Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you going back and forth to the lake on Labor day, please do everyone a favor and secure stuff in the back of the truck and on the boat.

Went to Jasper, Texas today (September 3rd, 2018) and there was an ice chest in the middle of the road. Would have taken just a few seconds to tie it down.

I pulled over to the side of the road, got the ice chest and threw it to the side. It was on of those dollar store breeze igloo coolers. It looked like the hinges broke on impact, which can be fixed. I might go back and get it later today.

So anyway, for those of you who went to the lake or hunting lease, did you pay attention to various factors?
  • Gas mileage of your vehicle.
  • Time needed to load up everything.
  • Drive time.
  • Traffic.
  • Lines at gas stations.
  • Lines at walmart
  • Availability of certain food items at the store
  • Did you take an alternative route to the lake?
  • Do you ever take an alternative route to the lake?
My observations on people leaving the lakes are:

Numerous bumper stickers declaring gun rights, which would suggest gun ownership.

Lots of RVs, boats, ATVs... etc.

Lots of big 3/4 ton diesel trucks, which can typically pull a heavier load then gas trucks.

This also suggest the economy is doing well. If people are strapped for money they stay home. This weekend there was a lot of traffic around lake Sam Rayburn with more than average people visiting the small corner stores.

There is a Dollar Store near the Sam Rayburn dam, and it was packed with people on Saturday.

Local restaurants near the lake were packed.

People buying odds and ends, such as beer, water, and cigarettes.

Of course with the people comes the trash. Every holiday there is trash thrown on the side of the road, such as the ice chest that blew out of a truck or boat.

When my family and I lived in Bridge City, Texas, when the kids got home from school I would give them around 20 - 30 minutes to pack their bags. As soon as they got off the school bus I would tell them something like, "You have 20 minutes, pack your bags."

There was a learned curve where they started out packing nothing but shirts and a could of shorts. No tooth brush, no underwear... etc. Eventually they got everything ironed out and things started to run smoothly.

I felt it was important to let the kids pack their own bags as they learned what to pack.

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
I used last years eclipse as a test run.

I thought it was pretty good event for that purpose. Specific time an location requirements and in competition with half the population of the country.

I loaded up on enough food gas and water for round trip and left at midnight to avoid traffic. Drove all night, got on location at 5 Am at a dirt road in Idaho I picked out on google earth that was about half a mile from being perfectly centered on the path of totality. Don't understand the people who where paying thousands of dollars for a cam site. I just laid back the seats and slept until morning. I avoided the freeway and took back highways and I doubt I saw more than ten other drivers on the road that night.

I had an alternate location in Oregon picked out and was ready for either one and made the decision when I left based on which had the best weather outlook.

As for today, I'm staying home and shopping online gun deals.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I treat going to my BOL for vacation as a trial bug out minus loading everything I would plan to bring. I do separate complete loadout drills for that which have really influenced where I store things and how I number them in priority of loading to make it easy to understand for my wife and I under stress.

My biggest lesson was getting everything down to just 2 places in the house with all but 1 item in the top 10 in the same place.

You make a great point about securing your load. If you have a rollover and have full ammo cans in your passenger compartment (for those of us with SUVs) someone will most likely wind up dead.

·
Semper Fi
11,258 Posts
Take that holiday traffic and times it by several orders of magnitude to get an idea of what trying to get out of town would be like when EVERYONE is doing so at the same time.

Heck just look at rush hour traffic in many locations.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Take that holiday traffic and times it by several orders of magnitude to get an idea of what trying to get out of town would be like when EVERYONE is doing so at the same time.

Heck just look at rush hour traffic in many locations.
I remember an accident involving a lone 18 wheeler that completely shut down a major freeway in Los Angeles. Then the other side got shut down because people were rubber necking so hard. Down for a whole day.

Driving out of LA one time the day before Thanksgiving to go see my family when I was younger definitely took 8 hours instead of the usual 3.

OP, glad to hear that folks are enjoying Labor Day and a strong economy out in your neck of the woods.

-W

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Rush hour on the LA 405 or trying to get to DFW airport from McKinney. The 120 mile trip from Oklahoma to McKinney took less time then the 40 miles from McKinney to the airport.

I won't even discuss the 405 incident.

These two have shown me you either get out ahead of the crowd or wait it out.

·
Semper Fi
11,258 Posts
I remember an accident involving a lone 18 wheeler that completely shut down a major freeway in Los Angeles. Then the other side got shut down because people were rubber necking so hard. Down for a whole day.

Driving out of LA one time the day before Thanksgiving to go see my family when I was younger definitely took 8 hours instead of the usual 3.

OP, glad to hear that folks are enjoying Labor Day and a strong economy out in your neck of the woods.

-W
I had to go from Santa Anna to San Diego (90 miles) one time on a Friday. It took over 5 hours due to traffic and there weren't accidents to blame nor was it a holiday.

I just laugh at people who think they are going to bug out from the LA Basin.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had to go from Santa Anna to San Diego (90 miles) one time on a Friday. It took over 5 hours due to traffic and there weren't accidents to blame nor was it a holiday.

Most urban centers, but especially SoCal. We're prepped for a few months here, I'm trying to relocate the fam to at least Ventura or North / on the other side of the San Andreas fault line.

-W

·
Registered
176 Posts

I completely agree.

Most urban centers are gonna experience that rude awakening, but especially SoCal. We're prepped for a good long while, my ideal is to relocate the family to at least Ventura (out of the LA basin) or North of the San Andreas fault line.

-W

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
You may not be able to bug out AFTER the panic as started but I would think a big part of being a prepper would be being ready to bug out BEFORE everyone else gets the same idea...to be one the road while everyone else is still wondering what is going on.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
In washington the many bridges are choke points. Often you can see where landslides will block traffic. After the big one you're not going far by car.
Though im surprised how open roads were after northridge and sf quakes.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You may not be able to bug out AFTER the panic as started but I would think a big part of being a prepper would be being ready to bug out BEFORE everyone else gets the same idea...to be one the road while everyone else is still wondering what is going on.
True but unless you have determined your "red line" chances are most of us will be as guilty as everyone else with normalcy bias thinking "let's just give it a bit more time to see if this is the real deal or not", myself included!

This is where having multiple routes helps, I practice taking different ways when I go to my BOL on vacation even though some of the routes take longer. Also I live in the suburbs on the same side of the city as my rural retreat, in other words imagine living North East of downtown and needing to travel in the 2 o'clock direction to your BOL. This means I don't have to pass through the city and already have a 10 mile head start on those downtown.

Ultimately we have bikes with trailer to cover the 65 miles if cars aren't an option and I might add a game cart in case we have to hoof it.

·
Semper Fi
11,258 Posts
True but unless you have determined your "red line" chances are most of us will be as guilty as everyone else with normalcy bias thinking "let's just give it a bit more time to see if this is the real deal or not", myself included!

This is where having multiple routes helps, I practice taking different ways when I go to my BOL on vacation even though some of the routes take longer. Also I live in the suburbs on the same side of the city as my rural retreat, in other words imagine living North East of downtown and needing to travel in the 2 o'clock direction to your BOL. This means I don't have to pass through the city and already have a 10 mile head start on those downtown.

Ultimately we have bikes with trailer to cover the 65 miles if cars aren't an option and I might add a game cart in case we have to hoof it.
How big is your city? 65 miles might not really get you out of the way of the crowds trying to evacuate. Especially if you are able to easily drive to your BOL.

·
Registered
662 Posts
How big is your city? 65 miles might not really get you out of the way of the crowds trying to evacuate. Especially if you are able to easily drive to your BOL.
Its a pretty big city, top 20 in the US, but east of the Mississippi you aren't often going to get more than 100 miles from a city without then getting closer to another city. Where I go is off the beaten path, a one lane dirt road services my place. Its close enough that I can actually get there and far enough to be much better than where I am at but its not what some preppers would consider "far enough".

These same location critics also don't own a fully stocked purpose built BOL anywhere at all so there's that.

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
Sure, but I would think determining a 'red line' would be prepping 101. Before you even prepare to bug out I would think deciding when to bug out would be the priority.

Anyone can evacuate if given some time to pack....the prepper however should be prepared so that he can do it in a few minutes, primarily so that he can get the jump on the situation....and have a handle on normalcy bias so that he is willing to make the decision when it needs to be made.

Again, I think this should all be prepping 101. I think about half of all prepping can be done just by training yourself to think in a certain way.

·
Semper Fi
11,258 Posts
Its a pretty big city, top 20 in the US, but east of the Mississippi you aren't often going to get more than 100 miles from a city without then getting closer to another city. Where I go is off the beaten path, a one lane dirt road services my place. Its close enough that I can actually get there and far enough to be much better than where I am at but its not what some preppers would consider "far enough".

These same location critics also don't own a fully stocked purpose built BOL anywhere at all so there's that.
Well you are better off then many even if not ideal (if you can indeed get to the BOL). Though there is a big difference between a short dirt road right off a US or State Hwy and a long rough dirt track that splits off a small paved back road.

As to the BOL I don't have one either. If there is ever a need to bugout from our place in AZ, there won't be much point as the world will have gone to total melt down and there wouldn't be any better place to go anyways.

·
Semper Fi
11,258 Posts
I completely agree.

Most urban centers are gonna experience that rude awakening, but especially SoCal. We're prepped for a good long while, my ideal is to relocate the family to at least Ventura (out of the LA basin) or North of the San Andreas fault line.

-W
It's not like the State is going to split at the fault and drop into the ocean. Maybe a few meters of northward ground movement along the fault and then shock waves radiating out both south as well as north of the fault doing the damage.

They are also discovering evermore faults that can be a problem.

What you want to look for is a location that doesn't require you to cross overpasses or bridges to exit your location.

Reactions: Nomad 2nd
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.