Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"Old" is a state of mind
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen other threads along this topic that seem to just die out after a few replies... but the subject still looks viable to me.

I've been actively prepping for a couple of years after thinking about it for a previous few years. I have a nice "paid for" home on two acres in the Coastal Bend area that is too big for my wife and I. It's in a nice rural subdivision with basically okay neighbors but it is totally undefendable short of putting up a razor wire fence with a gun turret on top. So, I've started looking for a BOL.

I plan on cruising the Hill Country this weekend to get a feel for the area. Here is a link for the type of property I'm interested in:

http://www.bowndsrealtors.com/html/props/prop377.html

There seems to be a lot of locations similar to this one. My wife turns 62 in two years and I can get about $225K on a reverse mortgage then. I'd like to buy a fifth wheel trailer and develop an area on the BOL to park it while I get serious about making the place as defendable as possible. I've gotten pretty good at greenhouse gardening and raising vegetables in buckets plus I've got a couple of years of food squirreled away.

I would be very interested in hearing from other people that might be interested in doing something like this. Maybe band together and buy a large tract like this with an eye toward mutual assistance and defense.

Interest and suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldnt go to the hill country, too hard to grow food. Im not a fan of the soil or the little rain they get. Land is too expensive too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Hill Country is pretty big. There are varying types of soil and rain seems to be a problem pretty much everywhere in Texas lately. I grew up in the hill country and had nice fertile black dirt and could grow almost thing. That being said, there are rocky areas as well. You just have to do your due dilligence. As far as price, again, it's dependant on where you look.

·
Registered
158 Posts
More east. Some areas Ive always liked when passing through have been around Navasota, and then Jacksonville area. There are some nice lookin places around both. Of course not in town.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lots of rocks , very little rain, and everyone like yourselves is moving there. That being said I grew up around San Antonio and my mother retired to canyon lake, I love to visit there but I wouldnt live there. If you can get a large piece of land with a stream or creek on it get it but dont build by the creek the other half of very little rain is when it does rain it floods BAD. A Texas flood is a whole different animal.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Didnt realize you were so far south. I live on the upper coast so those places are alot closer to me. Im used to growing stuff worried about too much rain instead of not enough. We have only lost crops twice in over 40 years to drought and never irrigated. Once was this last year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been considering land in the Hill Country as well. I live in San Antonio, but it'll be several years before I'm ready to do buy land. Just curious as to what your thoughts on what area is better? One of the requirements is within walking distance of a river or lake or it has a well on it. Also does anyone know of any prepper groups in or around San Antonio? I'm fairly new into it and I'm slowlying stocking up on food and ammo. Can't figure out how to store a lot of water...the garage and outside is way too hot during the summer to store it there.

·
"Old" is a state of mind
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In another wife (er life) I lived in the western North Carolina/eastern Tennessee area and loved the mountains. Short of the Big Bend or El Paso areas the hill country seems to be the closest thing we have to that sort of living. Texas has sure treated me right and I'm certainly not going to move to another state. I wasn't born in Texas but I'm a Texan nonetheless.

Basically, I'd like it if the only thing visible to someone driving by my place is a mailbox and a driveway/road disappearing over a hill. I can make that sort of place defendable with alarms, underground "storm shelter" and a few thousand rounds of ammo. Although my well here is 375 feet deep, the drought last year scared me. I've got a generator and solar power but I still have to worry about getting the water out of the ground.

In a SHTF situation, I think refugees from the cities will be the major worry. I just want to be as far from the crowds as I can get.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
I wouldnt go to the hill country, too hard to grow food. Im not a fan of the soil or the little rain they get. Land is too expensive too.
While it's probably better than actually being in San Antonio, I just don't see anywhere that close to the border being a safe place if the wheels come off. I'd probably draw a line that ran roughly from Lubbock to Amarillo through Round Rock and over to about an hour north of Houston...

...and then stay north of that line. My guess is that between the freak show that Austin is and the reconquista to the south, everything south of that line is as good as lost.

If you're looking in East Texas, make sure you check out your intended place of residence on city-data.com

Lots of Katrina refugees have come that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts