Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering..I have a small amount ( like 15 ounces) of silver/gold bullion. I do not have a safe or a place for a safe even if I could buy one, and I dont want to pay for a safe deposit box. Do you guys have any tips for hiding it? I'm afraid someone might steal it.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Good lord, you're really stumped on how to hide something that is smaller than a baseball ? Put them in a jar or piece of tupperware and bury it in the backyard,hide it in the attic, or even toss it under the couch. :xeye:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Round or ingot planks?

1-The back or bottom of the freezer (wrapped in butcher paper for camo).
2-Bottom of ammo can #3.
3-Wrap in plastic wrap and duct tape them under your important furniture (dresser, coffee table, or computer desk).
4-Spice rack inside empty spice container (pepper, baking soda)

Good with tools?
1-Cut grooves in tops of solid doors (closet or other seldom opened doors) big enough to slide the rounds or planks into on end.
2-Build a piece of furniture (night stand, tool chest, shelves, entertainment center) and include false bottoms and doors.
3-Modify existing furniture or cabinets with false compartments (usually rear access).

Good with arts?
1-Stick them in Plaster of Paris (plastic wrap for protection) and carve & paint the plaster into a decoration (symbols of family heritage, prized kindergarten project, memento of your past).

Depending on how long you're going to be at your current location (homestead, gypsy life, college), the potential locations to hide stuff is endless.

·
Criminitly!
620 Posts
I can hide it for you and won't tell a soul, not even you!
But take a zip lock baggie and tape it to bottom of the TV, a small wall safe behind your chest of drawers or behind your clothes in your closet, a fake plastic drain pipe in your house, put them between crappy cards in the old 8th grade '87 tops album between Greg Brock and Joe Cowley.

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
3,821 Posts
i agree with the backyard, a friend has 1000 oz burried in an ABS tube from home depot with a tomato plant growing on top of it.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Burry it in the yard and put something over it like a huge planter or a koi pond or something.

If inside your house, put it in the wall. Remove an electrical or cable outlet and drop it into the drywall. Then replace the outlet cover. If you want to pack it in a baggie, and attach a string to the bag, drop the bag behind the drywall and tape the end of the string to the wall on a spot that will be covered by the outlet cover. Preferably an outlet in a child's room. Deep inside vents is another option but make it DEEP.

• Do not hide it in the kitchen. This place will be one that crooks will go through.
  • Do not hide it in the bathroom.
  • Assume everything will be knocked over and looked under.
  • Do not put it inside something that may be taken (inside lamp post, stereo equipment, pillows, luggage etc)

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah dont put on or in furniture as your home may be looted and good stuff stolen..if you have to get out quick or you dont make it home 1st?..but the ground isnt going anywhere unless maybe were talking a earthquake?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would recommend a safe deposit box. If something happens to you and you have it in a hole in the ground it will be lost forever. And if you end up in a coma and someone sells your TV with gold strapped to the back you'd be out.

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
I would recommend a safe deposit box. If something happens to you and you have it in a hole in the ground it will be lost forever. And if you end up in a coma and someone sells your TV with gold strapped to the back you'd be out.
A safe deposit box and a Bank Holiday could yield the same results.

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
I was just wondering..I have a small amount ( like 15 ounces) of silver/gold bullion. I do not have a safe or a place for a safe even if I could buy one, and I dont want to pay for a safe deposit box. Do you guys have any tips for hiding it? I'm afraid someone might steal it.
Bury it. Really, it's not that hard to hide a little more than a pound of metal.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Thanks to virtual gold etc. more gold now has been sold than is actually available.

I still wonder what the effects of that will be overtime. It could lead to a drop in the value of gold.
I think you have this backwards. Non-existent gold being sold ( ala fractional reserve) is now keeping gold's price down and undervalued. Should there be a run on gold, then this sham would be fully exposed because the actual physical gold that exists is only a small percentage of paper gold being sold now. So, over time ( actually, very quickly) gold's price would skyrocket.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The ground is your friend is all I will say.
The problems with burying anything of value is that you would have to commit to that location for a long time, and some people do not have access to private ground (apartments in cities, college dorms, etc). I like the ground idea very much, cause I have stuff buried, but there's options indoors that are more available to more people.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a dozen farm fresh eggs for sale. I will sell these eggs on an egg certificate to the first 100 buyers. Jump in now, the price of eggs is going up everyday and you don't want to loose out on the opportunity to get in while the prices are still reasonable.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Where ever you hide it keep in mind a metal detector can detect it at several feet.

Hide it in or around or under something with a fair amount of metal in it. If it were me and I had a safe I would prolly hide it in the floor under the safe, any thief knows to break into or take the safe. Wherever you hide it protect it from the elements. Welding rod cases are good storage units, they have a rubber o ring on the lid and you can safe guard it from elements even in direct ground burial.

If the gov ever comes looking for gold you can be sure they will have detection equiptment, if you bury it in the ground make sure it is under your large scrap metal pile or something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts