Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think a high powered air rifle has a place in a shtf scenario as a quiet way to take small game or would it just be a waste of space?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Yes. Depending upon the model, they can certainly be useful.

Plinking. Practicing. Small game in close range. Pest control.

I've had about 10 assorted .177's and about 5 or so assorted .22's. Some are louder than others.. Some lack power. Some are a PITA to **** the action ( 47 pounds of force). Some, with the right pellets, are amazingly quiet ( I shoot them without bothering the neighbors ). Others are as loud or louder than my .22LR's .

Favorite is the Gamo Bone Collector Bull Whisper .... Avail in .22 and .177. Suggest both.

The thing about air rifles is that you want to use heavier pellets, and keep the velocity HIGH but not supersonic ( 950 to 1050 fps ). Towards the low end is quieter. Towards the high end- noisier. Those high powered air rifles that claim 1300 or 1500 fps- you'll want to stay away from them. Considering today's offerings, you want a gas piston- not a spring. The bull whisper I talked about above has a nicer trigger than most, is relatively accurate, and relatively powerful.

Most of my recent air rifles can easily punch thru a 1 inch (3/4 inch ) pine board at 60 feet. I use them mainly on large field mice at 60 to 80 feet.

Taking it with you: If you ave the room- OK- but most better air rifles weigh as much as a regular .22LR.. While velocities are similar- 40 grain of .22LR has far more energy than 14 grain of air rifle pellet does. Take the .22LR and get a silencer for it. If you've got room- then take the pellet rifle ( or leave it at your bugout location )

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
keep in mind that OP is 16yo and his parents don't prep. His parents probably don't have a gun at all.

so, what's the best self-defense (air) rifle that a 16yo can buy?

I'd also like to know as I'd like to get one for my son, but first, I want to get my 7yo son a low-powered air rifle for him to learn on. Any recommendations on that would be appreciated. (and yes, my son will be taking the gun safety course as soon as he's willing to read the whole book before the class.)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
keep in mind that OP is 16yo and his parents don't prep. His parents probably don't have a gun at all.

so, what's the best self-defense (air) rifle that a 16yo can buy?

I'd also like to know as I'd like to get one for my son, but first, I want to get my 7yo son a low-powered air rifle for him to learn on. Any recommendations on that would be appreciated. (and yes, my son will be taking the gun safety course as soon as he's willing to read the whole book before the class.)

That's not the case at all I have several firearms I was just wondering if it would be a quieter way to take small game

·
Registered
432 Posts
Recommended: Crosman Pump

You've a nice assortment of firearms. I'd recommend adding to it a .177Crosman pump.

Mine are older guns that pump up to 10 times. I recommend them because the compressed air doesn't require the different hold needed to get the best performance from spring guns. Different numbers of pumps give different power values.

Airguns kill small game through penetration and require accuracy to get brain/spine or heart hits. .177 pellets are less expensive and you'll want to shoot an assortment of them to see what performs best in your rifle with differing numbers of pumps.

Join Air gun blog - Pyramyd Air Report | Daily Airgun Blog by PyramydAir.com and read their stuff.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts