Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok yall,
Today me and the lady went on a hike in a hiking area near our house. It was great. There was nothing spetacular to get from this other than just being in a pure natural element. We walked up and down, and along the way we tested each others skills with questions about survival and how to use the things in our surroundings for gathering water, making shelter, and finding food. I was really impressed with my GF knowledge considering she doesnt take much to the woods like I do. I get to go shopping tomorrow in prep for our camping trip coming up in about a week in a half. Note: might I add that the best kind of "shopping" a guy can do is from the one of a kind smelly confines of an army surplus store. We dont have really any camping gear and I am on a short budget but its been cleared by the Mrs. to go purchase two ALICE packs and some various smaller items. As far as out tent and things goes, luckily we have family spread out that has all of the important things like a tent that we can borrow. That kind of sucks cause I really want to have my own gear, but I realize that its something that I will have to piece together item by item a little at a time. Well gotta run fellas, time to get the holidy pictures taken. Everyone be safe and have fun.

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
2 army ponchos make a great shelter to 2 ppl there only 12$ a pop....u can also get some army surplus sleeping bags for around 25$....that and wally world has alot of the odds and ends u will need cheap...good luck on the shopping let us know what u get :D:

·
Here's Johnny!
306 Posts
Good luck with it.

Today would have been a great day for a hike.

Gonna have to really pay attention to the weather though. It's been crazy here this last week. 80deg on Sunday, then on Monday it's like 28deg.

That's Texas weather for ya tho' ... If you don't like it, stick around a couple of minutes, it's sure to change.

:D:

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
We sit on the top of a hill with 20 acres. Unfortunately my husbands heart is getting more fragile as each season passes. We, both, miss the days of hiking over the river and through the woods to Barefoot lake, or up over the mountain to East Tanin Lake for a night of fishing and fun.

Today was the last time my Husband will try to walk up our 2/10 of a mile drive way. 5 nitros later he reached the front porch and sat for several minutes to recover. I was at work. He thought he would be OK.

It is hard for me to watch his health failing. The closer he gets to the bottom of the hill the faster the failure comes at you.

My husband shakes his head in disbelief at his failing health. He can't believe how weak he has become. He is embarrassed at having to take an afternoon nap as if he were a baby. His body is ready for bed at 8:30 pm and he doesn't rise untill 8:00 am.

But my husband is a survivalist. He has out lived his doctors predictions by a good 15 years. He continues to amaze them with is will to live and go on, even if it's not very far. We still enjoy the simple things in life...breakfast with friends at the local market. Drinking coffee and eatting a scone while driving around the our valley. Watching CNN and debatting the issues.

So all of you who are able.......get out and hike the s--t out of those trails. Camp in those hard to reach areas and keep a picture diary of all your activities. Far into the future you will have something to look back through and remember the good times. You will know that your life was well lived a life you should be proud of.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Hey Spy, I'm glad you're here, you bring a good voice to the board.

Do not get ponchos, it's cold out this time of year, and your gf will hate it. They are great tools and my wife and I each carry one in our packs, but are no substitute for a tent as you are getting started.

I introduced my wife to through-hiking and we have a few thousand miles under our belt. She is just getting used to sleeping in dirt and curling up to sleep next to the fire on a clear cool evening, at which point we lay the ponchos out as ground sheets.

Also, heed my advice on alice packs, they are designed for use with LBE, and are uncomfortable for long hikes, and can cause injury on multiday treks. This can be fixed with a simple frame modification, or the use of load bearing eqipment.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
We sit on the top of a hill with 20 acres. Unfortunately my husbands heart is getting more fragile as each season passes. We, both, miss the days of hiking over the river and through the woods to Barefoot lake, or up over the mountain to East Tanin Lake for a night of fishing and fun.

Today was the last time my Husband will try to walk up our 2/10 of a mile drive way. 5 nitros later he reached the front porch and sat for several minutes to recover. I was at work. He thought he would be OK.

It is hard for me to watch his health failing. The closer he gets to the bottom of the hill the faster the failure comes at you.

My husband shakes his head in disbelief at his failing health. He can't believe how weak he has become. He is embarrassed at having to take an afternoon nap as if he were a baby. His body is ready for bed at 8:30 pm and he doesn't rise untill 8:00 am.

But my husband is a survivalist. He has out lived his doctors predictions by a good 15 years. He continues to amaze them with is will to live and go on, even if it's not very far. We still enjoy the simple things in life...breakfast with friends at the local market. Drinking coffee and eatting a scone while driving around the our valley. Watching CNN and debatting the issues.

So all of you who are able.......get out and hike the s--t out of those trails. Camp in those hard to reach areas and keep a picture diary of all your activities. Far into the future you will have something to look back through and remember the good times. You will know that your life was well lived a life you should be proud of.
Reply]
I don't know your husband's condition, but is it possible that hiking up and down that drive every day may actually be very good for his heart?

I have had students with heart problems before. They allways tell me thier doctor's tell them to walk a lot.

Also, Tai Chi is VERY good for bad hearts. it is soft and gentile. It is not a cardio exercise, but is an energy builder.. 20-30minutes of Tai Chi followed by a good walk has actually brought several of my old students back for the dead.

The key is to not over do it, but still do as much as you can.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
I was really impressed with my GF knowledge considering she doesnt take much to the woods like I do. I am on a short budget but its been cleared by the Mrs.
Okay, why does this dude get a GF and a Mrs.????
My wife won't let me have a GF! :(

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Man, live like we do, and they become one and the same.... Of course, I may be talkin out the side of my face, since I'm only 6 months in to the wedding thing, but after 5 years dating, I'll also say nothing changed when we got married, except not having to stress over the wedding!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol well its the same person, for now she is my GF but I call her Mrs. too cause we know we are going to be getting married.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I take it all back... My wife just pointed out that the propane had run out, and very rapidly took off all her clothes and changed into her pajamas. Guess who had to change el tanko...

Not a gf, not a gf!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It worked out really well. Lots of room. I think now I just have to perfect the technique of packing essentials for a light pack and packing it in a way that will not only save space but allow for more if ever need be. Truth be told though,,,,I didnt get to hike with the pack due to becoming ill on my trip so when I do I will post a review. And if memory serves me, I think I still owe yall some pics. I will get those on here ricki tic.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I had a large alive and used the spring and jaw cargo straps to bring smaller loads in where I wanted them, to eliminate the low center of gravity issues with light loads in big rucks. Akward, but less annoying than five sixteen mile days in a row with half the contents of your pack trying to slap you in the rump. If I was going alone with a light load, I'd actually torniquet off the bottom of the pack to keep the weight high and close to my body. Now I have a pack that incorperates compression straps into the body, and it is nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts