Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about putting together a few small "kits" ie... food, ammo, etc... in a waterproof container, and burying it in an area that is fairly safe from development. For example, I live within 10 miles of a 1300 acre park that seems to be an ideal place.

However, there's certainly some risk involved, particularly if someone happened to spot you in the process.

Has anyone done this? If so, where (generically speaking of course) what sort of container did you use, how deep did you bury it, etc...

Thanks
David

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
Have caches on my land, and on a neighbors who also preps. Public land tho is dicey.
You will have to make sure buckets or PVC Pipe you use wont float up in saturated soil (had a few do that).

Mine are fer in case I am forced to relocate, or temporarily abandon my place.
Used PVC pipe, buried about 2 feet down, with wood (limbs) into the side walls of the
pit and across the pipe to help keep it down.

They are also useful if you have a distance ta go to get to your BOL.
That way you can (if ya have ta hoof it) travel lighter and faster.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
What he said- Buckets, pvc pipe. Heck, I would even use ammo boxes with a good rust proof coating on them. On public land it will have to be a nighttime operation. Just make sure you can be able to locate it! GPS, so many paces from a tree or outcropping etc. Try to observe the area first to make sure weekend treasure hunters are'nt wandering around with their metal detectors:eek:

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have a concept of micro stashes around my area. A pill bottle with 50$ a few rounds of ammo and a granola bar. hide them well in public places. Take GPS reading at sites and take a picture.

·
Anti-Communist
718 Posts
I had an idea about using large diameter copper pipe, like the stuff used in old drains, solder the ends and now you have a perfectly element proof container. Expensive but effective. ?...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all!

The PVC is a great idea! I remember that being used on top of a mountain in Wa. State with a journal in it for people to sign. In fact, I think that would be small enough to easily hide almost anywhere...

A bucket with a Gamma seal lid would be also be a suitable container.

I agree with GPS & pics, hopefully we won't be living in the stone age where our GPS satellites have been knocked outta the sky :)

Finding the right location seems to be the tricky part.

David

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
GPS can fail or tha batteries can die ------ make a map.

Reactions: DavidJ

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been thinking of doing just this 1/2 between my house and the furthest point I travel for work. (I can be up to 60 miles away) The best idea I've come up with is a cemetery. It would not appear unusual for someone to be digging at the base of a tombstone, especially if your brought along some flowers.

Pros/Cons???

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
Another idea to keep things real dry.
Get as large of PVC pipe in diameter as you can, get two screw on end caps for each side. You can get the supplies at most Lowes or Home Depots.
I would go with 6 inch or larger if you can find it.
Drill a hole (about 453" or .625") in the pipe after you put the ends on it and put an automovtive tire valve stem in it. Once the objects are in the tube and the ends sealed, place a few pounds (not to much or you will blow it up, PVC is marked on how much air presure it will take) of nitrogen in the tube. Most all tire stores can inflate it for you. Nitrogen has zero moisture in it so I say use it instead of regular compressed air. However compressed air will still work if you have an inline air dryer on it. This keeps moisture out of you goods.

Don't use the rubber style caps like shown just the screw on ones.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Caching items is exactly what he us describing. Hence the sport of geo caching items. I am glad you brought this up as it has been on my mind. The western territories are large and have wide open spaces and large distances to cover if moving from one state to another or as example from one end of California to the other. It would be necessary to cache items along routes to ensure re-supply during movement from one place to another.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Dont hide things in parks for most offer some sort of shelter or over hang, parts of playgrounds have the little buildings the kids climb on so it will attract homeless. Sewers are a no go for obvious reasons. I suggest, for a mini cache like an ammo can or two, a freshly covered grave. The dirt is already disturbed, its rarely patrolled at night by police and once you got them buried a few feet down, recover the earth and tamp it back into place, no one is going to notice nor suspect someone came along and buried something there so the dirt dont have to be perfect. Jot the name of the headstone down, come back and make a map of the plot and you are set. In a time of crisis the last place people will migrate to is a graveyard.

Under high tension wire skeletons in the country is another good one, especially for weapons since any metal detector will go wild due to the metal all around it, let alone the magnitization from the flowing electrical current will make metal detecting null and void. Even if its suspect you buried 4 mini guns there by the feds, they would literally have to have that grid area and several other grids power shut down and affect thousands of homes, so the odds of discovery are only if you are seen going to and from that location.

If you got land and could spend time digging without being noticed, get you an old refridgerator or broken drop freezer and dig a hole for it so the closed door or lid is 2 feet below the ground, measuring well will ensure this. Once the hole is dug, cart it out to the hole and drop it in, then load up your goods you plan on stashing for a long time in it and pack it as full as you can, 02 pack top and bottom, close the lid or door then seal it with tar, bondo, layers of plastic, you name it so it will endure lots of ground moisture soaked up from heavy rain or melted snow. Now this is the type of long term stash youd only go to when youve depleted everything else so be wise on what you store in it, like #10 cans of mountain house foods is a prime example, perhaps some clothes, long storable medicines, you get the idea. So when the time comes to where your ribs are showing, you need only dig around the lid, and break it off if need be and remove the contents. As long as you are smart about sealing the freezer or fridge and what you put into it, youre golden.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,569 Posts
I've been a caching maniac for years now. I have caches along my various bug out paths, and even some "roadside" caches in areas I used to travel frequently. I have them in 3 states.

In some areas, caching is quite feasible. Being mostly desert here, it's pretty easy too. They can be a pain to maintain though. Some of the things such as fuel, need regular freshening.

·
1 riot 1 ranger
2,057 Posts
I think anyone planning to bug out should have stashes pre-planted along the route they plan to take all the way to your final goal. You can travel so much lighter that way. If you have the time and money you should outfit more than one route.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
I play a game called geocaching (if you never played you're missing out... Its like a preppers dream game). Anyway, The goal is to find hidden caches. I've seen them made from almost everything... Ammo boxes, tupperware, peanut butter jars, PVC pipe, buckets w/lids. All worked great and seemed water tight.

I think the coolest one was a PVC pipe where the owner had hot-glued pine bark on it.... it looked like a broken off limb.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Having something stashed can be/is a good idea. As Mongoose said public land can be iffy, so can private. If its Turkey or Deer season you can have hunters well hidden and the stuff you just buried might not be there when you return for it.

Kinda like the people that claim to know of a cave that nobody else knows about. I'm confident that no matter how out of the way a cave or the "Perfect spot" is, someone has ran across it before. :) but extras hidden here or there would be worth the effort I think.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had a good idea for marking the locations. If you bury them near trees, put a heart on the tree that says XX + YY. Have the initials be some sort of code for "on the other side of this tree, 5 paces." Nobody is going to put it together unless they stumbled upon one of them anyways.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts