Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here are some pics of my pack and whats inside. Let me know if their is something i could do different that would be better or something im possibly missing. Thanks for looking.

Here is the pack I use. Its nothin fancy, its an all weather Nex Pak.

This is all of my basic gear i need. I got everything I need for the most part. All I lack is a sleep system which im working on getting next.

Here is my first aid kit.

Here are my bushcrafting knives, all of them are Moras except for the leatherman wave and a Martinni knive.

Here is my fishing kit, i plan on adding to it soon. Also in the pics is my folding saw and 2000 grit sandpaper for knife sharpening.

Here is my fire kit and starters.

·
Just a tad bit insane
539 Posts
my friend I want to thank you, I never though of ramen and instant oatmeal for bug out purposes.... plus love the knife collection. Do recommend a few bladders and water filters the canteen may not cut it. Also maybe a bit for cordage. The fishing line might want to wrap it around something that line hurts like a bitch when it cuts into your hand. plus got a better grip. A few pairs of clothes (rarely have too many socks.) rain gear might also help.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Not every kit is perfict. But i like how you adapted your pack with extra little packs. Like the mag pouch and such. Good going you took what you had and impirvised and addapted. A few things i didnt see is a chopping or cutting tool. Like a machete or axe or even a saw. Also you can use your fishing line for traps. Also some bank line or trout line would be good to pack for that. Also somthing alot of people forget is spices. A good spice is cyenne pepper.(spelling sorry). Its a antaseptic and it will also help stop bleeding. Same with cinnamon. Anouther is garlic good anyibiotic. Or aregano its good for sore throats and fever blisters. Also honey natural honey not pasturized honey. Theres a bunch of uses for honey. Id take the time and look up some spices and see their benefits and add a few to your kit. But good luck like i said no.kit is perfict. Always room for improvements and add ons but you have a good start and thanks for sharring.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. As far as rain gear goes I have two ponchos right now. Im working on getting a rain suit to add. For my extra clothes and socks im waiting on some more pouches so i can take all the gear and put them in the pouches so i can add my clothes to the inside of the pack. The fishing line in the pic is in their temp. im going to get some spider wire instead and i got a plan for a fishing kit the will eliminate the line getting tangled and so on. I just ordered my water filter and 2 2 quart bladders to add to the pack. The ramen noodle and oatmeal idea came from a good friend of mine over at Red Dirt Survival. Those two items have long shelf life as long as they are stored properly. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this is my BOB if i need to BO. I use it now for when i go out hiking, camping, or just going to do some bushcrafting. I try to get out as often as possible to practice my skills.

·
Just a tad bit insane
539 Posts
Thanks. As far as rain gear goes I have two ponchos right now. Im working on getting a rain suit to add. For my extra clothes and socks im waiting on some more pouches so i can take all the gear and put them in the pouches so i can add my clothes to the inside of the pack. The fishing line in the pic is in their temp. im going to get some spider wire instead and i got a plan for a fishing kit the will eliminate the line getting tangled and so on. I just ordered my water filter and 2 2 quart bladders to add to the pack. The ramen noodle and oatmeal idea came from a good friend of mine over at Red Dirt Survival. Those two items have long shelf life as long as they are stored properly. Thanks for the advice!
Very nice another though is whats your backup source for cooking. For instance I have a jetboil if all else with a extra fuel canister.

·
Born to prep
3,538 Posts
Lets get rid of a few thing first.

All of the food ditch it, it the wrong kind.

Loose the metal FAK box it just adds weight.

What are in the 6 little bottles, on second thought it does not matter take them out.

You do not need the big bottle of alcohol.

Why would you carry a stick around if you need a bow drill make one in the woods.

You need to add.

green tip strike anywhere matches in a water proof case.

Cotton balls soaked in melted Vaseline.

Tea candles.

A sheet of plastic.

Flashlight

Food that does not have to be cooked.

Water purification tablets.

Gallon sized zip locked bags for water.

A BOB only need to have supplies for three days. If your BOL is over three days away then you need to place resupply points along your route. You should only have food in your BOB that does not need to be cooked to eat. Protein and calories from fat and carbohydrates are more important then vitamins and minerals . The food should be able to be eaten on the move.

Your FAK should have alcohol prep pads, hand sanitizer, triple antibiotic ointment, super glue, black electrical tape, adhesive bandages in various sizes, 4x4 pads, tweezers, magnifying glass, a mirror and pain control. All of this will fit in a 4.5”X5” bag, I use a little red Coleman first aid pouch.

The only times you will need a fire when bugging out is if you get wet and need to dry your clothing, it gets cold and you are at risk of becoming hypothermic or you need to boil water. If you need fire for heat a number of small fires in a ring around you will do a better job keeping you warm then one large fire. If you need to boil water a small star fire will be harder for others to see and will make best use of fire wood. For fire starting you need 3 ways to light a fire. The 3 that I chose are flint and steel, butane lighter and green tip strike anywhere matches in a water proof case. Soak cotton balls in melted Vaseline then pack them in a water proof match case.

You need three sources of light. I use a windup flashlight, light sticks and tea candles. If you use proper light discipline you will use very little artificial light but there will be times when you will need some light when it is dark. All of your camps should be dark cold camps.

Knives, you will need at least a high quality folding knife as long as the law will allow. A sheaf knife could also be handy but is not necessary if your folder is large enough. You should also have a sharpening stone in your kit.

Shelter, I use two clear rectangle vinyl tablecloth covers, one to go over me and one for under me. I have a Ascotherm IMO 86 MK 4 thermal protective bag, it is a large red reinforced Mylar bag with arms and a hood. I also have a polar fleece to layer cammo blanket to wrap up in inside the bag so I am touching the cold Mylar. The bag and blanket weighs three pounds.

My bag is a get me home bag not a bug out bag since I do not plan on bugging out so I have to back more then three days worth of food an water in it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, i appreciate the advice. I will remove the food once i get some MREs ordered. I will remove the FAK tin once i get my pouches in. I wont get rid of the bow drill because it is a pain in the a** to get one "mated". It dont add any weight really. maybe 1/2 lb. I do have a Mag light i just bought with spare batteries im going to add to the pack. I also have cotton balls, tea light candles that have 4-6 hour burn time. For my shelter i have 2 tarps, and 2 35 gallon trash can liners, plus i have a US military issue wool blanket to keep me warm. I do have water purification tablets in the side pocket on my canteen.

·
Just a tad bit insane
539 Posts
has anyone actually ate those things that they are recommending to be more nutritious? Unless you want to feel more like your soul died after your third day of not cooking those then I would keep the ramen it weighs less and can put up better than a mre? they do cook in their pouches at times. As for a med kit? the metal box is a little much but I know a lot of people that carry that much alcohol. the little bottles are curious may I ask what they are. Just a few more pennies to the pot my opinion may be.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The little bottles are personal hygene things like deoderant, shampoo and conditioner etc. I was thinking the noodles would weigh less than the MREs but wasnt sure. As far as extra water goes I carry to canteens filled with purified water. That is enough for me to consume til i get to where im going plus their is many sources around my neck of the woods. Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The oatmeal is by far the better of the two light food items that need cooking. Unless Ramen is a comfort food for you I'd drop it. Not because it needs cooking but because it has a very low nutritional value, and be sure to use oatmeal that has fruit in it, good sorce of some vitC.

I definitely agree you need some MRE type food as well, but keeping extra food that requires cooking isnt a bad thing as long as the extra weight isn't cumbersome. I'd rather have extra food and water that a dozen knives and that bow drill, if it comes to making fire that way you are going to have bigger worries than what type of food you packed.

2cents

·
Forum Administrator
16,729 Posts
Ditch 2 of the ramen packets and get some protein bars / breakfast bars.

·
Sua Sponte
976 Posts
This is all of my basic gear i need. I got everything I need for the most part. All I lack is a sleep system which im working on getting next.

I think below you mentioned you had a few poncho's to add to this. Which if you do, should do pretty good for shelter/sleep. I'd add poncho liner myself, but then that is one item I just can't do without.

Add some 550 cord to support your poncho's and you should be good for anything short of winter. Which usually has a different packing list anyhow.

Now, others have been critical of the food choice. I'm sort of 'meh' about it.

When I was a sniper I carried Ramon noodles. No weight to speak off, and nice filler. I also liked the fact that (I can hear the shudders) that I didn't need to cook them. They made nice patrol food. Quick stop, chomp chomp, and on you go. Good for in the hide, no smell to them if you just eat the noodles raw.

If you want to focus on minimal you probably want to skip the MRE. Instead just order the components, couple of main meals maybe some crackers and the MRE peanut butter. The actual MREs usually have stuff in them that people don't need, they are sort of a general use item. I'd suggest just ordering what you want.

Personally I would probably lose the cooking gear.

I'd add a lighter of some kind. Strike anywhere - except where I am when I need them - matches are great and all, but a small lighter just works. It aint as cool, but it works. If you do it right you never need to light a fire anyhow.

I'd add some socks and a T-shirt in ziplock bags. But I see them as multi-use items (if clean).

I would probably consider adding a few of the emergency survival items, blanket and wet weather type. They are one use for the most part. But they are small and are of little weight. And if you figure a three day trip, then that covers a third of the time you will be out till you get to your BOL.

You might find that a small LED flashlight might be helpful as well.

Of course, for all I know your BOL could be a two days or less away.

Here is my first aid kit.
I've never been a big fan of the first aid kit stuff. I've got years of time in the bush, and never carried more than a bandage. That includes long term patrols without a medic available.

You got to ask yourself 'do I NEED this'. If it is a serious wound, you might have been better off with less weight and avoided the injury - because if it is TEOTWAWKI and serious and you are buggin: you be dead either way.

Go minimalist and look for multi use items. Minimal items for avoiding infection, a bandage that is a T-shirt, that sort of thing.

Now, granted, I assume here that you are bugging out to someplace. As apposed to rucksack survival type deal. So a three day trip to a retreat/BOL that is stocked with what you need.

Here are my bushcrafting knives, all of them are Moras except for the leatherman wave and a Martinni knive.
Why? I think I counted like eight knives. What am I missing here? I'd go with the multi-tool and leave the rest. That is some serious weight.

[/QUOTE]
Here is my fishing kit, i plan on adding to it soon. Also in the pics is my folding saw and 2000 grit sandpaper for knife sharpening.
[/QUOTE]

Why the fishing kit? If you are just bugging out, pack some food (you can depend on it) and then move. Lose the weight and keep the time you would blow playing camping trip and move.

Why sharpen the knives? If you are looking at a few days of fast movement, just start with them sharp and you should be fine.

The saw is iffy for me. I'd probably go with a heavy knife, but the saw (if you went with multi-tool only) could have real use. Not that I see the need for a fire anyhow.

When moving: Ounces add up to pounds, pounds add up to pain.

I look at these things in three formats:

Bugout TEOTWAWKI: world is ending and you are heading to your retreat/BOL. In which case it is all about moving and getting there. All of your gear you should need should be at the BOL/retreat. So go minimalist and concentrate on moving fast. Cause most of us aren't in nearly as good a shape as we would like to think we are

Bugout FEMA: Just a pack that, if something happens local, you grab and go. Not the world ending, not TEOTWAWKI, just bad stuff local. In which case your bugout bag should have gear and such just in case it takes a day or two to get to the hotel. It should contain various comfort items for when you get to the hotel (extra clothing). It should contain legal documents and other necessary items for restarting your life if need be. Think Katrina, a twelve hour drive that should take three, and an unplanned week long hotel stay - all with the option that you may get stuck someplace for a day or two prior to making it to the hotel.

Rucksack survivalist: Your plan for TEOTWAWKI is to camp out in the woods playing mountain man. No support, all 'skills'. In which case, I got nothing for you. Cause no suggestion you can pack in a ruck will help you.

My suggestions above are based on the first description. If you fall into the second group then you might consider some of the other comfort/legal items. If you are in the third group...Not only will you die, but you will embarrass yourself doing it with that list.

Kind of interesting to see no gun. Or for that matter, no shotgun & 'long rifle' & AK & four different pistols & five thousand rounds of ammo & etc etc

YMMV,
Chad

·
Just a tad bit insane
539 Posts
Shampoo... I myself don't see the need in a emergency three day move, Ive been on ops that lasted few weeks or longer and besides the baby wipe here and there I didn't bother. Deodorant is valuable though. Nothing worse then forgetting it. Again with the MREs don't forget water. Very important water is...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why the hate for MREs? I know they aren't a gourmet meal by far but I used to eat them all the time in the ARMY. Some meals better than others of course, and then you have your personal preferences, but I could eat happily on MREs for a year as long as they were the ones that I liked. Rangers go on as little as a single MRE a day so one MRE can sustain you fairly well even on a high work load that that of Ranger school.

While calories and carbs are important, and Ramen noodles certainly cover that, MREs are more designed to be everything your body needs. Remember that protein is used to repair the damage to your muscles during the day. When we use our muscles, we're in fact doing tiny amounts of damage to them, when we sleep the protein in our bodies repairs our muscles so we can become stronger, and keep using them. Without enough protein your muscles will constantly deteriorate which is very bad for a survival situation.

For those who have never tried a MRE, and just are going off of popular opinion, just try one. Find a MRE with an entree that sounds like something you like, and go for it. If you don't like it then try Mountain House, unlike military vendors they actually have to make the product enjoyable to the consumer. I love Ramen noodles, they are a hot enjoyable meal with minimum effort, time, and clean up, but they aren't enough. At least not in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I would keep the ramen but add some of the tuna pouches(6.5oz each) use the noodles add the tuna and only season with the packet from the ramen. great meal and a lot cheaper than MRE's. Have also seen some pouches of roast beef and chicken in the stores recently. As far as the water issue with Ramen I usually carry a small thermos and with less than a 1/2 cup of water I can cook the noodles in it very easily. Sometimes you have to think outside conventional thought. If you have MRE's great, but to have to wait to buy them before you build a bag it plain irresponsible. Also MRE's are one of those hit and miss items some are good some are pretty nasty, Until you can find out which ones you favor it is better to have something you will eat rather than something you will not.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts