Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I have a day or so off work so I decided to make a start on the next one.
This started life as a circular wood saw blade and is trying to be a traditional Puukko.
Quite a bit left to do but my sander started to make horrible noises, smoked badly, stank then melted. It is now in the bin so all the work has been done with a file.
I will harden the blade and then start work on the handle, this time I want to try and put a bit of copper into the handle design.

Have removed a bit from the belly of the blade so the front is not so deep.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Looking good! I can't wait to see the results. Love Scandi knives.

Dare I make two small suggestions?...If your goal is to make it traditional, you could continue the edge all the way to the bottom of the blade. That way, you can do some really precise cutting/carving close to the handle. Also, you could round the belly a little bit. Just some suggestions.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bmatt, always open to sugestions, will comply, project on hole slightly cause of the demise of the sander,realy hard work with just a file, plus I need the sander to make the handle.
Will continue ASAP.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
What Bmatt said.:thumb:

looking really good though Bru,its getting there.:D:

sorry to here about your sander.

heres a picture of my puukko to give you some idea about what B is saying on blade shape and how its sharp all the way along the blade:thumb:

Attachments

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good hog. What kind of wood are you going to use for the handle?
Not to sure about the wood yet, will have a look about, but I will try to incorporate a bit of copper into the handle.
Problem is sanding belt demise, so on the back burner for a little bit.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, I have a day or so off work so I decided to make a start on the next one.
This started life as a circular wood saw blade and is trying to be a traditional Puukko.
Quite a bit left to do but my sander started to make horrible noises, smoked badly, stank then melted. It is now in the bin so all the work has been done with a file.
I will harden the blade and then start work on the handle, this time I want to try and put a bit of copper into the handle design.

Have removed a bit from the belly of the blade so the front is not so deep.
Well now the handle is on and the job seems to be done.
I wanted to keep this knife simple as I have not done a hidden tang before and even though I had to do the whole task by hand with no power ****s I think the project result was ok.
I know some of you Guys gave me some ideas but limited resources dictated that the blade remained the way it came off the bench before my sander died.
The wood is oak and the hilt section is copper.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts