Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using this system for a couple years now, upgrading old/broken things as I go.

Any thoughts or ways to simplify it or carry less would be great. :)

I live in subtropics. Gets down to 5C at night up to 30C during the day this time of year.

It's a little heavier than I want (37lbs without water) for a weekend system. It was created through paring down unnecessary items from my BOB, to make a weekend hiking system. For longer hikes (7+ days) I carry up to 45-50lbs, and I don't know why this little 3 day-2 night kit is so heavy.

I can't think of a way to trim it down without losing something useful ...

Ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

----------------------------

3 Day-2 Night Hiking Kit

Bag

Maxpedition V2

Water

Filter - Katadyn Pocket Filter
Bladder – Platypus 3L
Bottle – 500mL stainless
Extra – Gatorade, Tea, Coffee - (all in sachets)

Food

Food – Freeze-dried, 3 days
Kettle – MSR Titan Kettle
Stove – MSR Pocket Rocket
Fuel – GMA ElementaL Isobutane/propane (1 small)
Cup – Plastic, generic
Utensils – MSR Spoon/Fork
Towel – Denali, mini
Extra – Salt, pepper, sugar

Shelter

Tent – Black Wolf Mantis 1
Sleeping Bag – Black Wolf Micron 50
Sleeping Pad – Thermarest Z-lite regular
Tarp (doubles as Poncho)

Clothing

Underwear – (3)
Synthetic Pants – (1)
Synthetic Shirt – (1)
Cargo pants – (1)
T-shirt – (3)
Poncho – S2S Poncho/Tarp
Socks, walking - (3x2)
Gloves
Hat
Thongs (flip flops)
Boots
Mosquito Head Net

First Aid/Health/Hygiene

FAK
Sun Screen
Bug Repellent
Toilet Paper
Soap
Toothbrush/paste

Fire

Lighter, BiC – (2)
Hexamine Tablets (3)

Tools

Multitool – Leatherman Juice S2
Knife, folding – Spyderco Paramilitary 2
Paracord – 50’
Zipties – 4
Trowel, folding
Eyelet – 2

Repair/Maintenance

Duct Tape, 10'
Sewing Kit, (strap repair)
Batteries – 1xCR123, 1xAA L92

Light

Headlight – Zebralight H501 (faulty)
Flashlight – HDS Rotary 200
Batteries – 3xAA L92, 3xCR123

Communication & Signalling

Cell phone – iPhone 3G
Signal Mirror – Hot Shot
Whistle – WW-3

Information & Navigation

Map
Compass
Wallet
Notepad
Pen, Pencil

Luxury
Video Camera system

·
I drive a compact car
590 Posts
I think the extra t-shirts, underwear, and pair of pants might make the difference in weight you're looking for. In the warmer weather, like this past weekend bowhunting (25 mile roundtrip with 3800 elevation gain) I take the clothes on my back, extra socks, an extremely lightweight long underwear set, and poncho. No extra pants, shirts, or underwear, saves about 5 lbs I would guess. YMMV

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ill add my inflation adjusted two cents for ya.

1. The stainless bottle may or may not ad some un necessary weight.
2.)Just take 1 pair of extra pants, and get rid of the t-shirts. Cotton is actually pretty heavy.
3.) what kind of FAK are you using? Those can be VERY heavy depending
on what you have in there. Some people have a monster kit, others just the basics.
4.) sun screen and bug repellant. What kind? The pressurized cans are heavy, and most of the weight is pakaging and propellant.
5.) dont take your whole wallet. Just take your id, some cash, and a credit card. Leave the rest in your car.
6.) use the iphone as your camera.

Frankly im not sure how you managed to get all this stuff to weigh what you say it does.
Perhaps you should look at using lighter weight versions? Also, some packs are pretty heavy duty... Probably not much help, but I gave it a shot.

·
Winter is coming.
2,898 Posts
Pretty good set up mate. Similar to mine but better gear.

The only things i'd do diFferently is change the pack to one with a frame. So much easier on the shoulders. Ditch the towel for a shemage. It would be lighter and have more uses. Add a folding saw and put some first aid stuff in your first aid! Also I've had bad luck with inflatable sleeping mats so i'll never use one again, but thats just me.

*Edit* Also you dont need a trowel, just sharpen a stick thats what the knifes for, makin stuff so you dont need to carry it. While i'm on my high horse i reckon choose between the knife and multitool you dont need both.(i'd go with the knife, multitools are pretty heavy generally)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I think the extra t-shirts, underwear, and pair of pants might make the difference in weight you're looking for. In the warmer weather, like this past weekend bowhunting (25 mile roundtrip with 3800 elevation gain) I take the clothes on my back, extra socks, an extremely lightweight long underwear set, and poncho. No extra pants, shirts, or underwear, saves about 5 lbs I would guess. YMMV
Because of prickly heat, I'd keep the extra skivvy shirts and underwear. Yeah, probably ditch the extra pair of trousers, too. I also always free-ball out in the field, but the underwear would be good to have if you want to take off the trousers and air out as it were.

If you can make a fire, I'd get rid of the stove and propane.

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
Been using this system for a couple years now, upgrading old/broken things as I go.
wow - seems like lots. you have allligators where you live? what bit of tropics? I am a little unsure of what is in your pack and what is on your body. I wouldn't count what's on the body - just what's in the pack. Therefore your boots in that list discombobulate me.

but here I go ruthlessly.

3 Day-2 Night Hiking Kit

Bag

Maxpedition V2

Water

Filter - Katadyn Pocket Filter
Bladder – Platypus 3L
Bottle – 500mL stainless - how heavy is this?
Extra – Gatorade, Tea, Coffee - (all in sachets)do you drink both tea and coffee? pick one.

Food

Food – Freeze-dried, 3 days 2 days. Eat/drink before getting out of car, and leave food in the car for end of tramp.
Kettle – MSR Titan Kettle good stuff
Stove – MSR Pocket Rocket good stuff
Fuel – GMA ElementaL Isobutane/propane (1 small) yup
Cup – Plastic, generic again how heavy? some really cheap things can weigh less than flash camping gear
Utensils – MSR Spoon/Fork ditto above. plastic is my friend.
Towel – Denali, mini
Extra – Salt, pepper, sugar

Shelter

Tent – Black Wolf Mantis 1 - 1.9 kg.
Sleeping Bag – Black Wolf Micron 50 down is better. :D:
Tarp (doubles as Poncho) what for?

Clothing

Underwear – (3)chuck. get 1 pr merino undies and they'll last 3 days.
Synthetic Pants – (1)chuck
Synthetic Shirt – (1)chuck
Cargo pants – (1)hang on... what are you wearing? need one pair lightweight unzippable synthetic trousers/shorts and one pair something else like longjohns if it gets really cold. otherwise just the lightweight trousers.
T-shirt – (3) chuck. you need a polyprop you're wearing and another for spare.
Poncho – S2S Poncho/Tarpchuck. you already have a tarp. That or chuck the tarp - you already have a tent.
for clothing you need a poly, a midlayer, a windbreaker and a warmth jacket if you're in temperatures cold enough for it. I take 3 layers into the mountains in winter.
Socks, walking - (3x2)2 pair. one on your feet. one for around camp
Gloves thought you said you were in the tropics. Heavy or light?
Hatsee above
Thongs (flip flops) if you like, otherwise tramping slippers, very lightweight. Thongs heavy and big
Boots on your feet I hope
Mosquito Head Net

First Aid/Health/Hygiene

FAK what for? how often do you get hurt, and what's in it? If you don't use it on 3 tramps don't take it.
Sun Screen Bug Repellent can squirt sunscreen into small bottle
Toilet Paper how many times do you pooh? 3 or 4 little plastic bags with tp in them rolled up into single serves. not a whole roll.
Soap hotel bar size? or if taking dishwashing liquid put in tiny plastic squirty bottle and use a drop to wash hands as well.
Toothbrush/paste squeeze a little into a tiny plastic bottle like an eardropper bottle. Some people cut the end off their brush but I think that's a bit ott.

Fire

Lighter, BiC – (2)
Hexamine Tablets (3) you have already got fuel. why you got these?

Tools

Multitool – Leatherman Juice S2 leathermans weigh a ton. what do you want this for?
Knife, folding – Spyderco Paramilitary 2 what is this for? You already have a leatherman. You croc hunting?
Paracord – 50’ why?
Zipties – 4 what for?
Trowel, folding going toilet?
Eyelet – 2

Repair/Maintenance

Duct Tape, 10' what for? why ten foot of it?
Sewing Kit, (strap repair) one needle, one thread.
Batteries – 1xCR123, 1xAA L92 rethink all batteries based upon what taking. 1 spare set batteries.

Light

Headlight – Zebralight H501 (faulty) get good led headlamp with different light settings. can get them with red filter for when you with people.
Flashlight – HDS Rotary 200 chuck it, you have a head lamp
Batteries – 3xAA L92, 3xCR123

Cell phone – iPhone 3G
Signal Mirror – Hot Shot
Whistle – WW-3

Information & Navigation

Map
Compass
Wallet chuck unless you're talking about a compass wallet
Notepad
Pen, Pencil

Luxury
Video Camera system[/QUOTE] no idea how heavy this is.
spare memory card?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Other than ditching platypus bladder, I got nothing

Msr makes a bitchen bladder(buy bladder and hydration kit online)

look for a knife called a ulu, its right up your alley.

·
Roughlander
275 Posts
I mostly agree with Absolutely!, except that I would keep the 10' of duct tape, just I would take it off the spool and wrap on itself. I would bring a hard plastic bag to use as a folding cup, and I would use a modified Kukri to serve as shovel, saw, knife, and hatchet. Wrap the handle in 1 or 2 layers of paracord, any left over is too much.
Also consider where you are going and what resources the hike/trip will provide you. If you are staying relatively near water, any more than 1 container for water is excessive, especially when you are bringing a filter.
If you have the knowledge to use medicinal plants, consider cutting out some of your FAK (I disagree with Absolutely! on leaving this behind).
My philosophy is pretty much, use as much as the wilderness provides you with and take only what it does not.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Maxpedition V2 - There are lighter bags. You could easily find a bag with the same capacity with about 1.5 lbs less weight. This is an expensive way to lose the weight though, so save it for last.

Filter - Since you're already using the platypus, get a Sawyer inline filter. They weigh 3 oz, and are cheap. That will save you almost a pound.
Bottle – 500mL stainless - Use a plastic sports drink bottle.

Kettle – MSR Titan Kettle - Excellent!
Stove – Look up alcohol stoves on Google. I have made several, and they work great. My favorite is the energy drink model. It's sturdy, small, and very light. This won't save a ton of weight, but if you get into ounce counting, it might save a couple ounces.

Shelter

Tent – Black Wolf Mantis 1
Tarp (doubles as Poncho)

Is the the tarp for the tent? Why both? The tent weighs 5 lbs. The pad weighs almost 1 lb. How about pitching a hammock (1-2lbs) under the tarp/poncho? Also eliminates the need for a groundcloth/footprint. Save at least 2, and maybe 3 lbs. And my experience is that it sleeps much better.

If you don't or can't do a hammock, how about a bivy bag?

Clothing

Underwear – (3)
Synthetic Pants – (1)
Synthetic Shirt – (1)
Cargo pants – (1)
T-shirt – (3)
Poncho – S2S Poncho/Tarp
Socks, walking - (3x2)
Gloves
Hat
Thongs (flip flops)
Boots
Mosquito Head Net

Too many clothes for 3 days. Heck, I don't carry that much for 10 days. Wear the same t-shirt for 3 days, it won't kill ya. Lose the cargo pants, heavy and pointless. Is the poncho tarp redundant, or is the same one listed above in shelter?

An out of the box solution is a kilt. I have a lightweight, fast drying SportKilt. No underwear. No chafing, no prickly heat, tons cooler in hot weather.

Lighter, BiC – (2) Carry 3. One in your pocket, one with your cookset, and one in your emergency kit. It's also a good idea to have some waterproof matches or a firesteel or something.

Video Camera system - This one is so obvious I'm going to assume that you're going to carry it anyway. :D:
Good luck!

Az

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Just a few wanted/unwanted comments to make.

Food – Freeze-dried, 3 days 2 days. Eat/drink before getting out of car, and leave food in the car for end of tramp. Good advice, unless you have to leave your vehicle in a hurry, dont eat while you drive, especially in an emergency
Cup – Plastic, generic again how heavy? some really cheap things can weigh less than flash camping gear I have a small collapsible plastic cup and its so light, I don't think it even makes a difference

Shelter

Tarp (doubles as Poncho) what for? Does kind of seem repetitive because you do have the tent however if your tent leaks or you get in a monsoon (typical of tropic areas) then your going to want the added protection. I have also seen allot of people using a tarp as a ground mat under the tent to keep moisture from coming up into the tent, or just to merely pad you against the ground. And yes your doubling it as a poncho, or maybe I would just get a dedicated poncho and utilize it as a tarp as well.

Clothing

Cargo pants – (1)hang on... what are you wearing? need one pair lightweight unzippable synthetic trousers/shorts and one pair something else like longjohns if it gets really cold. otherwise just the lightweight trousers. depends on the climate
Poncho – S2S Poncho/Tarpchuck. you already have a tarp. That or chuck the tarp - you already have a tent. I believe he is repeating what he has already stated, but it also falls in this category. And does have its additional uses
Gloves thought you said you were in the tropics. Heavy or light? I'm thinking work gloves.
Boots on your feet I hope Unless he wears shoes on a regular basis

First Aid/Health/Hygiene

Toilet Paper how many times do you pooh? 3 or 4 little plastic bags with tp in them rolled up into single serves. not a whole roll. Hell ya go with a whole role, just take out the cardboard from the center.
Soap hotel bar size? or if taking dishwashing liquid put in tiny plastic squirty bottle and use a drop to wash hands as well. Agreed
Toothbrush/paste squeeze a little into a tiny plastic bottle like an eardropper bottle. Some people cut the end off their brush but I think that's a bit ott.

Fire

Hexamine Tablets (3) you have already got fuel. why you got these? Ya I'm right here with you

Tools

Multitool – Leatherman Juice S2 leathermans weigh a ton. what do you want this for? Heavy maybe, but really usefull and well built in most cases.
Paracord – 50’ why? Dude, really, rope is super useful, what can't you use rope for

Repair/Maintenance

Duct Tape, 10' what for? why ten foot of it? If you cant duct it?
Sewing Kit, (strap repair) one needle, one thread.
Batteries – 1xCR123, 1xAA L92 rethink all batteries based upon what taking. 1 spare set batteries. Time to standardize your batteries guy

Light

Batteries – 3xAA L92, 3xCR123 Again standardize

Luxury
Video Camera system
no idea how heavy this is.
spare memory card?[/QUOTE] You don't need this, unless your using like the 5.11 glasses with the built in camera, really light.

Add a calling card and a role of quarters. Cell phones don't always work you know.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Take this for what it's worth. I did a 2010 thru hike of the AT in 5 months. My current pack weight is 22lbs with 3 days food, 1.5L water. Replies in bold.

I don't carry a FAK because I did a tour in Iraq as a combat medic. Medical is mainly skill, most stuff can be improvised. I carry a small compass and know how to navigate by stars and sun. Biggest thing is being able to build a fire under all conditions, fire is everything. You can boil water, cook food, keep animals away, keep warm, make weapons, and a billion other things. With experience comes lighter weight. I can feel very safe in the woods with a 10 lb pack for the weekend.

Any thoughts or ways to simplify it or carry less would be great. :)

I live in subtropics. Gets down to 5C at night up to 30C during the day this time of year.

It's a little heavier than I want (37lbs without water) for a weekend system. It was created through paring down unnecessary items from my BOB, to make a weekend hiking system. For longer hikes (7+ days) I carry up to 45-50lbs, and I don't know why this little 3 day-2 night kit is so heavy.

Way too heavy for both of them. I have done 14 lbs weekend and 30lbs 7 day, trying to go lighter.

I can't think of a way to trim it down without losing something useful ...

Ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

3 Day-2 Night Hiking Kit

Bag

Maxpedition V2 Max gear is way too heavy, go with Golite or gossamer gear packs, but wait until your total load is down to about 20lbs.

Water

Filter - Katadyn Pocket Filter 1oz bleach dropper bottle and bandanna.
Bladder – Platypus 3L
Bottle – 500mL stainless 1 or 2L gatorade bottle
Extra – Gatorade, Tea, Coffee - (all in sachets)

Food

Food – Freeze-dried, 3 days lipton rice sides, mashed potatoes, tuna packets, fig newtons, stuffing
Kettle – MSR Titan Kettle
Stove – MSR Pocket Rocket eat cold food, or esbit, or alcohol
Fuel – GMA ElementaL Isobutane/propane (1 small)
Cup – Plastic, generic eat out of your cookpot, drink out of your pot or water bottle
Utensils – MSR Spoon/Fork only need a spoon
Towel – Denali, mini use your bandanna
Extra – Salt, pepper, sugar not needed

Shelter

Tent – Black Wolf Mantis 1 way too heavy, get a tarptent, aim for 2lbs(1Kg or less)
Tarp (doubles as Poncho)

Clothing

Underwear – (3) women's underwear are 1/3 weight of men's or less
Synthetic Pants – (1)
Synthetic Shirt – (1)
Cargo pants – (1) only need synth pants and shirt
T-shirt – (3) maybe 1 for camp wear
Poncho – S2S Poncho/Tarp
Socks, walking - (3x2) use wool socks year round
Gloves
Hat
Thongs (flip flops) barefoot or loosely laced hiking shoes
Boots running shoes or trail runners
Mosquito Head Net

First Aid/Health/Hygiene

FAK
Sun Screen
Bug Repellent
Toilet Paper
Soap use campsoap for toothpaste as well
Toothbrush/paste

Fire

Lighter, BiC – (2) one mini bic, one firesteel
Hexamine Tablets (3)

Tools

Multitool – Leatherman Juice S2
Knife, folding – Spyderco Paramilitary 2 not needed, multitool has a blade, carry a small SAK as well
Paracord – 50’
Zipties – 4 not needed
Trowel, folding knife or sharp stick
Eyelet – 2

Repair/Maintenance

Duct Tape, 10'
Sewing Kit, (strap repair) dental floss and 2 needles
Batteries – 1xCR123, 1xAA L92

Light

Headlight – Zebralight H501 (faulty) petzl zipka 2 and 3AAA batteries
Flashlight – HDS Rotary 200 headlamp is better
Batteries – 3xAA L92, 3xCR123 headlamp and keyring LED light

Cell phone – iPhone 3G
Signal Mirror – Hot Shot
Whistle – WW-3 integrated sternum strap whistle

Information & Navigation

Map
Compass
Wallet ponytail holder with DL and cc
Notepad 1 or 2 sheets of paper
Pen, Pencil pencil, cut in half

Luxury
Video Camera system small digital camera

·
Winter is coming.
2,898 Posts
While you're wearing the womens knickers, you could also wear pantyhose as thermals. A skirt could double as a towel and keep extra ammo in yer bra.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Womens underwear?

Really?

...... no seriously
Women's underwear, synthetic, average weight 0.5 oz

Men's synthetic underwear, average weight 2.3oz

(so 3 pair, average weight savings 5.5oz, that is my tent groundcloth, emergency firestarting kit, sewing kit, and camp water bladder)

might not seem like a big deal, but cut an ounce or two off every piece of gear in your pack, and you drop a pound without losing any functionality. Same ideas behind cutting my mag firestarter in half, cutting 1/3 off my toothbrush handle, ect. Instead of carrying extra headlamp batteries, put your gear in the same spot in your pack and tent, and be able to do most stuff by feel, and get a LED headlamp. My headlamp can do 120 hours on the low setting, which is plenty for night hikes or reading. It was about 25 bucks as well. I carry a keyring LED light with a red bulb for backup.

While you're wearing the womens knickers, you could also wear pantyhose as thermals. A skirt could double as a towel and keep extra ammo in yer bra.
And keeping your thoughts about gear inside rigid guidelines is what keeps people carrying a heavy pack and wondering why. I use gear that works, no matter what its origin or former use. And SF guys actually do wear pantyhose at times for thermal layers. I have a thermasilk pants, basically long johns, that weigh 2 oz, and are loose, but they are incredibly warm for the weight.

My sexuality isn't defined by what clothing I wear.

Keep mocking it, I'll keep enjoying my hikes with a 20lb pack. I have done over 4500 miles of hikes, including a thru hike of the 2,181 mile Appalachian Trail. In the ultralight pack thing, my gear weight is nowhere near the lightest, it is heavier than average.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i think you could save weight on the water filter - tent - sleeping bag - clothing areas and see a 5 pound drop even right there

then look into what food your carrying

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Women's underwear, synthetic, average weight 0.5 oz

Men's synthetic underwear, average weight 2.3oz

(so 3 pair, average weight savings 5.5oz, that is my tent groundcloth, emergency firestarting kit, sewing kit, and camp water bladder)

might not seem like a big deal, but cut an ounce or two off every piece of gear in your pack, and you drop a pound without losing any functionality. Same ideas behind cutting my mag firestarter in half, cutting 1/3 off my toothbrush handle, ect. Instead of carrying extra headlamp batteries, put your gear in the same spot in your pack and tent, and be able to do most stuff by feel, and get a LED headlamp. My headlamp can do 120 hours on the low setting, which is plenty for night hikes or reading. It was about 25 bucks as well. I carry a keyring LED light with a red bulb for backup.

And keeping your thoughts about gear inside rigid guidelines is what keeps people carrying a heavy pack and wondering why. I use gear that works, no matter what its origin or former use. And SF guys actually do wear pantyhose at times for thermal layers. I have a thermasilk pants, basically long johns, that weigh 2 oz, and are loose, but they are incredibly warm for the weight.

My sexuality isn't defined by what clothing I wear.

Keep mocking it, I'll keep enjoying my hikes with a 20lb pack. I have done over 4500 miles of hikes, including a thru hike of the 2,181 mile Appalachian Trail. In the ultralight pack thing, my gear weight is nowhere near the lightest, it is heavier than average.
Some people aren't ready for ultralight hiking...(he'll, I'm not ready for it, but I do appreciate it enough to borrow some of it's philosophy)...but before someone goes ultralight, they need to hone their abilities as you have already done...if the AT and the military didn't test you, I don't know what will.

On a side note...In my state, if an individual needs to be rescued and they determine that the individual didn't adequately equip themselves...they will charge a rescue fee to the individual...

Just something to temper the ultralight concept with..

Most individuals have never taken a long enough walk to figure out what they don't need or are not willing to carry...

From my own perspective, sometimes I'm willing to carry a little extra weight...and you'll never hear me bitch about it...mostly because I hike alone ;)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Some people aren't ready for ultralight hiking...(he'll, I'm not ready for it, but I do appreciate it enough to borrow some of it's philosophy)...but before someone goes ultralight, they need to hone their abilities as you have already done...if the AT and the military didn't test you, I don't know what will.

On a side note...In my state, if an individual needs to be rescued and they determine that the individual didn't adequately equip themselves...they will charge a rescue fee to the individual...

Just something to temper the ultralight concept with..

Most individuals have never taken a long enough walk to figure out what they don't need or are not willing to carry...

From my own perspective, sometimes I'm willing to carry a little extra weight...and you'll never hear me bitch about it...mostly because I hike alone ;)
That is true, but I never leave out needed gear to save weight. If that was the case, then I would bring nothing and it would be easy. The hard part of ultralight is bringing everything you need without sacrificing much, or anything, and keeping your pack weight down at the same time.

Like I said, there are people out there that have much lighter packs than me, I just kept cutting weight until I found a pack weight I was comfortable with. It looks like 25lbs or less total weight is perfect for me.

You need a lot less gear than you think. This isn't meant to you specifically, but in general. I prefer to hike alone as well. As for the old myth that I didn't see much because I did 25+ a day on the AT, I hiked all day long, I stopped at viewpoints, relaxed, took long lunches, breaks, ect.

This goes for everyone, try a light pack sometime hiking, I guarantee you will enjoy it more, speaking from experience. I don't feel uncomfortable at all in camp, either, even with as light as my pack is. I look forward to my walks in the woods, I don't dread strapping on the monster pack for yet another trudging journey. Ultralight rules can work for any pack weight as well, that is that much more food, ect you can carry for the same weight.

·
Survivor or Survivalist?
297 Posts
I would agree with everyone that has said to get rid of some of the clothing..

Also, I would get rid of the kettle, SS water bottle, water bladder, and plastic cup and replace those with a Guyot Designs SS water bottle and a GSI SS cup that the water bottle nests into. Not only do you save weight, but you will save space in your pack also. You can cook all your food and boil water in your cup, and you still drink all your Kool-Aid and coffee out of it too.

If you only do three season outings, you can save alot of weight by ditching the tent too. Make a lean-to or A-frame shelter with your poncho/tarp. Maybe add some trekking poles to your kit, so if you don't have trees to hang your tarp, you will have two poles for the ends of your A-frame.

Not sure if you meant the boots are in your pack, or on yourself, but if they are in the pack, I would get rid of those and the flip flops. When I'm in camp, I just undo my boot laces really loose, and they are super comfortable to slip on and walk around camp.

·
Banned
217 Posts
An out of the box solution is a kilt. I have a lightweight, fast drying SportKilt. No underwear. No chafing, no prickly heat, tons cooler in hot weather.
Just because it's plaid doesn't make it not be a skirt.

Msurvivalist said:
women's underwear are 1/3 weight of men's or less
I understand you folks are very secure in your sexuality...but I'm so not going camping with you guys.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts