Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Country Girl
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I've been lurking around this forum for a couple of months so thought it about time that I registered and joined in:thumb:

I'm from Australia, my family and I made the break from the city rat race a couple of years ago and now live just outside a small country town with a few acres of our own. We are working towards being as self sufficient as possible, with chickens, sheep, cows, horses, some fruit trees and vegetable gardens.

If nothing else, growing our own food has made me realize that the food we buy in shops (despite what the end consumer may think about food prices) is way to cheap to sustain agriculture long term. In the event that I ever end up with more vegetables than my family can eat and we try to sell the excess...starting price will be $50 per kg! :D:

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Welcome Much to learn here. Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?

·
Country Girl
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys:)

Home in Oz, have pondered all those things and more;) I guess I am at the stage of researching/learning new skills (old fashioned ones that have got lost over time).

If the need arises, we will bug in not out, but on the 99.9% chance that is not suitable we do have a bug out location 3 hrs north. We wouldn't give up what we have here without a bl**dy good fight though:D: In the event of storm damage or similar to the house, I would hope that not all the inhabitable buildings on our property would be damaged. If they were, we would tent or hire/buy a caravan to live in here until repairs were finished.

LOL I certainly don't have answers for everything, but have thought out plans for a number of different scenarios...most just rely on the fact that we already live in our BOL:D:

As to the other questions, all positive or in progress:) We have very little in the way of 'wilderness' around us as we live in a rural area, so mostly farms, but if the chickens, sheep and cows are not enough food, there are always kangaroos to hunt and wild ducks on our dam. Wild growing edible plants would not be that easy to locate, so maintaining our own fruit and vegetable gardens is very important. I'm using only open polinated/heritage seeds so that I can save seeds each season...growing the plants is the most difficult thing for me, the animals are easy:) I am so grateful that we live in a temperate climate, so no snow in winter, which makes a huge difference to so many things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts