Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am Beth from South Carolina. I am a 43 y/o stay-at-home wife and mom of 2 sons. I have been interested in prepping for a while now, but am meeting a little resistance from my husband. While he has a certainty that the US economy and government will colapse in the future, he isn't interested in prepping.

I'm not sure if his attitude comes from the fact that we are in the SCA (Society for Creative Anacronism-a medieval re-creation group) and have both learned some skills from that time-period such as weaving, sewing, metalworking, pottery, archery and the like. While those are good skills to have, I know that we need to start storing foods, water, and other necessities. I feel as though I have some sort of instinct coming from within me somewhere that is urging me to start stockpiling.

So I am going to start. While he isn't encouraging me, he isn't telling me I can't (as if that would stop me..lol). So I would welcome any advice, encouragement, suggestions, or comments!

Thank you so much!

·
The Cat's Pajamas
407 Posts
Hi from NC. You and I have a lot in common. I stay home with three kids (two of them boys). I have a really difficult time with my husband. He thinks I'm crazy and would rather not spend the money and space for the food and water. Thankfully his parents and mine arenon board so I do get some support from them. We're all working on him. Meanwhile I'm doing what I can and have stuff stashed everywhere. Hate to be sneaky. I have that kind of nesting instinct that you mentioned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome! It's really great to be among like-minded people. I have been reading posts and threads and learning so much.

KittyKat, that's exactly what it is, a nesting instinct! The last time I felt this way (20 years ago), I made my husband put our unborn sons crib together even though he wasn't due for 4 more weeks. I went into labor the next day. Instincts this strong I don't ignore!

PSYOP Soldier, I have not been to a Ren Faire yet. I do want to go, if only to see how it's different from the SCA. I do go to Charlotte quite often. I love your city. It's got so many great places to go to and wonderfull restaurants to eat at. Let me know if you recommend any good ones. We were there Monday, and will probably go again in a week or two.

Thanks again everyone. I will try to make sure I use the search features, to try to avoid asking redundant questions, but I make no claim to perfection. I am sure I will make some newbie mistakes, but I'll try to keep them at a minimum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts