Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reminants of Ike made its way past Cincinnati and has left almost a million people without power. Most grocery stores and gas stations are closed. Most of the power companys repair people went south to help with Ike's land fall and have not returned yet. It's estimated we will be without power for a week.

Ironically last friday I got my stove for my BOB and started to buy small amounts of food for emergency use. Sunday evening my girlfriend and I enjoyed a lovley rice and BBQ spam dinner.

It's funny to see that within the last 2 weeks I started buying things for an emergency situation.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
It's a good feeling being prepared, isn't it? I haven't had to rely on preps yet, but it sure gives a person a warm fuzzy feeling to know it's there.

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a good feeling being prepared, isn't it? I haven't had to rely on preps yet, but it sure gives a person a warm fuzzy feeling to know it's there.
Well, it opens your eyes that something could happen at any time. We didn't even get rain. Ike passed just north of us. We just got 70 mph winds and sun shine.

It was a good feeling.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Greater Cleveland has about 300,000 without power. Ours went out at 3:30am but came back on about 6:30am. I was just about to get the generator out when it came back on. Oh well, at $4 a gallon, I'll just keep my gasoline in storage......

·
Registered
62 Posts
Name I am just north of you about and hrs. drive and we lost power around 2pm and it is still off at home. My wife asked if we should go and get some more propane canisters and another lantern last night, I said sure thing honey. The local wally world was open and everyone was buying up the batteries operated lights and batteries to go with them. What I noticed was nobody bothered the propane stuff at all. I was glad I had most my stash to fall back on.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Well Name Guess you'll be buying a little extra to "put back".
Spam and rice , the great survivalist meal.
Last winter at our American Legion here , we had our first "spam cook off" and yours truly won. I was with my "soon to be famous, Spam casserole". This year I'm going to make a "Hawaiian Pizza" with Spam and pineapple.

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Name I am just north of you about and hrs. drive and we lost power around 2pm and it is still off at home. My wife asked if we should go and get some more propane canisters and another lantern last night, I said sure thing honey. The local wally world was open and everyone was buying up the batteries operated lights and batteries to go with them. What I noticed was nobody bothered the propane stuff at all. I was glad I had most my stash to fall back on.
I just stocked up on batteries at Traders World sunday morning.

There was plenty of crap laying around to burn for dinner.

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last winter at our American Legion here , we had our first "spam cook off" and yours truly won. I was with my "soon to be famous, Spam casserole". This year I'm going to make a "Hawaiian Pizza" with Spam and pineapple.
Oh yeah.

Yeah, I just started getting my emergency food together and it's about half way gone already. Irony at it's best.

·
Registered
871 Posts
i just bougt a case of potted meat and treat it's just a cheaper version of spam $1 a can so i stocked up on it. never know when you'll need it.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
in rural oklahoma, known as gods country,we have long been adjusted to weather related outages, winter of 2001. severe damage to power grid, no electric for two weeks. no red cross to help us. we helped ourselves. i feel for the children caught in ike. they dont have a choice! there parents on the other hand should know better than to stay. you can always return,as for the supplies to get by. always have a stockpile.

·
Dances with Salmon
290 Posts
Do yourself a favor and mix in some beans.
Rice is an incomplete protein, and so are beans. Mix them together and you get all your amino acids. Add the spam for fat and you can live forever.
Might need a little hot sauce though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts