Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am interested in setting up 2 275 gallon IBC totes to store rainwater and use for my garden, with the thought that it would be available if needed for drinking after filtering.

So I live on a corner lot in a subdivision.... No real privacy.
Don't really care what neighbors think, if they haven't realized i am a prepper, they aren't paying attention. I practice opsec and don't advertise, but at the same point, its obvious I am using as much of my land for food production as possible, while still having a yard for kids and presenting a normal appearance on the front of the house. And I am playing with ham radios, and a generator, and gas storage, etc.... And I am not the guy to bother trying to hide this activity all the time.

All that said, i want to stack these 2 totes next to the back of my house.
Has anybody here done a good job concealing/hiding/disguising them?
I just don't want to look at them all the time, i am sure my wife already thinks i am crazy.

I am thinking a 3 sided PVC structure with some side board material attached and a plastic sheet roofing panel thing. Keep it as light as possible, then put 2 handles on either side, so 2 people can remove the cover. Basically try to make it look like a little shed.

Thoughts ideas?

·
Registered
464 Posts
what about lattice on three sides with the fourth side up against the house.

Then growing either strawberries of plain Ivy to hide the totes.

If you have a fireplace you could hide the totes behind the firewood.

You could build a cob oven with the totes hidden on the back side. If going this route I would separate the totes from the oven with fire brick. as a bonus you could use the oven to cook on when/if power went out.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
house sided with PVC siding or similar material? .... build 2" X 2" framework and attach to IBC tote racking .... cover with matching house siding ..... if you get the lateral or vertical to line up with the existing siding, it should be fairly hidden from a distance ....

·
Registered
863 Posts
Do you have to stack them, or could you set them side by side to reduce the profile? You could build a "play house" around two totes side by side and paint a couple of windows and door on it, scatter with a couple kids toys and they will disappear from prying eyes completely.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Stacked side by side with a fake "play house façade" covering them would probably work like a champ. Kids aint that young...claim you sometimes baby sit for family members or your grandchildren. Who would give a play house against the side of the house a second thought and it shouldn't be an eye sore either to you or your neighbors.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would stack them against the back of my garage, side by side, and then camouflage them with grape vines or berry bushes. its what I plan to do as well. maybe build a tiered planter box around them and plant strawberries...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts