Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. My name is Sherrie. I hope y'all have patience with me. I am not computer smart at all, so I'm hoping I'm introducing myself correctly. In the welcome email I got it said something about an avidar or something like that. I don't know what that is. Maybe my son will know.

Anywho, about me and how I came to be interested in this group. I'm not quite sure. My oldest son, James has been a survivalist - seems like forever. I always thought he was a little strange! But, either I'm getting older or this world is getting stranger - maybe both and it came to me that a lot of the things I always assumed (mainly the government would take care of us in an emergency) just didn't seem right anymore. Things like Red Cross, FEMA and the national guard make us feel safe but I kind of figured that those things made me stupid because I was relying on them to much. Seems like I need to learn to rely on myself. Rick (my husband) and I talked and we decided that in a, I think y'all call it shtf situation, we're on our own so we'd better do something to prepare.

1st thing I did was start buying supplies like long lasting candles, hand cranked radio, MRE's and stocking up on staples like seeds, first aid things, water and filtration devices. Then my son sent me a youtube video of Kevin. That got me hooked. I soon learned I didn't know squat and would probably die in the first 3 minutes instead of the first 3 hours some of the videos talk about! I also learned I'd never have enough money to buy all I think we'd need so I'd better learn how to make things or use things multiple ways. So, that's what I'm doing here. Trying to learn and hoping to survive or at least help my children survive. We'll keep adding as we can and preparing best we can and maybe one day I'll be smart enough to help others who come along.

I don't' know exactly what I'm supposed to say in an introduction. I hope this was fine. I'll try real hard not be ask to many questions or break any rules. I'm so glad y'all are here. I've learned so much already just tiptoeing around. I hope to have my 3 or 5 (different amounts given in several places) posts in soon so I can really get to learnin'.

Oh, I am 51 and I reckon since y'all know my name is Sherrie you know I am female. I think that about covers why I am here. See ya.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh-oh, I'd better get myself out of deep water. I didn't mean my son was strange because he is a survivalist. I meant, since we weren't (survivalist) I didn't understand his fascination with guns and things that are of interest to survivalists. Quite the contrary. My son is extremely smart and has a better grip on his instincts than I'll probably ever have. He thinks it's funny that mom is trying to learn from him! Now ain't that a kicker!

·
ThumbinThunder
16 Posts
Welcome Sherrie from a fellow sandlapper. I'm about 85 miles north of you in Chesterfield...Lot of great info here and good people sharing it.... I'm a newbie to the site myself, but have been in a *Survivalist* mode for a while.....Enjoy the site.....TT

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Welcome from Dallas to our community. We understand what you are saying. Remember the people on this site may not always agree with each other but we can still work together. Look for good people who will help you through. find people in your area. Ask questions.

YOu mentioned the Avatar. That is simply you user name and some kind of picture or character you whish to have as the thing that ids you in the posts. It is not necessary to have a pic if you don't want one. The main thing is to ask questions and make your plan. It is good you have started to buy things and they all sound very good. Be sure to make a plan so you know where you are headed. take care and look forward to seeing your posts.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Hi Sherrie, welcome to the forum. Don't be worried about asking to many questions. It's the fastest way to find out what you want to know. If you want to research something before you ask there is a search tab at the top of the page.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Sherrie. I'm in Florida now, but I was born in Anderson and lived there for quite a few years. Got family over Columbia way also.

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
Welcome from N Georgia! As other folks have said. Do not be afraid to ask questions. It is part of the learning process.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow. Thanks so much for the HELLO. Everyone has been so nice, friendly and helpful. I'm planning on going to a gathering in Macon next month and I'm so excited. I can't wait to see all the great things I'll learn and wonderful people I'll meet. Gosh, I feel so at home. Thanks again everyone.

·
Banned
27,825 Posts
Welcome aboard Sherrie,

Don't worry over time you will learn a great deal and stock up. Everyone starts someplace. Some people stock up on items in their apartments and ad a little has they go, some do the same for their homes and cars, then some buy a place and turn it into a survival retreat where no one can find it. We have done the last with a survival retreat but as a family since most people can't afford it on their own.

You have the right idea work with what you have or be creative.

Wes

·
Registered
327 Posts
Howdy! Your intro was just fine, and don't worry, you're not alone when it comes to being tech savvy. ;)I'm still learning, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts