Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the forums for a week or so and am curious if anyone uses a regular hiking back for a BOB. Like an REI brand. I know they are very light and comfortable which could make long treks and quick movement better. They probably are not AS durable but they are durable.

I have been researching bags and would like one I could use hiking too since it would have the same items almost.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
148 Posts
i used to use an rei bag
http://www.rei.com/product/778468

I think it was that one. i liked the internal frame thing, but i ended up ditching it for an alice pack for a bob and using maxped bags for hiking/ghg/truck bags/edc.
I think what pushed me over was the thicker material that the alice and maxpeds have. i also like having more compartmentalization that the maxpeds have. hate having to take everything out of a bag just to get to something at the bottom.

I really don't think that there would be anything wrong with using something like the link above for a bob/hiking bag. it would be more inconspicuous in an urban situation for evac, and it was comfortable.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hiking backpacks are what you SHOULD use for a BOB. A good quality backpack WILL last longer than anything else. Most importantly they are built for comfort and long term use which is what you want in the first place. In the real world...humping along 40-50lbs of "survival" gear is no easy task and if and when the SHTF you'll be happy you have a pack built for comfort and long hikes. I know the external frame packs from Kelty are really good. I use a Gregory Baltoro 70, and was it expensive? Hell yes, but when it comes to gear you can't afford to cheap out. :thumb:

·
Registered
189 Posts
!!!! That is the bag I was looking at! lol It was that or the flash 50. I have a fam of 3 and possibly 4 soon. Do you think the 50 will be enough room?
I don't know how much gear you have and/or whom else is going to be using other packs in your family, but I would say the REI Flash 50 is too small. The Flash 65 is pretty good (a very popular backpack) for a 3-day BOB with lots of gear, but if you have family...you might want to get something bigger. Usually the rule of thumb is 1000ci per day per person. The guys who do the long-term hiking usually use 5000ci packs like the Kelty external framepacks which have a great reputation for holding up in the rough and have years of design improvements. Oh and regarding the REI Flash 50 or 65, its a well designed pack, but its built for the go-light hikers and the material is a little on the thin side in my opinion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm going to be absolutely honest. Having both used MANY hiking backpacks in the long term, the flash 65 is going to be highly durable. I'm taking it to the grand canyon TOMORROW on a 3 day trip w/my dad. I also LOVE the Osprey Aether 70. It is built a bit stronger and has 5 liters more capacity.

As far as MY BoB? I use a Maxpedition Vulture II. Smaller storage capacity, but I love the fact that it is panel loading rather than top loading. Its easier to get to things in the pack when I need them, the fabric is 10 times stronger than any of the hiking backpacks, and it simply works well for what it is designed to do.

My BoB holds everything my hiking backpack would. I use a 1 man tent and a VERY small sleeping bag. Why? Because I am only packing for one person. When I backpack I usually carry a bigger tent, warmer sleeping bag, ect. Each person in your family should carry their own BoB. I understand thats not always possible, but it should be your goal. You'll be much better off. NO WAY, even with a huge hiking backpack, could you carry all of the personal gear for 4 people. Its just not doable. Even having a school backpack for your kids or something full of personal gear REALLY helps.

You'll need shelter for your family. That means, either everybody carries a small one man tent, or you have two people carry 2 man tents. I would go with the second option. 4 man tents tend to be 4 season mountaineering tents and are very expensive, not to mention heavy. Also, carrying two tents means if you lose one BoB, you'll still have some sort of shelter. You can probably fit 2 adults and 2 kids uncomfortably in a 2 man. Its doable, but only in a pinch.

Each person is going to want a sleeping bag. All this weight adds up. See what I mean? You need everybody to carry their share of their personal gear otherwise you will be SOL :p

So in my opinion, go with a high quality backpack like the Maxpedition bags, and leave the hiking bags for camping and backpacking (which I highly suggest you do), although in a pinch they would work.

One negative aspect of military style bags is that they may attract unwanted attention. I keep all my gear to solid colors and I'm set. I dont think it will attract attention at all. I dont wear camo. I stick to solid, earth tone colors.

If I dont want to be seen by ANYBODY, I wear camo.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
If I had it to do all over again I'd go with one of these packs.

The thing I wish more civilian back pack manufacturers would do is add the molle straps to the outside of their packs.
I second the above post. Kifaru packs are AWESOME. I would go with those if I could afford it.
Ditto that.

The trick I think is to gather the gear you will be carrying, then find a pack to fit it in. If you don't you may wind up with a pack that is too small, thereby needing a new pack, or, you get a big pack and start putting "stuff" in it to fill it up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ditto that.

The trick I think is to gather the gear you will be carrying, then find a pack to fit it in. If you don't you may wind up with a pack that is too small, thereby needing a new pack, or, you get a big pack and start putting "stuff" in it to fill it up.
Good idea! WOW That pack is 7lbs! Not gonna be a lite travel thats for sure. But if it came down to it that would be the least of worries I bet.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Ditto that.

Yep. Too many folks simply get a "standard" rig to suffice. It might be fine but it does not address any special circumstances you might be dealing with.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep. Too many folks simply get a "standard" rig to suffice. It might be fine but it does not address any special circumstances you might be dealing with.
Remember proffessional backpacks like Gregory, Kelty, Osprey or even some of the REI stuff are built better than your "standard" rig. Thats why they cost so much more ($200 and up), but I'm not sure what special circumstance would occur that these packs could not address. When you are out hiking on a long term getaway, you are basically "bugging out". You are bringing everything with you to survive: eating, drinking, stuff to make a fire, shelter and trust me these packs are built just for that as well as comfort... which is the most important aspect really, once you are out and alone in the wilderness, if that pack does not fit correctly it can cause physical injury to yourself that would put a stop to your outing real quick. Same principal applies to your foot gear. I would do as the previous poster above suggests and that is get all of your gear together and find a bag that properly manages it. Once you have a bag that fits properly and handles all of your gear, get out there and practice humping it around!!! :thumb:

G

·
Even though I'm using my Arizzon Wolverine W32 as EDC, it also would be great for BOB.
I can squeeze a light sleeping bag and tarp inside and still have lots of space for other gear.
And with the Molle tape all around I can attac loads of stuff on the outside as well.

·
Preparing for tomorrow
408 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Sierra trading post sells discontinued camping gear for usually great prices. I have a plain jane internal frame pack. Just pick a subtle color, make sure it doesn't look too military. Try very hard to keep it to 30lbs. 40-50 is alot of stuff.

Bug out is a dire last resort. If you live in a suburban or urban area, save up for a few acres of rural land with-in 3 hour drive or 1-2 day sail. For the price most folks spend on 2 vacations, you can have some rural land to call your own. Best plan all together. You can also have summer cabin and rent it out in the summer to offset the mortgage.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.