Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Woodland Survivalist
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was on a walk and I started to get what I thought what looked like a mosquito bite, and then a reaction to it, which also looked like smaller bites around my elbow. I ignored it and it later went away, thinking it was only a bug bite. A few hours later the same process happened on my other elbow but much worse, then started to go back to the original elbow. The skin was warm to the touch and red. I put some calamine lotion and took a benadryl and went to bed. It went away but returned when I woke up. 24 hours later I still have isolated hives that come and go on spots around my elbow and arm almost constantly since yesterday. Nothing too severe yet. I have no allergies, I don't get poison, and I didn't come in contact with any chemicals. I did have a stomach bug 2 days before, but I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Did anyone have this happen. I hope tomorrow its gone and never returns. Any home remedies? Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
You can get viral xanthems....or rashes after a virus. Hives can sometimes just develop in people for no known reason. Benadryl and pepcid can help if they are bothersome.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
soaked tea bags help take the pain out of a lot of things, hives, sunburn, bug bites.
I just make tea (and these days use it for ice tea) then take the tea bags and place on the sore spot. careful not to burn yourself. You can also put the bags in the fridge and use them when they cool. Or use paper towels or a cloth to soak with room temp or iced tea and bandage over an area to help soothe it. something about the tannins...
i used to keep soaked tea bags in the fridge and put them on my sore swollen allergy aggravated eyes before there were good eye drops available. (back in the age of dinosaurs when i was young!)

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is great that you don't get poison ivy, (I do unfortunately and am always hyper-aware of where it is and am always on the lookout for it) but just like any other allergic reaction, like bee stings for example, that can change unexpectedly. Not saying that is your issue because poison ivy usually takes 48 to 72 hours to show up, just giving you a heads up.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
I used to get hives with physical exertion when it was very hot & humid. My doctor told me it was because I do not sweat enough when during exertion. I started wetting a bandana and a hat & sometimes wetting down my arms & legs before going out for a work out and building up my reistance to the problem. I haven't had the problem in awhile but then again we have not had high humidity this year yet.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I break out in hives all the time. Take the benadryl for some instant relief and then take a claratin That will give you 24 hour protection and stop them from coming back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There have been some great suggestions so far. I'd also like to add that you should try to avoid hot showers right now. Heat can cause something called histamines to rise to the surface. Tepid showers are best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts