Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently we didn’t anticipate breaking records for winds. Lots of wind damage here today. This pile of rubble was a mobile home housing our workshop and some storage, a storage and parts shed, and overflow equipment. Also so far lost the roof off the outhouse, a rabbit pen, 2 solar panels, and a few trees down, luckily the trees narrowly missed the duck and turkey pen

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Apparently we didn’t anticipate breaking records for winds. Lots of wind damage here today. This pile of rubble was a mobile home housing our workshop and some storage, a storage and parts shed, and overflow equipment. Also so far lost the roof off the outhouse, a rabbit pen, 2 solar panels, and a few trees down, luckily the trees narrowly missed the duck and turkey pen View attachment 349775 View attachment 349776
Wow! That is so heavy damage! I hope everyone and every animal is okay.
Just damage from winds? It looks like a micro burst.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple chickens missing but no carcasses so probably hiding. Rabbits are a bit shook up but no babies right now to worry about so they should be ok. Mostly just a lot of cleanup, some rebuilding, and hopefully we can find all our tools and stuff that scattered. There’s sheet metal blowing everywhere and a wind driven fire near town so that will have to wait.

Living spaces are secure so we are safe.

·
Registered
462 Posts
We had wind today as well and it toppled the 50 foot fir tree in my front yard back into my house. Luckily the damage appears to be minor though I will know more when the tree is removed as it is currently resting on the northeast corner of the house. A lot of rain yesterday and a mild winter meant the roots pulled out of the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had wind today as well and it toppled the 50 foot fir tree in my front yard back into my house. Luckily the damage appears to be minor though I will know more when the tree is removed as it is currently resting on the northeast corner of the house. A lot of rain yesterday and a mild winter meant the roots pulled out of the ground.
Hopefully the damage is minimal. Always something , right? This wind is crazy!

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
I guess we know who lives in MT....yep. Bad here too. The top of a tree broke off and landed on my old shop. Luckily its not a building I use anymore so it doesn't really matter, just some old junk and packrat nests but still...annoying to have a useable shed smashed up.

·
reluctant sinner
17,515 Posts
Yep Mother Nature can be a bitch at times. And yet people think its a waste of time and energy to have at least made plans to have places to go by different means and paths with at least a BOB.

Hope you get it all sorted out as quickly and painlessly as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Kids went around helping neighbors, fence repairs, rescue ing runaway roofs, tarping a guys roof that was blown off, picking up siding that blew off someone’s construction supplies. Other damages in the town nearest roof damages, trees down, a portapottty blowing down main street, steeple fell off the church, fire to the south... and still blowing. The animals are in and safe, people are safe so at least there’s that.

ETA: Power out in town, tree down across one of the dirt roads left a young kid stranded with parents on the other side was handled by a friend with a chainsaw, stores are closed due to power outage but the gas station will still sell gas.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I lost the roof off of my 70 foot mobile home in a small tornado on my last farm in 2005. Man what a mess that was, we had 8 kids at the time and I had no idea what to do at first... Well other than get the wreckage out of the neighbors hay field anyways. Jesus all that fiberglass insulation in the roof looked like the entire farm had been coated in friggin cotton candy. Man what a mess that was... lol...

I ended up adding a lot of wood reinforcement to my roof and then I screwed plywood over that and put on tar paper and roll roofing... Worked well until the next big windstorm three years later and much of that ripped off again... Our new farm has a house that is down in a hole blocked on all four sides by mountains and trees, no more wind issues... I don't miss that wind one little bit...

Good luck on your mishap, hope you get it cleaned up alright...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Power outage at my place. Came back on while I was gone, but was at least 10 hours.
Luckily, my friends place received minimal damage, but I'll be doing some chainsaw work on Saturday. They lost a few feet of fence, got a branch through the roof and lost a few trees.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Its headed my way, but should slow down some. They're only expecting 50 mph peaks. I think we're in a wind advisory not warning.

But they are forecasting blizzard conditions. Its raining, so it will ice over before some snow. Only 3 inches since it rained first.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Insurance is a prep too! Hope you all with major structural damage have it.
We do not here mainly because we haven’t built anything worth insuring yet. Montana doesn’t insure mobile homes (which we are using until we build). And when we build it will be with the intentions of something that will withstand anything insurable against. Until then it’s rebuilding solo for us.

ETA: The house back in PA has full coverage.

·
Bugged out already
4,078 Posts
When I moved to Alaska I was not aware of the winds that can suddenly hit without warning. I quickly learned about them. Forecasts can call for a calm day and then within an hour or so you can go from no winds to 80-90 mph gusts. Just this past month we had areas not far from me that had gusts up to 138 mph and just off the coast winds of over 200 mph.

When I moved up here from the bayous of the south I brought with me one of those big smokers. We had a storm shortly after I set it up with 90 mph sustained winds for about a 12 hour time period. I never found that big smoker, but did find a part here and there. While the trees do help block some of the wind, one of the first things I did was make sure I didn’t have trees close enough to the house to hit it. We anchor things to the ground using heavy duty straps. Anything that we want to keep that isn‘t tied down, at the first sign of wind, we go out to secure them or bring them in. SometImes you only have a 10 minute warning from no wind to 70, 80 or much higher wind. Stuff you don’t want? Well, they disappear solving that problem. :)

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,512 Posts
Gotta love Montana
DON'T KNOW how many times I rode across Montana on a cycle...
Weather wise, it seemed to try to kill me one way or another every time.
Lightning, golf ball sized hail, high winds so strong you had to ride crabbed like an airplane to keep your track, dust storm popping up, you name it and it has tried it.
One Summer...
I was coming out of Salmon ID and going to get to Butte by way of Big Hole crossed at the pass
mt border.jpg
THEN..
looked over my shoulder and saw this coming...
mt storm.jpg

IT chased me for the next hundred miles to get to the Xway where I hid under the overpass for the next 2 hours as it crashed around me trying to light me up with lightning strikes close enough that made my arm hairs stand up.
I Thought it was done with me but it circled around and I made it to a truck stop S/O Butte where it nearly blew over my bike while I watched. it was torrential rain for another 2 hours before I could leave.
BUT
that same system was not done with me. MILES from the nearest shelter it came straight at me and before I could get to an overpass to seek shelter it started hailing so hard with such big stones you couldn't have your hands on the handlebars. I literally hid beneath my helmet as well as I could and there was one big enough that centered the top of the helmet it cracked through the top gelcoats to the soft inner liner. Without that helmet it probably would have killed me. IF I hadn't been wearing my Rider Wearhouse Roadcrafter riding suit with full armor I would have looked like someone worked me over with a baseball bat. As it was I still had numerous bruises down the tops of my arms and legs.

EVERY TIME I went through MT it fought and tried to do me in. BUT, MT is where Glacier is...
IDaho was great weather, but there it was the animals that tried to kill me. but that is another story for another time.

·
Business Owner
2,345 Posts
Wind is a very big factor affecting my work at this time of year. I install Christmas lights and ladder work is dangerous in windy conditions. I have a rule, no "big" ladder usage above 15mph winds without a spotter and no big ladder usage at all above 25mph winds. My big ladders are 28' and 32'. I have on my computer the wind map from windy.com. My scheduler/assistant also keeps it up on her computer and alerts me to winds expected to come in, as well as changing the schedule to accommodate.
I have also put extra metal straps in my storage building to hold the roof tight in high winds and my house is fir-down roof all the way around, along with extra straps in the house too. My house and shed had an 85mph wind event about 10 months ago that both survived well. I had a few asphalt shingles lift up on house, but that was it. I was busy frantically securing metal straps in the loft of the storage building while those winds were hitting and the tornado sirens were going off.
My regards to those who had damage from the winds. I am glad all the people and animals seemed to have survived OK.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts