Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
So you switched from a meat diet to vegetarian and concluded it was salt? :confused:
Since he stopped eating any processed foods, he also dropped a ton of added sugar and HFCS from his diet as well as an alphabetical list of food additives. He was likely also getting more magnesium as well as more potassium in his amended diet.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15692166

That said, though, there are some people (a small subset) whose blood pressure does seem to be quite salt-sensitive. Just another example of one rigid set of dietary rules never has and never will fit every individual. Keeping blood pressure below the dangerous level is the goal. I say whatever works for somebody, as long as it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Studies have shown that eating salt has exactly nothing to do with high blood pressure.

It's Time to End the War on Salt

No Association Between Salt And Blood Pressure, Study Finds

"the study found no statistically significant association between blood pressure and sodium in the diet"

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/salt-heart-blood-pressure/2015/04/27/id/641075/

"The average American consumes between 3,000 and 3,500 mg per day of salt. The current federal Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend that Americans eat no more than 2,300 mg per day — about the same amount as in a teaspoon.

But recent research suggests up to 6,000 mg per day pose no risk for healthy people and that, in fact, individuals who consume less than 3,000 may be put their health at risk.
"
1. Check your blood pressure.
2. Eat salty snacks.
3. Recheck your blood pressure.
It will be higher. You'll find whatever you want in the literature. We've all learned with an authoritative method which I think has conditioned us to not question what's taught or written. Weight loss, regular activity and scarcity of salt, caffeine and alcohol will help in lowering the BP if the shtf while the stress will raise it. I've not found good evidence for effective natural remedies for high blood pressure. JS

·
Registered
EDC, GHB, and loads of chocolate!
394 Posts
Hello there I need some advice on hypertension. In a SHTF situation if I can't stock up on enough pills do you guys have any advice on how to deal with it. I've been trying to eat healthier and my first crop of pecans are ripening!!!! Do you guys know any plant I can grow which will help me deal with this? I know it's not as good as pills but in a SHTF scenario nothing is right your insight would be helpful.
Garlic. I was on medication for high blood pressure and it was making me worse.
Someone suggested garlic. Within 3 months I was under the pre-hypertension limits and have stayed there. 3mg of garlic capsules a day then I swapped onto one mashed up garlic clove a day from my veg garden. Toasted of course!

Reactions: CC Pereira

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
19,415 Posts
My husband had very high blood pressure which actually killed him.

I experimented and found his usual diet did not contribute to it. For him it was key to take his medication, which he did, faithfully, once the high blood pressure was discovered, but by then the damage had been done. The Norvasc worked very well on him getting it down to 110/70 and probably would have saved his life if it had been caught earlier.

He had a high stress personality with a lot of anxiety and was unable to exercise. He also never ate a vegetable or piece of fruit. I blame those.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My husband had very high blood pressure which actually killed him.

I experimented and found his usual diet did not contribute to it. For him it was key to take his medication, which he did, faithfully, once the high blood pressure was discovered, but by then the damage had been done. The Norvasc worked very well on him getting it down to 110/70 and probably would have saved his life if it had been caught earlier.

He had a high stress personality with a lot of anxiety and was unable to exercise. He also never ate a vegetable or piece of fruit. I blame those.
Sounds like stress, anxiety, poor diet, and lack of exercise, were the primary cause of his high blood pressure ... so logically, stress management, healthy diet (which includes high fiber foods, such as nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes), and exercise, would have been just as likely to reduce his blood pressure, as pharmaceutical drugs (which tend to have negative side effects, due to toxicity).

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
19,415 Posts
I think it was mostly genetics for my husband. He was black and had a family history of high blood pressure and strokes. He was in a terrible accident and bed-bound due to various factors so no exercise. He was self employed and had a failing business trying to support me and NOT lose the house. He had a lot on his plate I really think taking potshots at him doesn't help.

HE'S DEAD. What kind of vulture picks at a carcass?

Here's how you could have done it without looking like a [censored]

"PK, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. For those out there with a loved one battling high blood pressure here are some suggestions:"

For the next time...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think it was mostly genetics for my husband. He was black and had a family history of high blood pressure and strokes. He was in a terrible accident and bed-bound due to various factors so no exercise. He was self employed and had a failing business trying to support me and NOT lose the house. He had a lot on his plate I really think taking potshots at him doesn't help.

HE'S DEAD. What kind of vulture picks at a carcass?

Here's how you could have done it without looking like a [censored]

"PK, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. For those out there with a loved one battling high blood pressure here are some suggestions:"

For the next time...
I didn't mean for my comment to be a shot at your husband. I wasn't picking at / on anyone. I am actually unpleasantly surprised that you took it that way. No offense was or is intended. I also didn't engage in any name calling, whereas I suspect that you very likely did.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
19,415 Posts
Your comment was not kindly done. For future reference when attacking a deceased person's lifestyle you might just want to go with my suggestion. Your remarks rank right up there with the man at work who started screaming HE DIED OF COVID DIDN'T HE WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE and ran away.

He's DEAD you can't fix it. Advise the living instead. That is all.

I didn't curse you I left you to fill in the blank with whatever word you chose. Not my fault you went to the gutter for it. Now if you had seen something like jerk or things the language filter would have gotten (you can tell by the stars: **** **** are good examples) then we could talk.

I am fine with it now but your remarks obliquely blamed me, had I been a better nutritionist he would still be alive. That is harmful and unnecessary. He was a head injury and stroke survivor with Alzheimer's I was lucky to get him to eat junk if that. The last couple years of his life were beyond tragic. I don't need second guessers coming along pitching rocks at my choices.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,803 Posts
I found out I had high blood pressure in my early 40s (family history). At first the Doc tried water pills to reduce sodium levels. Since I lived in a desert, I already had low sodium levels, and the water pills made me sick. Then they tried a drug called Azor which lowered my BP without side affects.

The best solution to lower my BP was retirement, followed by moving out of California. Working hard on my ranch helps too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Your comment was not kindly done. For future reference when attacking a deceased person's lifestyle you might just want to go with my suggestion. Your remarks rank right up there with the man at work who started screaming HE DIED OF COVID DIDN'T HE WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE and ran away.

He's DEAD you can't fix it. Advise the living instead. That is all.

I didn't curse you I left you to fill in the blank with whatever word you chose. Not my fault you went to the gutter for it. Now if you had seen something like jerk or things the language filter would have gotten (you can tell by the stars: ** ** are good examples) then we could talk.

I am fine with it now but your remarks obliquely blamed me, had I been a better nutritionist he would still be alive. That is harmful and unnecessary. He was a head injury and stroke survivor with Alzheimer's I was lucky to get him to eat junk if that. The last couple years of his life were beyond tragic. I don't need second guessers coming along pitching rocks at my choices.
I did not intend to be unkind or insensitive, and apologize if that is how it was taken. I also did not attack anyone. I don't see how you could get all of this out of what I actually said vs what you imagine that I said.

I know I can't fix it, and I wasn't trying to. Maybe others can learn from your experience.

'Here's how you could have done it without looking like a [censored]' means whatever you said was censored, which is why I assumed you called me something inappropriate.

Maybe you blame yourself, but I did not and do not blame you, your husband, or anyone else, for your husband's death ... and I don't think you should blame yourself either ... and I know I didn't know your husband, but I also don't think your husband would want you to blame yourself. I wasn't pitching rocks, blaming, pointing fingers, or anything like that ... I was just pointing out the fact that there are numerous options for reducing blood pressure, besides pharmaceutical drugs. That's it. Not all of the other stuff you added.

I'm sorry for your loss. Can you please try to understand, forgive, and move on?

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
It looks like the study was up to 3 teaspoons of salt a day.
And 1 teaspoon is about 2100 mg, the recommended daily requirement. Before my 2016 heart attack, along with stress my BP was 180/100 a few times when I checked it at work. I used to put salt on everything. I am very salt sensitive, but like my pizza and chinese food now and then. I make sure I load up on water before and after.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts