Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HP .45 which has behaved quite well for a cheap gun but I do have one major complaint with it: the placement of the magazine release. It is too exposed and you can accidentally hit it make your magazine fall out which can be very embarrassing during a Mexican standoff (Beg pardon whilst I readjust my accutrements).
I fixed mine by using JB Weld to build up a semicircular ring around the release button. It is still very easy to get at and you can't accidentally spit out your mag. Just shoot the grip with flat black when you are done and its not even noticable.

·
One decade later...
221 Posts
I was thinking about buying one of those, but I decided I would just buy a

Taurus that I know I can trust.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Um... you did what? JB weld? Oh boy, where should I start..Please take the JB weld back off before it cracks off and jams your mag release. It would be better to replace that mag release with a lower profile one. Or even better yet, sell it fast!!!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is on the outside of the grip. The mag release is in no danger of being jammed. It works just fine . I have used JB Weld to fix the block on a tractor. You can machine the stuff. I know I have done it.

·
Banned
630 Posts
My friend, I do hope you are not using that piece of junk for your main defensive carry weapon.....evidently you don't value your life very much.....Its main forte is that it would be a good close quarters club to bash your opponent in the skull with....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I will put it this way i have ran several thousand rounds through mine functions flawless everytime so yeah i value my life and it is with my hi-point i will protect it with. I have ran several types of ammo through mine it shoots better with certain type of ammo but shoots everytime you pull the trigger. Have you ever owned one 1st maw and shot one after it has been broke in?

·
Endure-Adapt-Overcome
332 Posts
I have a C-9 High Point and love it. It's fun to shoot and it shoots as well as my Glock 19 it's only two time as heavy as the Glock. I have ran about 1500 rounds in my High Point and only had one jam. The mags are cheap and if you don't load them right they want shoot right.
As as far as trusting my life to my High Point, well I always have a back up gun because at any time you can have a problem with any gun. So my backup gun is a five shot Smith .38.
I know alot of people here hate the High Point Guns. I got mine because of all the hate here and I love the little gun. I still plan to buy the .380 for a fun range gun.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Hi Points always seem to invite controversey. If you like it, and it works every time, and you can hit with it,.. then keep it. lol Tens of thousands of Hi Point owners are all wrong? Not likely. The warranty is iron clad.. Any problems... they'll take care of it. Their main sins.. they aren't pretty, or expensive, nor do they have a name like Glock or HK on the side. Just make sure you practice with it, keep it lubed and clean, and find out if it prefers particular brand(s) of ammo. Remember the
'grease guns' and 'Sten guns' of world war two? Ugly, and were produced for about $8 each. If it's reliable and safe.. go for it and ignore the adverse commemts. Hi Points are inexpensively made, but they are simple (blow back) and there are scores of satisfied users to attest to that. Firearms preferences are just that.. kinda' like Ford vs Chevy vs Chrysler. lol As many opinions as there are people.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well put WSierra well put. Like you said they sometimes like different ammo mine shoots best with the extreme shock bullets so that is what i stick with. I practice with cheap bullets then finish up with the extremes because of the cost.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Thanks jbowen. I recently suggested a 9mm Hi Point to a friend of the family. She's divorced, has two kids, and has to live in an apartment in a questionable neighborhood for now.
Lots of petty theft, some break-ins and too much nighttime activity for her to feel 100% safe. She purchased the pistol, we took it to a local range, and it performed flawlessly with cheap Winchester white box JHP (good penetrators) She sleeps better, the kids sleep easier. A sorry situation, but it was helped by an inexpensive Hi- Point pistol that goes BANG every time. That was all she could afford.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Hi OS,

Seeing as this site has been a reliable source of information in my experience, would you site the factual sources to back up your comment? lol I sense you may not be a Hi Point fan. My research (limited as it is ) has been positive, as has my personal expersonal experience with these affordable ( Ok, cheap ) firearms. As mentioned above, my latest experience with the ugly 9mm was 100% reliability and great accuracy (for a new, 110lb, female shooter ) at 25 meters. Plenty good enough to defend her front door. Hard to argue against. If gang bangers use 'em, so what. They also use Glocks. 'It's just that most of them are dead or incarcerated." Facts?

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I love Hi-Point threads. It makes it so easy to ID the poseurs. :thumb:
Good point, Budget. I never thought of it that way. Kinda like $1000 worth of Mountainhouse food (good stuff) versus $60 worth of Ramen noodles ( not expensive, but adqequate), or a $500 survival knife versus a $50 KaBar.
Just a matter of practicality, I suppose.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Well put WSierra well put. Like you said they sometimes like different ammo mine shoots best with the extreme shock bullets so that is what i stick with. I practice with cheap bullets then finish up with the extremes because of the cost.
I wouldn't worry one bit about the nay-sayers regarding the hi-point. i have $1,000 rifles and $80 shotguns and a hi-point 9mm carbine. All my weapons go BANG when I shoot them, because I take care of them.

It is funny, people whine about hi-points failing them or have heard stories, but will spend 800-1,500$ on an AR, one of the poorest made and most finiky guns ever made and never bat an eye about problems with them. I guess it's just a status symbol to some to have a fancy name they can drop in a forum.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The gun works fine and it hits where I point it. The mag release sticks out. I fixed it. I'm not gonna sell it. I don't care if its cheap. If somebody else had the same problem I thought it might help. If I could have afforded the Glock maybe I would have bought one. However the family seems to like eating three meals a day and living indoors. It keeps them safe and thats all I ask of it.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Hi OS,

Seeing as this site has been a reliable source of information in my experience, would you site the factual sources to back up your comment? lol ...
No.
But it's true, nonetheless. You've just read it on the internet. :)

Actually, I have a Hi-Point 995 carbine on order, so I'm not dissing everything they make.
The carbine parts are big enough and with room enough for the sloppy tolerances to work reliably.

- OS

1 - 20 of 25 Posts