Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in my forum "how long to cook wild game", I was discussing how I was going to go hiking today. I did go hiking/hunting/camping, and all was fun and well, but it was a little cold. I did not get any rabbits/squirrels, and well, it is in the upper 20's outside so I decided to come in. I had a great time until I tried going to sleep, since it was only me, I just kinda laid there in the 20 degree weather and did nothing. It was extremely boring, hungry, thirsty, and cold, enough of the pity party though.

I did get a good amount of filming in, just kinda going around the property and setting up traps and fire making and all. I hope to be able to post the movies tomorrow, but like I said no luck and I did kinda bail out. :eek::

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I went camping last weekend down on the Savannah River at Ebeneezer. The fog did not clear til 2 O'clock on friday and saturday.

I had 2 nephews with me, thankfully, as I slipped down a slick embankment on friday, twice, and the first time I landed on my chest and face. Bruised a few ribs, just feeling better. I only dropped about 3 feet and boy it took the wind out of the sails!

Anyways, it was so thick with falling dew, it was like a light rain friday and most of saturday. I spent a good bit of time around the fire, one nephew fished alot and one hid in the tent cuz it was wet all the time.

Sitting there munching on water and crackers gave me great pause. If it had been a EOTWAWKI situation, and the fishing was as bad as it was, and I had actually broke something, and I was without a rifle to hunt with...

It gave me time to think about what I took with me and what I would want with me in a EOTW scenario and I had to travel a long distance on foot or stay in the woods for more than a few days. How much I could carry, what to carry, food, medical, etc.

I did also manage to ruin my cell phone due to the wet atmosphere and get a nice chest cold...LOL

Reactions: Ramona M. Faunce

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went camping last weekend down on the Savannah River at Ebeneezer. The fog did not clear til 2 O'clock on friday and saturday.

I had 2 nephews with me, thankfully, as I slipped down a slick embankment on friday, twice, and the first time I landed on my chest and face. Bruised a few ribs, just feeling better. I only dropped about 3 feet and boy it took the wind out of the sails!

Anyways, it was so thick with falling dew, it was like a light rain friday and most of saturday. I spent a good bit of time around the fire, one nephew fished alot and one hid in the tent cuz it was wet all the time.

Sitting there munching on water and crackers gave me great pause. If it had been a EOTWAWKI situation, and the fishing was as bad as it was, and I had actually broke something, and I was without a rifle to hunt with...

It gave me time to think about what I took with me and what I would want with me in a EOTW scenario and I had to travel a long distance on foot or stay in the woods for more than a few days. How much I could carry, what to carry, food, medical, etc.

I did also manage to ruin my cell phone due to the wet atmosphere and get a nice chest cold...LOL

Sounds like you had a great time, :rolleyes: I was planning on getting squirrels/ rabbits for my dinner, but unfortunately didn't see or hear anything what so ever. Well and since it was just kinda out in the back part of the land we own, I decided to just kinda hike back.

·
Registered
959 Posts
good job for getting out and 'doing it'.practice makes perfect...now you know more.you will do better and beter as you get more experience.in early 90's i boguht a new super tioga backpack.it will hold alot of stuff.first trip out with it was good...i got home and took out half of what i carried.the next trip was much better.learn...learn...learn as yo go.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I never get board in the woods. I just do Kung fu if nothing else. I have a 9 hour routine I have never been able to complete (I get through about 3 at most now).

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Please don't consider these outtings as failures. Especially if you have taken new knowledge away with each trip.

Plan on doing one or two things when you go on an outing, like build a fire to bake bread, or make a hidy hole out of branches and leafy debre, or make a fire stick a practice fire making, you could look for obsidian and make arrow heads or bows from natural elements. Put up a few snares and check them later in the day. build a food chatch to store food in on other trips.

Make a list of all the skills you would like to practice, then when you go on an outing do a few of them.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I had a great time until I tried going to sleep, since it was only me, I just kinda laid there in the 20 degree weather and did nothing. It was extremely boring, hungry, thirsty, and cold, enough of the pity party though.
:eek::
Now you know why Les Stroud carries a harmonica.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Always good to use camping skills as a test including hiking to your location. Did you bring cards, chess boards, dice? Part of my bug out kit after camping along with Mad Libs.

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
When bored in the woods, whittleing is good. Make a spoon out of a piece of tree limb or something. Helps keep you preoccupied and help pick up a great skill.

·
free man
626 Posts
Some funny responses here. NO ONE will be doing kung fu in the backcountry when its freezing out side, and one is otherwise trying to conserve resources(calories). When its truly cold, your either in all your layers, working/hiking(ie:burning resources so make it count..while ventilating said layers and trying to keep them dry), or in your bag and in your shelter. No inbetween.

I've been on countless solo week long deep winter backpacking trips, and the long winter nights are often the hardest thing to deal with. Plus you've got such a short day(9hrs?), your lucky to get more then 11-13 miles in even when your hiking in the dark that morning(with snow, cut that distance in half at best). This is just reality for the winter backpacking/mtneering.

Having said that, I always saved the ativities of cooking, drying any snow-wet gear, repairs of any kind, studying the topo map regarding the next days route(where next water sources are, how far and how much ascent, where lunch might be, etc), and whatever, all for after dark(5:30-6pm usually, when it gets COLDer fast) activities. I do these chores while in the comfort of my bag while inside my shelter and out of the winter elements. This saves resources(calories) while not exposing one self(and gear) needlessly to the possible extremes outside(winds, cold, snow, rain, etc. -nothing like having wetted out frozen solid shells like WPB jacket/pants, or worse..laying around inside your shelter while making sure your other gear doesn't get fouled also. plus wet gear gets heavy for the next days hike).

Also, a small digi cam is awesome at such times, because you can spend time that evening reviewing/reliving pics of that days hike, while in the comfort of your bag. Brings back memories that prolly wouldv'e been long gone otherwise.

If I do it right, by 9-pm-ish, I've finally calmed down my mind and body and can then sleep for the most part.

I stopped building fires years ago since I hike alot offtrail in the wilderness areas(fires are illegal there, plus its pretty hypocrital to demand a prestine backcountry campsite and then destroy it with an ugly firepit). Plus its a ton of work for something your gear should be doing(keeping you warm and cooking). Plus it gives your position away. Plus its terrible on your highend nylon/poly(plastic) layers and shelter regarding smoke and flying embers if your anywere near it for warmth or cooking. I'd rather be spending my resources doing other things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts