Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you’re a major devotee of investing energy in the wild, you most likely know a tiny bit about distinctive survival methods. That is to say, it’s generally a smart thought to take in two or three tips and traps when you’re hanging out in the components with wild creatures.

So here are five traps that will serve you well on the off chance that you ever require sustenance, or on the off chance that you have to shield yourself from predators. These creative contraptions aren’t precisely conventional, yet they’re extraordinarily helpful.

1. This trap can be utilized to capture littler creatures.

WATCH FULL VIDEO HERE: DIY TRAPS

·
Registered
633 Posts
Some old standbys. Some things are over thought and over done though. A well placed snare with a tangle stick will catch and dispatch an animal quickly. I trapped for a few years and while there is a chance of another animal taking your catch, I never had it happen. Carrying a few snares in your pack for short term survival is a good idea and some of the methods in the video could be done with cable snares more effectively than with string. For long term survival, foot hold and/or body grip traps make more sense as snares are often ruined in one use, which is fine if you are home and have extra cable, cutters and ferrules (as you can reuse he hardware components), but not so great in a wilderness situation.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,760 Posts
Another option is a good old fashioned large size mouse trap. Not quite the same as making it in nature but easy to take along.

It's recommended to drill a small hole in it and tie/stake it to something.

Reactions: cmo1037

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,552 Posts
As a professional trapper up here in norther British Columbia, I would say that you would die in the wilderness using those techniques. My advise is to learn actual techniques used by profesionals. Check out www.survivalsnaring.com
I also have a decade of experience trapping fur. I was a teenage farm kid at the time, not really a professional.

I agree that most folks would be unable to secure significant game using deadfalls due to their inexperience in judging where to put them, and the amount of work that goes into building them.

If you need to feed your self a couple of days, carry MREs.

If you need to feed your self a more than one week, carry some freeze dried meals, a fishing rod, a 22 LR pistol, and several steel traps and snares.

If you need to feed your self for a month or more, carry as much food as you can carry, a full fishing kit, 22 LR pistol, and at least two dozen steel traps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Hick I agree with you that a few steel traps are an excellent tool to have in survival situations as you can use them over and over again. Where traps fall down is that they are heavy to pack and they do not capture ungulates, fish and birds. Cable for snares can be salvaged from many places, they are light weight and deadly when you know how to use them. I never leave without a roll of 20 gauge wire in my pack and I am a full time hunter and trapper.

·
Banned
10,726 Posts
Usually, the words "survival in the wilderness" are your first tip that what comes next will not be that useful.

There is a guy on another outdoor forum that is a wildlife biologist in the Northwest Territories. He travels solo for weeks at all different times of the year. He relies on snares for a major part of his food supply along with a few staples.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A couple of years ago I researched survival snaring and trapping on the internet and noticed that all most all of the information was useless like the methods shown in the opening thread. I love the movie and story plot of man verses wilderness but usually get disappointed when Hollywood portrays survival situations as they never show anything realistic. If this thread has any merit at all it is to inform people that the methods shown above will not work in a survival situation. The evidence that I would provide to back up my point is that no professional trapper would ever consider using any of those techniques as they do not work effectively and that early fur harvesters switched to steel traps and snares immediately when they became available because they were far superior. If you have access to paracord in a survival situation then you should also have access to some wire from a wrecked plane, old cabin, motor or other. Wire can be used to snare squirrels, rabbits birds and fish effectively. If you do decide to master dead-falls, it is doable but requires a lot of practice to perfect and you probably would not want to figure it out when you are in a crisis. When I was up in the arctic teaching wolf trapping to the northern communities (The NWT GOV brought my up to teach in Inuvik, Aklavik and McPhersons) they showed me their dead-fall sets and they were not like the ones shown above. A proper dead fall set up has blocking and guiding so the animal is set up for a perfect strike when the trigger is set off and a lot of weight to crush the animal. As this is a survival forum and I am sure that most readers reading this post will have some interest in capturing food in a survival situation I will make this recommendation, put a 1 oz roll of 20 and 26 gauge wire in your survival bag or bug out bag, you will be way more effective capturing small game with that than paracord or dead-falls.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know a few things about survival, but definitely have so much more to learn. However, I agree that snaring must be used in conjunction with other means of acquiring food. Last year they had a show on NatGeo which intrigued me- The Last Alaskans. The producers definitely didn't sugar coat the reality and harshness of living only on what you can catch and the little you brought up with you for the 8 months a year these people live on their homesteads. There are so many variables. If you get a chance watch the series. Definitely an eye opener, and totally unlike any 'reality' survival show on the telly.

Of course every resident traps& snares. But they have many other ways of procuring food as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.