Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fully Prepped(in my mind)
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on camouflaging solar panels? Won't do you much good to gather all that energy to survive if everyone can see the glare and come permanently borrow them..

·
Registered
126 Posts
unfortunately not much. most camouflage of any type would generally change the properties of the panel and make it much less effective. the only thing i can think of would be to sink it in a bit and stick some lexan over it and call it a sun roof. even that would likely cause some loss. you might want to look at electric free alternatives for the things you need such as a solar water heater which looks like little more then a water tank.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
depending on the pitch of the roof, maybe if it was a flat roof with the panels set back some they might not be notice as much or at all.or put behind a board fence out of sight.

·
\m/ d(-_-)b \m/
210 Posts
You could sink it in a pit or build a wall or fence around it. This would lose alot of the sun that would hit it but all the reflection would go up. Depending on where you live, a windmill might be a good choice as well.

·
Fully Prepped(in my mind)
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking more in terms of overhead. I know it seems impossible but there has to be a way to do it. On a cloudy day you get reduced efficiency, but still get power. I may need to experiment with having it under patio shade cloth and camo netting to see how much I lose from them.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
camouflaging solar panels?...everyone can see the glare
Here is my plan:
1. on the south side if the house, mount the panels at ground level on a platform tilting south / south west
2. plant hedges just tall enough to obscure viewing from the east and west with taller hedges some distance away to the south. The house blocks the north view.
3. you will need to measure shadows, and sun angles on the longest and shortest day and also at the spring and fall equinox
4. have your platform built so that you can quickly cover the panels with plywood covers to protect from hail or dropping branches.
5. you will have to manually remove snow accumulations but it will be easy to reach.
6. lastly, it is much easier to remove and move the panels to safe storage if you have reason to believe you maybe come under attack.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
get the auto tracking bases, they move to be oriented directly at the sun. unless someone was directly over the panels, there should be no reflection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts