but I can't help it.) Add ranch and eat.

How does it do out the can? Do you fry them after? How's it go?
I just pack them in a quart jar raw as tight as I can and then fill the rest of the jar with BBQ sauce and put them in the pressure cooker.

I dumped them out on a plate and popped them in the microwave to warm them up.

As mentioned, the meat comes off the bone easy and the bones are very soft.

they have the usual canned chicken texture. Flavor, depending on sauce, can vary.

Vinegar based and buffalo type sauce seems to be best. Molasses and brown sugar and mustard based stuff, not so much.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
I don't prefer the taste of poultry cooked, especially boiled, with the bone in so I de-bone everything before I pressure can it. Boning chicken isn't hard, but it's not comfortable on my old hands anymore so I wait for boneless to be on a good sale if I can.

Eating some tiny amount of bone isn't going to be bad for people to eat, especially once softened by pressure canning. They're just calcium and potassium which is always good for you. Human teeth aren't designed for bone crunching but I'll bet your stomach deals with it in minor amounts just fine. Pressure canned fish bones are well known to be harmless since it renders them quite softly crunchable.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I pressure canned drumsticks in quart jars a while back and found that a quart of chicken is to much for a couple to eat at a single sitting. Then I canned drumstick recently in pint jars and found the quantity more convenient, but in order to get the drumsticks to fit in the jar, I had to cut the ends of the bone off. I think that in the future I will debone the drumsticks as suggested above, and then can them in pints as before. Thanks for this suggestion. Woodchuck.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,404 Posts
I pressure canned drumsticks in quart jars a while back and found that a quart of chicken is to much for a couple to eat at a single sitting.
Can't eat that much? Heck, I go pickup an 8pc from Popeye's and arrive home a mile later with just the breasts left. :D:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts