Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,621 Posts
I've looked at these repeatedly. I'm not a big single action fan, but I'm sure these are fun plinkers. I'm curious how they hold up after many thousand rounds. I know the Ruger single six is a tank.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked at these repeatedly. I'm not a big single action fan, but I'm sure these are fun plinkers. I'm curious how they hold up after many thousand rounds. I know the Ruger single six is a tank.
I considered the Ruger but the RR has interchangable cylinders so you get basically 2 guns for the price of one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I purchased a Heritage Arms Rough Rider, probably 10 or 15 years ago. They were very inexpensive then. I think I paid a little over $100 for it. I haven’t shot it a whole lot. I just didn’t own anything single action and I thought why not? I’ve shot some tin cans with it and a few targets. It’s fun. I don’t know how well it would hold up with a lot of use.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have looked at the HRR several times but could never bring myself to buying one of them. I have two Ruger single six 22/22 mag and there is no comparison in quality between the two. The HRR just looked to cheap to me. The price is good on them but I will spend the three times as much and get the Ruger every time. I also have two Ruger SS in 32 mag. Those are my favorite trail guns. I paid a lot for them but they were worth every penny I spent for them.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have looked at the HRR several times but could never bring myself to buying one of them. I have two Ruger single six 22/22 mag and there is no comparison in quality between the two. The HRR just looked to cheap to me. The price is good on them but I will spend the three times as much and get the Ruger every time. I also have two Ruger SS in 32 mag. Those are my favorite trail guns. I paid a lot for them but they were worth every penny I spent for them.
I can respect that. All of my HRR's are warrantied refurbs purchased at a drastically reduced price. If these were 44 magnums I would prolly choose the rugers but in .22 I suspect they will do just fine.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
I've shot the Ruger and my wife has her now deceased grandfather's HRR I do have to agree with you on the quality although the HRR does make a nice backyard plinker and pest problem solver. If that's what a guy is looking for it's not a bad option at all.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I can respect that. All of my HRR's are warrantied refurbs purchased at a drastically reduced price. If these were 44 magnums I would prolly choose the rugers but in .22 I suspect they will do just fine.
A deal is a deal. I'm glad you found one.

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ and XONOX

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I've shot the Ruger and my wife has her now deceased grandfather's HRR I do have to agree with you on the quality although the HRR does make a nice backyard plinker and pest problem solver. If that's what a guy is looking for it's not a bad option at all.
I admit I am kinda particular when it comes to quality. I learned the hard way when I started out mainly because I was poor. So I bought a couple of cheap RG and some other off brand single action 22s to start with and then later got a Ruger single six with both cylinders. What a difference in grouping and function. I did the same thing buying cheap scopes and then sitting on a deer stand wondering if my scope was still sighted in. Now I just bite the bullet and buy the better grade scopes and don't have to worry about scope problems.

Cheap stuff is too expensive to own. Or put another way, buy cheap, buy twice.

I'm sure the OPs HRR will give him decent service.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
I admit I am kinda particular when it comes to quality. I learned the hard way when I started out mainly because I was poor. So I bought a couple of cheap RG and some other off brand single action 22s to start with and then later got a Ruger single six with both cylinders. What a difference in grouping and function. I did the same thing buying cheap scopes and then sitting on a deer stand wondering if my scope was still sighted in. Now I just bite the bullet and buy the better grade scopes and don't have to worry about scope problems.

Oh I understand your point and agree and my lawn tools reflect this. I'm just saying that there is nothing wrong with the gun he's bought. I think of them as the Hi-Point of the .22 world. Don't cost much and pretty much anyone can afford one and they do their job. I guess I just have to comment when I see somebody say to save up another $300 for a handgun when they are buying one that will fit most people's needs.

I've bought cars for less than some of my handguns, and I have a couple that were less than a weeks groceries. Functional and put the bullet where I wanted works for me for some of them.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The HRR"s are basically to play with and to loan in a SHTF scenario if the neighbors dont have anything.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The HRR"s are basically to play with and to loan in a SHTF scenario if the neighbors dont have anything.
Enjoy your gun. I have looked at them before and just last week handled a Barkeep model. I really liked it except it seemed all grip on such a tiny gun. I know why some switch to the Birdshead grip on that gun. If it had a smaller grip I may have been really tempted to get one. And the quality of the finish looked better than the regular guns.

These guns are now made by Taurus and have been for a few years. And next Taurus under the Diamondback name is is bringing out a gun called the Sidekick that is a copy of the old High Standard Double Nine in 22/22 mag with a cast Zinc frame for a cheaper price. Should be interesting.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
Diamondback name is is bringing out a gun called the Sidekick that is a copy of the old High Standard Double Nine in 22/22 mag with a cast Zinc frame for a cheaper price. Should be interesting.

That is a gun that I would be very interested in as a backyard plinker/chipmonk killer. My dad was given one of the originals and I told him if he sold it to let me know, like all of his other guns he sold it very cheap and never even called to tell me it was for sale. Because my income is and has been half of his he thinks that we are dirt poor and can't afford a gun when he sells one. He doesn't realize how nice it is that our bills are not even 1/5 of his. We don't spend money that we don't have.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Enjoy your gun. I have looked at them before and just last week handled a Barkeep model. I really liked it except it seemed all grip on such a tiny gun. I know why some switch to the Birdshead grip on that gun. If it had a smaller grip I may have been really tempted to get one. And the quality of the finish looked better than the regular guns.

These guns are now made by Taurus and have been for a few years. And next Taurus under the Diamondback name is is bringing out a gun called the Sidekick that is a copy of the old High Standard Double Nine in 22/22 mag with a cast Zinc frame for a cheaper price. Should be interesting.

I have a birdshead 3 incher with pink MP grip. Its my favorite.

My video of it

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
That is a gun that I would be very interested in as a backyard plinker/chipmonk killer. My dad was given one of the originals and I told him if he sold it to let me know, like all of his other guns he sold it very cheap and never even called to tell me it was for sale. Because my income is and has been half of his he thinks that we are dirt poor and can't afford a gun when he sells one. He doesn't realize how nice it is that our bills are not even 1/5 of his. We don't spend money that we don't have.
Good for you. Its stupid to live beyond your means. I am retired and on disability now but long ago paid off my house and cars and only have taxes and utilities and watch what I spend. I have managed to put several thousand dollars in the check book and have a multi thousand dollar "gun fund" just by watching what I spend.

You did well lowering your cost of living. Thats just as good if not better than a pay increase because a pay increase is taxed. Being frugal isn't.

I have a birdshead 3 incher with pink MP grip. Its my favorite.

My video of it
I like it. You can buy a plug on Ebay that lets you get rid of the goofy safety and improve the looks. The one thing I really liked about the Barkeep was no ejector rod. It made the gun look even smaller and better for pocket carry.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I added this to the above post.

You can buy a plug on Ebay that lets you get rid of the goofy safety and improve the looks. The one thing I really liked about the Barkeep was no ejector rod. It made the gun look even smaller and better for pocket carry.

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ and XONOX
1 - 20 of 23 Posts