Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dear hubby has told me that he would like to be able to increase our preps asap but feels we simply do not have the space.

So today I got to thinking about where I could hide the preps in our very small home and it occurred to me the true test would be to purchases the preps without telling him and then to hide them.

My plan is to buy extra's as usual but as I find and make a space to contain the items they will just disappear while I'm home alone and no one is here I doubt anyone will notice as I do most of the cooking.

I figure the true test will be after a few months I will tell my family I have hidden preps through out the house and now it's time for them to find them.

So I challenge you all to think outside the box and see what new ways you can find to hide your preps in plain sight in a manner of speaking if need be and then see if anyone can find them.

Camoflauge the stuff your going to need if those who live in the home cannot find part of the families preps you should be in good shape for remaining grey.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Not what you're asking, but I disagree with going against his wishes.

·
Still here...
1,153 Posts
I disagree with making an Easter Egg hunt out of finding the preps, but I understand you're making a point. There are plenty of places to hide preps: under beds, in closets (including bedroom, end tables, behind couches, in couches, in the lost space between dresser drawers and the back,... just be careful you don't come across as a 'poor winner' while making your point. You want his buy in on this, not to rub it in his face that you're right and you have room to prep.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
People are still finding things from thousands of years ago that were hidden underground. Its your friend.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
These may not be viable for you, but they may give you ideas:

1. Under a workbench, behind the junk.

2. Under end tables and such over which you drape a table cloth to hide the preps.

Here are some other things, for instance, inside a stud wall and hidden by drywall (maybe you have something similar, wooden sheathing over an empty wall, like that):

Covered up with drywall:

And finally, above a suspended ceiling; you can put TP or light bulbs or anything else in the empty space like this; you could even build little shelves for storing canned goods, something I'm thinking of doing:

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I have 300 cans of SPAM underneath my couch. and no one knows it....

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
You have farted on spam? Remind me not to bug out at your house!
no I have farted on the pasta stowed underneath my recliner. ;)

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
In sealed box's under the house it's cooler, unless your foundation is a slab then where ever you would not look if you were hunting them.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I hope your couch is near the bathroom, with all the spam you have.
actually the couch is near the kitchen which will be the first stop in the life of my SPAM preps should they ever be called upon to offset absent or inactive dietary nutritional requirements. :thumb:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for reply's and suggestions.

Let me explain better that dh truly wants more supplies badly, his concern is that we don't have the space to keep it out of sight of anyone walking in the door of our home.

While we don't have guests or callers that often you never know. Our home is very small.

I wouldn't go against his wishes but feel if my own family doesn't notice our supplies building up then I have succeeded in his wishes and have done in a good job in staying gray.

I must have missed a few posts on this and will look harder thankyou for the link.

·
Banned
790 Posts
I don't see the point of playing hide-and-seek with your family, but your higher goal of increasing stock while maintaining OPSEC is valid.

In my case, I have filled a closet in an unused bedroom with food. I also securely mounted my gun safes in another closet. The only outward sign of anything unusual is that the gun closet door has a substantial deadbolt lock on it. I know it's an OPSEC leak to have a serious lock on an interior door, but there's no workable alternative. I even tack welded the pins onto the hinges. A raider would have to beat down a solid, heavy door only to find not one but two more safes to bust into.

Anyone casually walking around my house would not notice my preps. Of course, if they snooped in drawers and closets and cabinets I would be given away. But anyone that nosey would not be welcome here in the first place.

I think if you need to go to extremes to hide preps in your own home, then your real problem is that you aren't choosey enough about who you have over as a guest.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I know someone who started hiding preps in the house and found out that that the "dear" husband had also been hiding stuff... only it wasn't preps.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 1000 sq ft home no basement, garage, or useable attic, we are storing preps for 10 people that is a huge amount of food. When you live in that small of a home you soon run out of bedroom space. This means we shall soon have to store things in the livingroom, dining room area the kitchen living room and dining room are easily viewed if anyone knocks on the door.

A delivery man, neighbor, or someone stopping by that son or husband works with would easily see into those rooms as soon as the front door is opened.

If the grandkids had a friend over they would also see those plus their bedroom.

No one we would let into the house further then the those rooms would search our cupboards but even so I want those items in the cupboards contained for fast removal if we had to leave in a hurry anyways.

Living in a very small space changes how easily preps can be stored and still allow the home to liveable.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Owe I do love being creative:

Under the sofa
Make a sofa our of preps and put the cushions back
In the Walls
Under floor boards
In the dogs bed
Behind pictures
Behind the clocks
Sewn in the bottom of curtains
In the loft/attic
In the Basement
In the Garage
In the shed
At the bottom of the pond well sealed in bags etc
In the hedge if its a nice thick one - same with the trees
Behind the TV
At the back of clothes drawers
Under the bed
Make the bed out of some with mattress on the top - it might not be comfy though.
Hidden in uplighters
Bottoms of vases with flowers on top
Inside a moc high fi
In Books
Behind Books
Under books
Under the bottom drawer of any set of drawers, theres always a few inches of space there.
In the toilet cistern
Under the bath and behind the splash board.
In all cupboards at the back with the other stuff in front
Put in the bottom of planters then false flowers on top on windowsills
Fixed to the underneath of table tops, coffee tables etc
Fixed to the bottom of the shelves
In fish tanks in well sealed bags and hidden by rockery and plants
Hidden in soft toys
Under the dogs toys if you trust them not to eat them.

Oh the places are endless.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
If you keep your luggage in your closet fill it with dry goods. I would not put canned goods in it cause makes them to heavy to get down from the top of the closet and it hurts when they fall on you.
Line back of the top of your closet with items and put the stuff back up in front of the preps.
If you have a spot where you would like a full lenght mirror it is a very good way to cover the in wall between the studs storage mentioned earlier.
I sure wish the guys that always post about under the couch would show a photo of that cause I can't figure how they acomplish it and how do you move your couch to clean after you do that?
Good luck I am having a difficult time with storage also, we have no basements and its very hot so storing has to be in the house.
One thing I found recently was a climate controled storage facility where you can rent a 8 x8 room for 30.00 a month I am seriously thinking about this. The facility is in the country about 5 miles from our house.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
I have a spot in my home, that is in the laundry.
If I wall it up, no one would even suspect that any thing but the other bed room is on the other side of that wall.
If you have book shelves , in some cases on can add a false panel on either side and make it deeper . shelve it and have a thin venere pannel covering the back so that if it is moved they see nothing but what they would normally see =wood.
Walls make the best hiding place but only for canned foods that do not have to be rotated . foods that need to be repackaged in hard containers and vaccuumed are a bit tougher , though there is usually a lot of space in the roof ,it gets hot up there which can age food expotentially. below the floor is good but again if there is flooding at least if it is sealed well nothing much is to be feared . Even if there were a fire , some areas of floor are not likely to get effected badly .
Under the house I would say might be the very best place to store things .
Cooler tempretures,
Out of sight ,from theives and prying eyes,
last place affected by fire ,
Accessable through a floor pannel easily hidden with a carpet or cabinet .
Cheap to modify.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts