Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I want to create the best "safe room" I can on a silly small budget. Although I have great supplies in my basement, I read that some nasty gasses can settle low. So, as I re-locate my supplies to a room upstairs, I need to look into HEPA filters.

My main questions are: Do the quality of these devices vary much? Is there a brand that is a good deal that also works well? Are the ones w/battery back-up? Is there something about HEPA filters I should know about & might be overlooking?

Ideas, feedback, and advice are always appreciated! Thanks! - Riki Sarah.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
I have two plans for a safe room in case of different events

1 in the basement for nuclear fall out and 1 upstairs in case of gases. Maybe you could think of that plan. Gives you options.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Hello -

I want to create the best "safe room" I can on a silly small budget. Although I have great supplies in my basement, I read that some nasty gasses can settle low. So, as I re-locate my supplies to a room upstairs, I need to look into HEPA filters.

My main questions are: Do the quality of these devices vary much? Is there a brand that is a good deal that also works well? Are the ones w/battery back-up? Is there something about HEPA filters I should know about & might be overlooking?

Ideas, feedback, and advice are always appreciated! Thanks! - Riki Sarah.
Where are you going to get the power from to run the filter???? if you want cheep and you have a gen set already which has to be out side or you will die from monoxide posioning. The Honeywell 50250n

read all this you want the N it is a lifetime filter and can be cleaned

Also note that the advanced filters are only available on "50250N" machines. Some vendors still move the old 50250, advertising as if it has the permanent filter cartridge.

The way to distinguish the old from new is Honeywells packaging.

The box for the old style is prominently red and black, while the newer version comes in an off-white package with the words "LifeTime HEPA" printed on it.

But Honeywell deserves credit for addressing the biggest consumer complaint about HEPA air purifiers: filter replacement costs.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
What are you trying to do ??? if you want to keep biologicals out then you need something like a scrubber and that aint cheep. The filter will only make the dust better not keep out any radiation or viral stuff you would have to be in a closed enviroment. If its radiation that has you worried get pills and seal the house tight and stay inside for about 14 days most of the effects would be from fallout. If the stuff does not get on you you would have a very small chance of getting sick. If you are below ground in the basement and have a filter system it sure cant hurt. Just remember you will have to fill that generator so you will need guite a few paper suits duct tape and a good paint resperator with a closed face. and a clean room to wash off in when you come back in from outside. I would not want to go outside for the first three days. read this site they are about the best around http://ki4u.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts