Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting my first rifle and I have some questions. I plan on buying the Winchester Wildcat .22 rimfire as seen here.http://wholesalesports.com/onlinestore/control/category/~category_id=11700/~pcategory=11699

Do any of you own this rifle or have shot it. I want to know how accurate it is and the quality of the overall rifle. I am going to be hunting rabbits and grouse with it and was wondering if I should get a scope or not and if so what magnification.

If I sight my scope in at 50 yards would I have to adjust it for a shot at 10 yards or would it just be a matter of putting my target in the crosshairs regardless of the distance.

Thanks for helping out a new guy,

Rob

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Welcome aboard first off...

If you have your heart set on that rifle then by all means buy it, I have one and love it. It is a very good shooting rifle.

But I also really love my Ruger 10/22 and there are so much more options for the Ruger.

But if you want the bolt action it is money well spent, as I am a big Winchester fan/collector...

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
They are not the best you can have but they are not the worst either, they do the job.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
im a utilitarian, so if it does its job reliably time and time again- its gold to me

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you mount a scope on the basic model the one without the heavey target barrel doesn't say in the specs? If you can I think I will just get the basic one and a scope then I have a choice.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Welcome! Do yourself a long term favor by learning to use the iron sights first. Basically if you are shooting closer than your sights/scope is set for, aim lower. How much can only be determined thru practice by you. And very wise of you to select a bolt action .22 rifle as your first! Now buy/download a book that will instruct you on the proper shooting positions.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,565 Posts
I hunted with a 10/22 for many years, but for a first gun I would recommend either a bolt gun Ruger 77/22, or a Marlin lever in 22lr. Particularly the 77/22 allows you to remove the scope when you want to or replace it with a peep if you like.

The only real reason is that the 10/22 stock was always too short for me. If it fits you great, the gun is first rate and aftermarket stock are cheap and easy to find.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
2nd on using iron sights first. Between 10 and 50 yards bullet drop difference will be minimal, less than an inch. Between 50 and 100 yards expect the bullet to drop more than 4 inches.

Average squirrel hunter can hit a squirrel at 30-40 yards with iron sights. With a scope 50-75 yards. I think quality scopes are the to go. I like Nikon buckmasters or Burris full field scopes, however many folks have been happy with affordable BSA and cabelas scoped. 3-9 magnification is good or 4X fixed.

For training look at Appleseed shooting events.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts