Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently looking for an inexpensive concealed carry weapon and came upon the Hi Point pistols. They have a 9mm, 380, 40 and a 45, I think. All are less than $175. And they have a lifetime warranty, and made in America. Anyone have any experience.
I know; you get what you pay for. do you want to trust your safety to a cheap gun. Etc, etc.
Looking for personal experience.
Thank you, all, in advance.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
while its nothing inherently wrong, i think alot better pistol you can pick up used for a little bit more is the taurus millenium pro series. Also has a lifetime warranty and they are imo about the perfect size and weight for concealed carry.

I own the pt145 and use it for ccw (also own a glock 27 now and a stoeger cougar 8000 for carry). Great little package. Take a look at that line. They go new for around 350, but ive seen the pt111 9mm's go around 220 on gunbroker frequently. Im actually thinking of picking up a cheap pt111 myself.

kel tec pf9 or p11 is another option that will also be even smaller, slimmer and lighter than the mil pros. I just think the mil pros make better all around guns. They can be had for around $230 new. CDNNinvestments is currently selling them for that price.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A friend has the compact 9mm. It shoots ok, no major flaws so far with about 500rds down the tube. They are ugly as sin though and a bit top heavy. Mags are hard to find and expensive. Personally I would do as previously suggested and save a little more to get the Pt111. Usually you can pick one up as a package with two mags a box and trigger lock for a reasonable price. I would avoid the kel tec unless you need to conceal in a pocket an not a holster. The kel tec has a crappy trigger, doesn't fit the hand well, mags are hard to find. Their biggest advantage is that they are very small, light and cheap.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My brother has the Hi-Point .45 and he and I love it. It's an ugly beast in comparison to the 1911 I left to him when I moved to NYC, but it always shoots fine. We got ours at around the same time, and mine jammed first!

The conversation he had with the gun store owner about it was priceless. My brother had done some research on it already and he went in to ask the owner about it.

Store Owner: It has to be one of the straightest-shooting, most reliable weapons I've ever shot.
My Brother: Great!
Store Owner: But, I wouldn't bet my life on it.
My Brother: Why? You just said it shoots straight and it hardly ever jams.
Store Owner: Well... [Nonsensical hemming and hawing] It's just... cheap.
My Brother: I know it's cheap. But, is it reliable?
Store Owner: I just said it was.
My Brother: Ok, I'll take it, then.
Store Owner: Well, it's your life.
My Brother: :confused:

The owner was pushing him towards a higher-priced Kimber or Springfield 1911, both of which are fine weapons. But, my brother's on a budget. He wants a 1911 of his own eventually, but for regular carry he wants something inexpensive but reliable. Hi-Point fit the bill. :thumb:

·
Just a rock & spear guy
1,333 Posts
Noodle around a bit on a few "real" firearms forums and get more viewpoints.

Everyone's got an opinion. My observation is; people who've made the mistake of buying hi-points tend to be a tad defensive.

You want the cheapest surgeon to operate on your heart ?

·
Banned
7,205 Posts
this is my highpoint and my tokarev. Both have served me perfectly as a gun can do.

Highpoint is finnicky sometimes but its worth the 150 i got it for. Highpoint carbines are top notch.

The only issues ive had with it are it occasionally wont load the next bullet after i **** the slide and shoot it 3 times ( easy fix just pull the slide again) and sometimes the magazine wants to fall out of the gun..(just push it back in securely)

It has a lifetime warranty and if your mags mess up you can get more under that warranty. The mags are not hard to find. i picked up 2 spare ones at the gunshow.

they are worth the money if you need a working gun.

for just 200 i got that tokarev and so far its the best thing since sliced bread. lol

Attachments

·
drive a stake thru Islam
1,005 Posts
While I personally think the high point is a great affordable gun, (I have 4 of them in various forms), it is not a great CCW it is big clunky and heavy. But they are great shooters at least mine are.
Everyone's got an opinion. My observation is; people who've made the mistake of buying hi-points tend to be a tad defensive.

It has been my observation that people who bad mouth Hi Point owners get offended easily when told the facts by such owners, like the fact that they are reliable and shoot great out of the box and cost 1/5 as much as your Kimber.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

I do want the cheapest surgeon to operate on my heart if he is just as reliable, consistant and capable to do the job as the more expensive options.

Price point has nothing to do with the ability of a weapon to do what you need it to do. I can get from point A to point B just as well in a Kia as I can in a Bentley.

The best bet is to be practical. If you cant afford to blow money on luxury, get something reliable that does what you need it to do within your means

AK's, Mosins, SKS's are considered "cheap". But they work and in many times will continue to work when much more expensive options buckle and fail.

I made the mistake of SELLING a high point carbine. It was a great gun.

·
Be Prepared
393 Posts
I Agree

I do want the cheapest surgeon to operate on my heart if he is just as reliable, consistant and capable to do the job as the more expensive options.

Price point has nothing to do with the ability of a weapon to do what you need it to do. I can get from point A to point B just as well in a Kia as I can in a Bentley.

The best bet is to be practical. If you cant afford to blow money on luxury, get something reliable that does what you need it to do within your means

AK's, Mosins, SKS's are considered "cheap". But they work and in many times will continue to work when much more expensive options buckle and fail.

I made the mistake of SELLING a high point carbine. It was a great gun.

I think most people dislike and distrust the HiPoint because of hearsay. I know I was one of them, until my dealer gave me one for $125.00. I tried like hell to tear it up, and never had a malfunction. Told all of my buddies about them and have help my dealer friend sell 15 of them.

My point is, don't knock it until you try it. Many a third world country has fallen to the cheap weapons like the SKS and Mosin. Just MHO.

·
Confused,but not Lost
1,088 Posts
I bought mine in 9mm and then about a week later got a carbine in 9mm also and I enjoy both of them and mags are interchangeable, found 5 mags at a gun show for $20. and scarfed them up. What I like about them is like what Silver Surfer said, If you have to use it and lose it it does not hurt as bad as losing my 1911.

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,107 Posts
OK, we need to stop this thread right here, right now..

Ya keep talkin about how good they are, someone's gonna jack the price right outta sight on them.

I bought mine at Fred Meyer in Anchorage a few years back when they first came out. It was like $119.00, they had a 20% off sale goin on, then it was employee bonus discount day so I had my wife buy it. I think I got less than $90 in it. Last I saw they were already double that price. Imagine that, a gun increasing in value?

So quit talkin good about them.. Someone make something up about how they say they're supposed to float but they don't or something like that.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts

Maybe...he/she could be the best.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a 40 cal. Hi-Point for about a year and loved it. Think i paid $140 brand new. Very accurate. Very ugly but worked great. 2 jams on the first clip and never another problem. Like an idiot i traded it off. Been looking to get another one.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Free lifetime warenty means very little when you pull the trigger and hear a click.

It means even less if you find out the factory gets a bulk rate discount from UPS.

Hi point is not a mfg, they are a distributer. They outsource all their mfg and can only do one type firearm at a time. If they are making carbines the pistols run short and go up in price. If they are running pistols the carbines get short and go up in price.

The internals are the same design as the old Davis/Jennings/Bryco pistols scaled up with a brick shaped slide added to control the straight blowback action. Plastic and pot metal.

The carbine they make is nice but I would only consider one of the pistols as a low cost disposable plinker. You can snag them in my area for about $99 NIB.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Just curious, but I hear this all the time about HP pistols being junk because they are plastic and pot metal.

The carbines however are great. They are also plastic and pot metal.

This just doesn't make sense. Same operating system, same material.

PJ
Same materials and operating system but not the same parts. They are scaled up to carbine size allowing for extra strength. And if your carbine breaks a striker/sear connection causing it to full auto you can sell it at a premium!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.