Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there I need some advice on hypertension. In a SHTF situation if I can't stock up on enough pills do you guys have any advice on how to deal with it. I've been trying to eat healthier and my first crop of pecans are ripening!!!! Do you guys know any plant I can grow which will help me deal with this? I know it's not as good as pills but in a SHTF scenario nothing is right your insight would be helpful.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,890 Posts
Relax
No salt, low salt, at the very least don't add salt
Exercise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Studies have shown that eating salt has exactly nothing to do with high blood pressure.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/

http://time.com/3313332/salt-and-blood-pressure/

"the study found no statistically significant association between blood pressure and sodium in the diet"

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/salt-heart-blood-pressure/2015/04/27/id/641075/

"The average American consumes between 3,000 and 3,500 mg per day of salt. The current federal Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend that Americans eat no more than 2,300 mg per day — about the same amount as in a teaspoon.

But recent research suggests up to 6,000 mg per day pose no risk for healthy people and that, in fact, individuals who consume less than 3,000 may be put their health at risk.
"

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Studies have shown that eating salt has exactly nothing to do with high blood pressure.

"the study found no statistically significant association between blood pressure and sodium in the diet"

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/salt-heart-blood-pressure/2015/04/27/id/641075/

"The average American consumes between 3,000 and 3,500 mg per day of salt. The current federal Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend that Americans eat no more than 2,300 mg per day — about the same amount as in a teaspoon.

But recent research suggests up to 6,000 mg per day pose no risk for healthy people and that, in fact, individuals who consume less than 3,000 may be put their health at risk.
"

From experience
I had high blood pressure
I stopped adding salt, and my blood pressure plummeted, in about 5 days I was actually pale and light headed my blood pressure dropped so low, so with that in mind, the study sure as hell didn't include me in it or there certainly would have been diff results

I'm going to guess that was with 'normal' salt intake, I used way above normal

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
I have the same concern, as hypertension is a family trait. Lucky me.
But... I try to keep at least 90 days of meds on hand, and would think that the increased activity and probably lower calorie intake would thin me down some, helping my BP.

Can't do much about genetics, but you can help yourself to not exacerbate the problem.

Reactions: Done4theday

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,890 Posts
From experience
I had high blood pressure
I stopped adding salt, and my blood pressure plummeted, in about 5 days I was actually pale and light headed my blood pressure dropped so low, so with that in mind, the study sure as hell didn't include me in it or there certainly would have been diff results

I'm going to guess that was with 'normal' salt intake, I used way above normal

It looks like the study was up to 3 teaspoons of salt a day.

·
In dog we trust.
3,389 Posts
One of the first line treatments for Hypertension, after diet and lifestyle changes, is diuretics. (Less fluid in the pipes - less pressure)
Fortunately there are lots of natural diuretics like dandelion, hawthorn, and parsley that you could use.
Also, Hypertension is generally considered a chronic illness that affects long term health, ie. increased risk of heart disease, stoke, etc. In a SHTF situation, worrying about hypertension would be like worrying about high cholesterol, its something to be aware of, but there would probably be more immediate threats to worry about.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

"

bologna. my pressure went up. doc had me eating nothing but fresh fruit and veggies for a week. NOTHING processed. pressure dropped. every single study (and ive participated in studies so i know) can be manipulated to show whatever you want it to. who funded those studies, morton's?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,890 Posts
bologna. my pressure went up. doc had me eating nothing but fresh fruit and veggies for a week. NOTHING processed. pressure dropped. every single study (and ive participated in studies so i know) can be manipulated to show whatever you want it to. who funded those studies, morton's?
So you switched from a meat diet to vegetarian and concluded it was salt? :confused:

·
Closed for the Season.
15,894 Posts
Depends on what brings on your high blood pressure. First off stop smoking and drinking to excess. If you are overweight the best thing to do is to lose weight. Even if you are not overweight the skinnier you get the better. (Extreme body building is also likely to promote high blood pressure) Salt may or may not be a problem depending on your genetics. So look at your diet.

Also on BP meds. See if you can talk your Dr. into prescribing a larger dose (10mg instead of 5mg) of your medication and then cut the pills. You could also extend any medication after a event by monitoring whether a daily 1/2 dose is keeping you in a safe range.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Depends on what brings on your high blood pressure. First off stop smoking and drinking to excess. If you are overweight the best thing to do is to lose weight. Even if you are not overweight the skinnier you get the better. (Extreme body building is also likely to promote high blood pressure) Salt may or may not be a problem depending on your genetics. So look at your diet.

Also on BP meds. See if you can talk your Dr. into prescribing a larger dose (10mg instead of 5mg) of your medication and then cut the pills. You could also extend any medication after a event by monitoring whether a daily 1/2 dose is keeping you in a safe range.
What he said. If you are 20 or more pounds overweight that is where you need to start. For roughly every 10lbs lost your blood pressure will drop a corresponding 4 points. All the other stuff (diet, supplements, drugs, etc) are just trying to compensate for the increased weight and pressure/blood plumbing to run that extra mass (assuming you have extra weight obviously).

·
Registered
602 Posts
Preface - Don't consume/touch anything you're allergic to; my following advice is that of a medical professional with decades of teaching healthy habits in people with high stress careers (LEO/EMS/.MIL); I suggest that any changes in diet be recorded in a daily journal along with your BP recordings in order to find what specifically works best for you as everyone's body has individual reactions;

If you're overweight, drop the extra pounds.

Get a daily 30 minute workout routine (this alone can give you a 5 point drop).

Control your salt and monitor your potassium intake (salt down, potassium up) - don't go crazy here, just pay attention to what you're eating and make minor adjustments and record results (repeat to get the results you want).

Stop drinking, some folks say that drinking will reduce your blood pressure - this is correct if all you are having is one beer; so if you can't keep it to 1 beer, just cut out alcohol.

Add Flaxseed, Garlic and Ginger to your foods on a regular basis (make sure you're not allergic). Flaxseed reduces your serum cholesterol, the other two have a dilating effect on your blood vessels (causing reductions in BP). Use them to spice up your food, don't go eating handfuls of the stuff or chewing on cloves all day.

Want a yummy snack? make it a 70%+ cocoa dark chocolate bar. Increases the elasticity of those vessels which will make that garlic and ginger more effective.

and finally.. cut caffeine if possible. One cup of coffee a day or three cups of tea.

·
Hillbilly By***!
1,144 Posts
If you exercise, you need some salt in your diet.. Exercise will drop your BP big time, even walking 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week will do wonders.
Lay off the caffeine and lower the stress via some exercise and you'll see a huge difference. Also eat veggies and lay off the red meat and eat more fish and chicken.
Grill or bake things in olive or grape seed oil.
These will help a ton! Whole grain cheerios help too..
You'd be surprise what eating cleaner and exercising will do for your overall health and well being..

·
Adventurist
66 Posts
To the OP:

Unless you stockpiled canned meat, cheese, and sugar when SHTF you will be forced to eat a healthier more nutrient dense diet (such as a diet consisting of dried beans, whole grains, and wild veggies/fruit) and you will quickly see your diet related health concerns improve.

doc had me eating nothing but fresh fruit and veggies for a week. NOTHING processed.
Your doctor sounds awesome. All of the doctors I work with just prescribe pills and never mention anything about diet. It is scary how little education doctors and PA's receive on the subject of nutrition. Good thing I married a nutritionist ;)

...every single study can be manipulated to show whatever you want it to.
This is true but with a little education one can learn to sort through the bull****. I think the bigger issue is that people search for the answer that they want instead of accepting the science that conflicts with their current diet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cayenne pepper tea will equalize you BP and taken over time reduce cholesterol. I keep some with me all the time helps stop bleeding season food and drink it to also help open blood vessels. It stimulates tissue growth. Read some of the studies on it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If I found myself in a situation where I had high BP, and was not able to obtain mention for lowering BP, personally I would not worry about it.

I say that because I've seen BP studies which found lowering BP with medication does not improve ones health/ increase life span. So you can reach your own conclusion you can read some about that in this article ~

Does treating high blood pressure do any good?

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2012/04/02/does-treating-high-blood-pressure-do-any-good/

1 - 20 of 53 Posts