Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Climber
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always enjoyed hiking but I have stuck pretty close to home, within an hour or so and they were day hikes, few hours tops. I would like to start doing long distance trails and I have noticed the limitations of my medium sized 5'11 Tactical backpack. Looking for a pack to take on overnight hikes and really go the distance. Right now I am looking at the Osprey Exos 58, runs about 220 at REI and I would get 22 back in dividends. It is the same price on Amazon but without the dividend. Just looking for thoughts and recommendations. I want the quality for cheaper if I could. :unsure:

Also, I am from OR, looking for some beautiful long hikes that would take a couple days to complete. If anyone knows of any, let me know. (y)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have always enjoyed hiking but I have stuck pretty close to home, within an hour or so and they were day hikes, few hours tops. I would like to start doing long distance trails and I have noticed the limitations of my medium sized 5'11 Tactical backpack. Looking for a pack to take on overnight hikes and really go the distance. Right now I am looking at the Osprey Exos 58, runs about 220 at REI and I would get 22 back in dividends. It is the same price on Amazon but without the dividend. Just looking for thoughts and recommendations. I want the quality for cheaper if I could. :unsure:

Also, I am from OR, looking for some beautiful long hikes that would take a couple days to complete. If anyone knows of any, let me know. (y)
Milsurp ruck with rack. It serves a person well.

·
Only politics *****.
5,686 Posts

The Exos won't treat you wrong, if you treat it right. You'll thank yourself for the weight savings over most military packs, and the comfort is a lot better too. Just make sure to test it out in the store, with the weight/bulk you'll put into it, to see if it's the right pack for you. You won't find better quality for the buck in hicking packs i think. 3 of my backpacks are Osprey, and i love each of them (the 4th is a KarrimorSF Sabre 45 with the two side packs, which is good, but which i wouldn't choose over an Osprey pack if i can get away with using the Osprey pack. It's basically my winter bag since it has 75L capacity.)

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've got a few packs, and one of them is an Osprey. It's a great, comfortable pack. I no longer shop at/am a member of REI though, as they are an anti-2A company.

·
Registered
12,563 Posts
I still use my circa 2003 Camelbak HAWG. Properly packed I've no issue being out a few nights with it.

1,024 Posts
I use a day pack I got from Sportsman’s Warehouse. It’s the in-store brand, 35L capacity. It’s technically a hunting pack, so it has a strap for a rifle, and a game quarter attachment system. I use the meat-strap for holding a sleeping bag that is wrapped in a tarp. The inside has two compartments, though one is designed for a water bladder. I use it for my fresh clothes, as it’s designed to be waterproof in the event of a bladder leak. The other compartment is for everything else.

The longest I’ve used this pack is 4 days, and while it was strained to hold enough (primarily food that took space), it was adequate.

In my opinion, anything more than 40L is too heavy for an enjoyable hike. Mostly because the extra space is too much of a temptation to over pack. 35L, when well packed, is about where you want to be. Though with more external pockets than mine has.

For recommendations on locations, I would look at the Shasta-Trinity and Klamath forests. Thompson Peak through the Canyon Creek Lakes trail is a personal favorite of mine.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Go to REI or similar store to buy.

Hopefully they have sand bags, like 50# worth, so you can load up the pack. Wear it around the store with each pack of interest, loaded down, for at least 15 minutes each.

You're way better off buying a cheap pack that no one is impressed with if it happens to be the most comfortable that carries well.

·
Only politics *****.
5,686 Posts
In my opinion, anything more than 40L is too heavy for an enjoyable hike. Mostly because the extra space is too much of a temptation to over pack. 35L, when well packed, is about where you want to be. Though with more external pockets than mine has.
That would be very depending on the gear the OP already has, and the area he's hiking in and the seasons he wants to use the gear in. ;)

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Milsurp ruck with rack. It serves a person well.
It will serve, but sucks for recreation.

OP, the Osprey is one of the better off-the-shelf packs. There are others like Gregory, Kelty, etc., but you won't be disappointed with Osprey. Dividend points are nice, but you can likely save a $100 looking for "used" packs on Ebay or similar sites. You can often find last year's models at steep discounts.

ROCK6

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I have an ILBE as my backpacking pack..and I'm telling you there are far better packs out there than even semi modern military surplus. The waist band on the ILBE is what really sold me and the fact that it was $80 shipped. Today there about 3x that price and you dont need to bring the kitchen sink for a 2day trip. Not to mention there heavy as hell.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
ULA Circuit. I've had mine for going on 15 years and their customer service is superb.
Excellent backpacking pack if you can remain disciplined with gear and weight. For summer hikes where my total pack weight is under 30 pounds, my ULA Circuit is my primary choice. My wife also loves her Circuit; great packs.

ROCK6

1 - 13 of 13 Posts