Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gene discovery may help hunt for blindness cure

2 hours, 12 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - Scientists have discovered a gene mutation linked to the most common cause of blindness in the developed world, holding out the prospect of better treatments and perhaps eventually a cure.

British scientists said on Tuesday they had found six variants within the gene called Serping1 that were associated with age-related macular degeneration (AMD).

"Our findings add to the growing understanding of the genetics of age-related macular degeneration, which should ultimately lead to novel treatments for this common and devastating disease," Sarah Ennis and Andrew Lotery of the University of Southampton reported in the Lancet journal.

AMD -- which involves damage to the delicate cells of the macula, a region at the center of the retina -- is increasingly common as people get older.

Around 90 percent of patients diagnosed with AMD have the so-called dry version, for which no treatment is currently available.

The rest have wet AMD, which occurs when tiny new blood vessels grow between the retina and the back of the eye. This form of the disease can be treated with modern drugs.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Insulting people because they don't think like you is to act like a third grader. Grow up (that's advice, not an insult.) Good people with difference experiences and circumstances can reach reasonable conclusions different that yours, or anyone else. I have close and dear friend who I know is going to vote exactly the opposite of me. So what? It does not mean a damn thing, he is still a great person and a dear friend. Even Agustus Caesar did not hold a man's politics against him and promoted and worked with those opposed to him -- and he could have as easily had them killed. Getting along with people who agree with you is easy. Getting along with people who don't is called being an adult, something three or four people here need to know.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Insulting people because they don't think like you is to act like a third grader. Grow up (that's advice, not an insult.) Good people with difference experiences and circumstances can reach reasonable conclusions different that yours, or anyone else. I have close and dear friend who I know is going to vote exactly the opposite of me. So what? It does not mean a damn thing, he is still a great person and a dear friend. Even Agustus Caesar did not hold a man's politics against him and promoted and worked with those opposed to him -- and he could have as easily had them killed. Getting along with people who agree with you is easy. Getting along with people who don't is called being an adult, something three or four people here need to know.
No, you're actually wrong here.. You have an opinion that one of the lesser of two evils is good.. They are both bad.

Your friend is going to vote exactly opposite of you? meaning if you will vote republican, he will vote democrat or vice versa?

That's exactly my point. That is why my blindness pun is not opinion, but is fact. Anyone who DOESN'T think the two party system is one of the largest political problems of this country is blind. That isn't opinion.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Razor works in the media. It is his job to prop up the charade. Whomever is not backed by big money sponsors is an irrelevant GADFLY. Democrats or Republicans are the only ones to be taken seriously because, ....um.... we said so.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Razor works in the media. It is his job to prop up the charade. Whomever is not backed by big money sponsors is an irrelevant GADFLY. Democrats or Republicans are the only ones to be taken seriously because, ....um.... we said so.
Main stream media = public enemy number one..

Without the media and the slimey part they play in complacency with the corrupt government, the American people wouldn't be so biased.. Instead, the media tells people what to think and corrals the majority into the fake right and left paradigm of the two party system.

I think the book '1984' should be required reading for every American. because the the way our system works now, is exactly how George Orwell said it did..

If the media said 2+2=5 often enough, I'll bet the majority of Americans would start believing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts