Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
One of the Good Guys
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t498/bdcermd/th_garden3.jpg

My first attempt at growing potatoes has left me a bit perplexed. They were growing nicely until about a week ago, then began to dry up. I figured this was the time to go ahead and harvest. Pulled up about 30 # of spuds today but about 1/2 of them had these tiny holes in them. Was wondering if any of you experienced potato growers have any insight into this and what I can do to prevent this in the future.

BTW tried uploading the pic, but kept getting "failed upload" message.:xeye:

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Sounds like doodle bugs to me. I have never had a successful potato crop because doodle bugs always attack them.

This year, I am trying planting them in 5 gallon buckets.

Do you have these around your potatoes? They love drilling holes in them and making them rot.

·
One of the Good Guys
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like doodle bugs to me. I have never had a successful potato crop because doodle bugs always attack them.

Do you have these around your potatoes? They love drilling holes in them and making them rot.

haven't seen any of those bugs. Only about half had holes, the other half are fine. Got maybe half a bushel from a 40 foot row that are good.

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts

we call them slaters and i've never had a problem with them and potatoes. They have to be really desperate to eat your veges as they much prefer rotting wood.

I always plant mustard as a cover crop after the potatoes, adn I always rotate potatoes. not sure what your bad luck was for the potatoes without the picture (maybe you need to reduce it? It could be too big) but it could even be worms in the ground. How damaged are the potatoes? If it's not too many I wouldn't worry.

But definitely yes to the mustard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts