Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again - things are disappearing like in the first Coronavirus round. Went to the local dollar general, toilet paper and spray cleaners were getting picked over.

Canned goods still plenty in stock.

Paper towels still plenty in stock.

Last week the side wall was half full of toilet paper. An employee said people were buying almost none of it. Went today, and half of their stock was gone. So wen went from full shelves, to half gone in a week. Previous weeks the shelves were full also.

Some of you may wonder why I reference Dollar General a lot. That is because they have moved into the rural areas. Driving a few miles beats driving 20 miles to the local walmart of full sized grocery store.

·
Registered
34,329 Posts
Driving 20 miles (or more for some of us) and filling the suburban or truck bed beats lots of little trips to the nearly as far dollar general where things cost more.

I'm about to can breakfast sausages, got the smoker all ready, but decided to wait till morning. So tomorrow morning I'm smoking 60lbs of pork, which I'll then can in pint jars for pulled pork anytime I want.

Same principle.

"Preppers" should almost never have to "run down to the store"

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,188 Posts
The Centex regional director of DG at one time said their goal is to have a store every 10 miles.

·
Forum Administrator
16,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Driving 20 miles (or more for some of us) and filling the suburban or truck bed beats lots of little trips to the nearly as far dollar general where things cost more.
My wife and I make a semi-weekly trip to Brookshire Brothers - a chain grocery stores in Texas and Louisiana - and stock up on what we need. Between the trips to the grocery store we use Dollar General for odds and ends.

·
Squared away like a donut
445 Posts
If you see a pile of dirt in a field somewhere, don’t disturb it; a new Dollar General will hatch out of it in a few days. They are spreading faster than the coronavirus.

All joking aside, like Kev, I find them convenient when I just need a couple items.

·
Registered
34,329 Posts
My wife and I make a semi-weekly trip to Brookshire Brothers - a chain grocery stores in Texas and Louisiana - and stock up on what we need. Between the trips to the grocery store we use Dollar General for odds and ends.
I've been to the grocery store 3x since Feb.

So far I've used a few things from trip #1, and some fruit I picked up yesterday.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The time to top off your preps was last week

I hope you all did this
The only thing stopping me from buying more is money :) On the other hand, I have had some success with a couple of purchases I would not otherwise have been able to afford, through bartering a skill (medicine for a modem) and exchanging with a dollar adjustment, some unwanted shed inhabitants (bicycle, sports gear, furniture).

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Starting to see some out of stock items around here, and definitely noticing a difference from a few weeks ago.

Over all I'm able to fill about 2/3rds of what I'm trying to get. So not too bad, yet.

Now ammo, that's more rare than hens teeth.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Local stores have very limited reloading supplies and ammo. Grocery stores have holes on the shelves. Feed store was out of rolled corn and dry COB. the feed store has a 20 bag limit. The sporting goods store has a limit of two rifle purchases per day, 4 boxes of ammo per day, one pound of powder, one sleeve of primers. Non lead projectiles are mostly gone. Powder is down to a couple of AA containers, none of the popular brands.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Dollar General can be convenient, if you can find what you're looking for in all the mess. The ones down here tend to be VERY disorganized. I'm talking pallets of merchandise everywhere waiting to be unloaded, product thrown on the shelves at random, just a complete cluster.

The first week or two of June I was noticing that most stores around here were getting paper products and other goods back to what seemed like a pre-COVID level. However, tonight I went into the local Publix and their stock of paper goods had gone from almost a full aisle to about 4 big packs of paper towels and no toilet paper, just over the past week or so. Thankfully I'm still stocked up on that too.

I've also noticed that with canned goods a lot of the stock just never came back to anywhere near full capacity after the initial panic. One thing I've seen Publix and 2 or 3 other local grocery stores doing is stacking canned goods only 1 or 2 deep and spreading them out across the shelf instead of going for depth. So it "looks" like there's fully-stocked shelves, but it's only 1 or maybe 2 cans deep instead of 4 or 5. So it's nowhere near the same amount as pre-COVID. My concern headed into this wave is that I don't think the supply line ever fully recovered from the first time, so I'd expect to see much barer shelves this time around which will mean much more desperate people than last time.

As for ammo, forget about it. There was a huge wave of gun and ammo sales at the beginning of the lockdowns and what was left got bought up during the rioting a few weeks ago. I went into Academy Sports last week and was able to find a few boxes of 5.56 steel case for plinking (3 box limit, and there were only about 8 boxes left). All of the handgun ammo was gone except for some .45 "shotshell' rounds. All of the rifle ammo was gone except for a few boxes in hunting calibers and the 5.56 that I found. There was still a decent amount of shotgun ammo, but I think it was only birdshot. All the heavier loads appeared to be gone. As for guns...those were all gone too. The only handguns left were a few 22 revolvers and a pocket 380 and the only rifles left were a few break action guns and a couple of 22s. All semi-auto rifles were gone, all shotguns of any kind were gone, and all handguns were pretty much gone. I had never seen the shelves that bare, not even during the multiple Obama scares.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The Dollar General I used to shop at when up in Concho, was extremely well-stocked and well-organised and well run and very clean. I liked it a lot. I hope they flourish.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Toilet paper is thin down to just the store-brand. But was happy to find peroxide oh, alcohol small containers of bleach wipes, and cleaning supplies. Dishwasher detergent has been completely gone for a week from one chain.

·
NRA Life 1971
8,290 Posts
Went for supplies today. Made two stops. Stock was good on most things except meat.
Don't know what people do who buy meat in those places.

·
Who Dares Wins
331 Posts
In our neck of the woods disinfectant products such as soap, Clorox, wipes, never did come back into stock for home delivery services like Giant Foods, Wal Mart, etc. They continued to be out of stock or like on Amazon outrageously inflated on prices. I feel it’s best to restock what you can now adding extra just in case on items that won’t go bad.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,188 Posts
The cleanliness and organization of the stores is highly dependent on the store manager. The two stores closest to me are complete opposites. One is clean and orderly. The other is the definition of shambles.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts