Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! I'm extremely excited to be on this board, and to learn what you guys want to share. I'm an avid reader, but I want to put some of the things I've learned, and want to learn, into practice. I'm starting camping, but if anyone has any interest in group hiking trips, I think that would be fun to organize. I know everyone probably has hectic schedules, but who knows?

Anyway, I'm a graduate student at the University of West Georgia, studying English. I'm very interested in survivalism on a practical level, but also on a theoretical level. I'm working on a paper right now, actually, and I might have a few questions, that I think would help out. I'm examining Cormac McCarthy's The Road and there's a few really interesting ideas there. It details a post-nuclear exchange between major powers, worldwide SHTF scenario. Long-term nuclear winter model. I was wondering-- does anyone have hard data about major extinctions after nuclear winter? What kinds of wildlife would survive? And what kinds of marine life? Would algae grow after ten years of nuclear winter? What about seeds? Would they germinate?

Anyway, that's just my side project right now. It's nice to meet everyone!

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Welcome! I think that one's survival after a nuclear exchange would directly hinge on how far away he/she was from the nearest ground zero. If you survive the initial exchange, and the following 6 months-start heading south. After 6 months, the fallout should be over with. Surviving the nuclear winter is going to be much easier in Southern Florida than in Minnesota. Maybe even try to head through Mexico, try to get as close to the Equator as possible. Stay away from major metropolitan areas, they are likely nuked, and are much more likely to have armed militias that are looking for loners and small groups to kill/rob.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's interesting, because that process of fleeing south, as well as the social chaos, is really emphasized in The Road. My theory is that McCarthy has a more-than-casual interest in survivalism.

If there wasn't any food, would you eat the dead?

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
That's interesting, because that process of fleeing south, as well as the social chaos, is really emphasized in The Road. My theory is that McCarthy has a more-than-casual interest in survivalism.

If there wasn't any food, would you eat the dead?
Hmmm.........depends on how they were killed. I would have to be on the verge of dying to resort to cannabalisim. But if that were the case, I would do it. Reluctantly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm.........depends on how they were killed. I would have to be on the verge of dying to resort to cannabalisim. But if that were the case, I would do it. Reluctantly.
I feel the same way. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat people, but if there isn't anything left.. cannibalism is really a fairly western taboo, and only recently in human history have we stopped practicing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts