Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a video I found on youtube.com it seems to have a lot of Hi Point fans on there and one guy decided to do his on test. There are a lot of guys doing test on guns on youtube and some of them are really great to watch.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He put the gun in a cat litter box for a week then took out with no cleaning and shot it. This is kind of crazy but a test none the less lol.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Did he leave the gun loaded, slide locked back and wiggle it around every day? Didn't think so.

Hi Point = Ugly, overweight, inaccurate, **** poor balanced, low capacity, ghetto marketed hunk of scrap metal.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi Point = Ugly, overweight, inaccurate, **** poor balanced, low capacity, ghetto marketed hunk of scrap metal.

Let me guess, you never owned one or shot one? And if you have shot one, you shot only a couple rounds?

I have heard far, far, far more good things about Hi-Points than I have bad.

It isn't the best pistol, but it is far from being a "ghetto marketed hunk of scrap metal."

It is ugly though, it is overweight, and it is low capacity...balance is up to the shooter. They can be very accurate and reliable.

Good starter guns or guns four your truck/hiking/camping. I plan on getting a 9mm carbine.

·
6,686 Posts
PHTTT!! Tried one, thought about getting one a while back to leave home w/ the wife. After about 150rds down range, I had enough of it. I decided I wasn't going to trust her life to a piece of scrap metal so she got a Walther P99 instead. The Hi Point is a $139 pistol for a reason.

·
Registered
510 Posts
PHTTT!! Tried one, thought about getting one a while back to leave home w/ the wife. After about 150rds down range, I had enough of it. I decided I wasn't going to trust her life to a piece of scrap metal so she got a Walther P99 instead. The Hi Point is a $139 pistol for a reason.

Price doesn't always mean quality.

Tried the Hi-Point brand new? They have a break in period of about 200 rounds. Did you rent it? Probably gummed up.

They are $139 for a reason...they are really, really simple.

"Piece of scrap metal"

I love gun snobs.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was a starter gun for me and it was one I was glade to have when I needed. The only time I had it to jam was after 2000 rounds through it without cleaning and after looking at what was happening I kept hitting the mag release. I think the gun would have went a lot more rounds with no cleaning.

I did go out and buy a Glock G19 for my CCW every day carry. Its easy to clean and I like it feels a little better in my hand. The Hi Point right out of the box with an instructor (off duty cop) I was hitting center mass and head shots no problem. The cop even looked at me and said I didnt think it was going to do this good not bad for a gun costing 115 bucks.

I think if your on a budget and at that time I was its a good gun to have its better the a baseball bat and if you find the gang members that ran from my house that night ask them what I was pointing at them.

Im not one that thinks you have to spend 1000 bucks to get good guns.

·
6,686 Posts
Price doesn't always mean quality.

Tried the Hi-Point brand new? They have a break in period of about 200 rounds. Did you rent it? Probably gummed up.

They are $139 for a reason...they are really, really simple.

"Piece of scrap metal"

I love gun snobs.

No it belongs to a friend of mine, he cleans his guns after every time he shoots and this one had about 1500 rounds through it since new.

High Points are scrap metal, plain and simple.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Not a thing wrong with the Hi Point product line. Great value for the price and a 100% airtight warranty. Inexpensive materials used , inexpensive blowback action. But they go bang when needed. Some police agencies put the ugly little carbines in the trunks of their cars for a little added barrel length/velocity if needed. The darn things work.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Obviously you can't compare a $139 gun to a $500+ gun. Not everybody has the extra money to buy a gun that costs several $hundred (I know I don't). Do I buy an affordable gun or do I just not buy one period? I lurked on some AR15 forums and many of them say the SKS is a piece of crap and would never own one. Of course their guns cost more than $1,000 each so you can't really compare the two. It's pretty much the same thing.

That said, I've heard both good things and bad things about Hi-Points, but the one recommended the most is their 995 carbine.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really want to try out one of the Hi Point carbines but cant find one in any stores localy yet last time they had them the price was 199.00. I like that they offer a life time warrenty and I think on a budget if you cant find something else the Hi Point is a good start and better then nothing.

·
6,686 Posts
I stand corrected a bit. Other than the hi-point carbine, Hi Points PISTOLS are scrap metal...

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont think they are scrap metal. I have not heard anyone that has been shot by a 9mm handgun ask hey was that a Hi Point or some other brand. I do think they are a cheap handgun that anyone can own at a good price that will offer protection. I also think this wouldnt make a great CCW gun.

The gun feels heaver to me more so then my Glock but the on target hits are better. I pull my Glock to the left a little and the Hi Point is straight dead on. I think this has to do more with the trigger and the way it fits my hand then anything.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had a hi point 9mm pistol jammed every time you pulled the trigger got rid of it have the hi point 9mm carbine never has failed once would bet my life on the carbine not the pistol

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Had a couple of friends who had Hi-points. Never had any issues with them, and they are abused in the Florida swamps profusely. I may pick one up just for keeping in the car for the wife, she works in Downtown Dallas. She tried the Walther, she doesnt like it at all. Had a walther ppk .380 and it was crap.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey bearfoot 25 what cal. are you looking at in the Hi Point. They make a .380 same size as the 9mm frame I belive. I came close to buying the .40 or .45 before I went with the 9mm. I really like 9mm and so far I cant get myself away from that cal in handgun.

I would take my Hi Point and do a video test worse then the one in the video. This would be in the WVA clay, mud, shell and what ever else is in the hills. I would only do this test if I had a way of firing it without me or anyone else holding it.

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Here is a plan, save up the extra money it takes to buy a reliable fire arm and not buy something that's cheap. You get what you pay for, plain and simple. You save more money in the long run by buying quality over quantity.

Reactions: kahn
1 - 20 of 37 Posts