Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
What I did.

In the beginning I didn't have much and to get some ammo built up I started by purchasing cases of FMJ ammo. As time went on I would purchase hollow points (what ever brand or round you prefer) till I achieved an amount of hollow points I was happy with.

This way you can have ammo if something happens until you have the money to build over time the supply of defense ammo.

After I reached this point I learned to reload ammo, this put my ammo production costs very low, 4.1 cents per .45ACP, letting me practice more often without depleting supplies.

This is how I did it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Any hunter should defenitely have a stash of expanding ammo. Soft point is mandated in many states and provinces. In a decent caliber it will still chew up concealment. 165 grain .308 I have put through 7 inches of kiln dried fir planks.

Combat arms ammo? Depends on your situation. Buy what you can use. IE test for function in your gun before buying thousands.

·
sic transit gloria mundi
858 Posts
For the AR (and because of my particular suburban setting), I'm slowly transitioning from 55gr fmj to 60gr Hornady Vmax (hollow point) for the day gun and Hornady 55gr TAP (hollow point) for the night gun (practically 0 muzzle flash). For the .308 - 165gr Winchester soft point.

Will keep more than a little fmj on hand though.

·
That one guy...
55 Posts
In the beginning I didn't have much and to get some ammo built up I started by purchasing cases of FMJ ammo. As time went on I would purchase hollow points (what ever brand or round you prefer) till I achieved an amount of hollow points I was happy with.

This way you can have ammo if something happens until you have the money to build over time the supply of defense ammo.

After I reached this point I learned to reload ammo, this put my ammo production costs very low, 4.1 cents per .45ACP, letting me practice more often without depleting supplies.

This is how I did it.
I have to agree the most important part is too have ammo

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I keep a lot of 9mm JHP on hand for general shooting, practice and plinking. I do keep JHP in my 9mm magazines in case the gun is needed for self defense.

I do not stockpile much JHP because I don't view myself as a couch comando that will spend time in firefights after the SHTF.

·
11B3P
754 Posts
Much of my ammo is HP. I started with FMJ just for sheer numbers per cost and my dept provided me much HP ammo over the years and I have just been saving it.
I would say you need some HP for hunting and personal defense but I would estimate 90% FMJ is just fine.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Almost all of my 7.62x39 is hollowpoint ammo. I have HP ammo in various other calibers, handgun & rifle, but for the most part I use ball ammo. If it's good enough for our military on a daily basis, it should be good enough for us.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.